Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

2 minutes ago, JJKK said:

It's nice to see it is fully inflated and not slowly melting away.  This guy is a fighter.

Yeah, according to what I've noticed, it does a lot of healing overnight. It inflates out pretty big, and then when the lights turn on it scrunches up a lot more. I cleaned out the inside of the cage tonight and turned on the other MP10 again. I was taking it easy for the first few days, but now it's just quality control. 

I'm daily taking photos just because I think this is going to make it, and I'd like to be able to go back and document the healing process time, and steps I took. 

In other news, I added an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid 36" mount to my current LED's. It blasts so much freaking light into the tank it makes it feel like I've muted everything with just LED's. It's also, however, VERY hot, and doesn't quite fit right with my light. I haven't quite decided if I like how it looks, if I'll keep it, or what!?

51696564378_c9786f21a3_o.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool that you are documenting this for educational value.

What bulbs you using for the T5s?  Maybe switch to purple or blue+ to eliminate the washed out brightness?

31 minutes ago, VA Reefdog said:

I'm not experienced with nems-- but it looks like it is going the right direction.  Hope it keeps on mending/improving.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I'm hoping so as well, I think it is! 

6 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Cool that you are documenting this for educational value.

What bulbs you using for the T5s?  Maybe switch to purple or blue+ to eliminate the washed out brightness?

It looks like 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus, 1/2 1/2 on either side. It's not washed out per say, it just makes my LED's look like nothing in terms of visual brightness. It might be just way to much light, but I wouldn't know without a par meter. 

Can't tell what I'm looking at. Are the T5's on? They are the "wings", right? Looks a bit odd since the wings are not coplanar but only thing that matters is the tank. Great job on the nem!

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Can't tell what I'm looking at. Are the T5's on? They are the "wings", right? Looks a bit odd since the wings are not coplanar but only thing that matters is the tank. Great job on the nem!

T5's straddled on top of my heatsink. Yeah, essentially the "wings." No, they were not on for the photo, it's a lot of light. I wish they were coplanar as well, but it feels like I'll have to do a lot of DIY hacking to make it adjust properly. I'm going to give it more than 24 hours to decide still. 

I have been thinking about swapping my lights over for a while now, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that I currently have, they are amazing, streamlined, getting the job done. I feel like it's one of the things left that I can mess with.

Re: Nem. Thanks! Not that I really had much to do here. I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, tbh. I'd like to be able to actually identify I mouth on the top, and wondering when it might be ready to take food. Until then I'll keep doing what I'm doing which is just obsessively monitoring my water quality, and taking photos of it daily. 

51698418195_4603ab0148_o.jpg

51696741812_c3d2c4f9c9_o.jpg

Funny thing about what my clowns are doing now though:

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a good thing with your lights... Personally I prefer t5 or t5 with led but if it's working and you like the light, I'd leave it alone.

In terms of the nem, personally I haven't had good luck with feeding during recovery.  I'd do the things you are doing and if it starts to recover and catches some small food on it's own, great.  I think it's hard for anemones to digest larger food and I know that a lot of people, myself included, no longer feed larger particles like shrimp or silversides, especially when not fully healthy.  

8 minutes ago, roni said:

Personally, I wouldn't mess with a good thing with your lights... Personally I prefer t5 or t5 with led but if it's working and you like the light, I'd leave it alone.

I love the t5/LED combo, which is essentially what this is. I've cleaned up the cords hanging in the back and ran them this morning all together. Holy moley does it slap. I think it looks a bit goofy, but Jack is right, the only thing that really matters is the tank. That's kind of true, but I still want to keep it looking clean "outside" as well. 

10 minutes ago, roni said:

In terms of the nem, personally I haven't had good luck with feeding during recovery.  I'd do the things you are doing and if it starts to recover and catches some small food on it's own, great. 

I agree with this, it's only been 6 days, but of course I'm trying to rush it. It's slowly started to try to squeeze through one of the cracks in the holding box, so it looks like it's got this tumor coming out of the box. It's also gotten very flat, but it does this during lights on. Part of the process I guess. 

12 minutes ago, roni said:

I think it's hard for anemones to digest larger food and I know that a lot of people, myself included, no longer feed larger particles like shrimp or silversides, especially when not fully healthy.  

I agree with this as well. Over Covid when I started spending quite a bit more time at home, I swapped over to feeding 100% frozen (LRS.) I thaw it out in a shot glass with saltwater, and I add Selcon into the mix. I spot feed the corals with the "juice" that comes off, and I feed the fish above the anemones or the trachy, they catch everything the clowns don't. I've never tried to do shrimp or silversides, just the same small chunks the fish eat. In typing this out, I realize it's not sustanable to think I'll be able to do this forever, but for now the tank loves the attention. 

I used this method back in 2013 except I frequently spot "fed" my golden torch. Here's a link to the thread of when it spawned in my 150. I ended up selling those babies once they turned into developed heads for $25 a pop, little did I know I was sitting on millions of dollars if I had waited until today, lol. 

Just because here's a photo I took this morning:

51697699336_13c79a76dc_o.jpg

Well, I guess I got a little excited setting up/trialing some T5 wings with an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid. I reorganized a bunch of cords and I guess I must have bumped my timer around. I woke up at 5am this morning to my tank lights still on, they normally go off around 11pm. I turned them off, and then found them on again at 9am when I stepped into the office. Everything has been bombarded with what I expect to have been 6-8 hours of additional light. I'm keeping the tank lights off for today and resetting tomorrow to hopefully get back into the circadian rhythm of things.

51699386322_f29a5e848c_o.jpg

51700857219_d81527cdb7_o.jpg

Ugh, sorry Isaac!  Hopefully the reset gets everyone back on track.  You might consider leaving the t5s off for a little while until the anemone recovers so as not to blast the tank or change too many things drastically.

If I could go back to 2013, I'd have bought some Bitcoin.  Then Aussie gold torches at $200/head would have seemed cute ;)

Isaac, saw your post on someone else's thread on your cleaning routine. Have a question...How do you clean your sump? Do you do it during a wc and take water out of your sump and scrub as necessary? That's it? Or do you detach plumbing and actually take it out of stand? I've got to create a routine like yours!

5 hours ago, roni said:

Ugh, sorry Isaac!  Hopefully the reset gets everyone back on track.  You might consider leaving the t5s off for a little while until the anemone recovers so as not to blast the tank or change too many things drastically.

If I could go back to 2013, I'd have bought some Bitcoin.  Then Aussie gold torches at $200/head would have seemed cute ;)

It's my own dang fault! I'm not running the T5's with the nem, the light even before this snafu always seemed to bother it a bit. It looks like a donut during the lights out period, and flattens during the daylight. Right on the Bitcoin, right on the Aussie Torches, lol. 

9 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Isaac, saw your post on someone else's thread on your cleaning routine. Have a question...How do you clean your sump? Do you do it during a wc and take water out of your sump and scrub as necessary? That's it? Or do you detach plumbing and actually take it out of stand? I've got to create a routine like yours!

It's a pain in the you know what, Jack. I have a hose hooked up onto an little pump that pumps into my filter socks. I then use the pump to stir everything up in the sump and go until it's running clear. I also have used a shop vac before and just done a water change to replace the volume of my sump. You might have to swap out the filter socks during this process is you go that way. 

I recently did swap my sump, and it wasn't as bit of a burden as I anticipated, but still pretty over the top to clean ;) 

Gotta have a routine, everything running at peak performance makes all a difference. 

39 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

It's a pain in the you know what, Jack. I have a hose hooked up onto an little pump that pumps into my filter socks. I then use the pump to stir everything up in the sump and go until it's running clear. I also have used a shop vac before and just done a water change to replace the volume of my sump. You might have to swap out the filter socks during this process is you go that way. 

I recently did swap my sump, and it wasn't as bit of a burden as I anticipated, but still pretty over the top to clean ;) 

Gotta have a routine, everything running at peak performance makes all a difference. 

Boy, that sounds like a pain. Almost as bad as testing! I will have to put this on the schedule then. I do have a "bucket head" shop vac attachment. It empties my  sump in 10 seconds. I guess that's not too bad. :)

I missed a few days, but that's OK, it pretty much looks the same. Today is day 10 out from powerhead mangling. One of my clownfish has a terrible case of popeye, just one eye, and I'm confident this is because I've run it out of house and home and forced to to host in the torch which is on the opposite side of the tank. Unfamiliar territory, higher flow, etc I'm sure it bumped something. I feel terrible, I've set forth a terrible state of events in this glass box that has just wrecked havoc on their lives. Here's to a healing end of the year! 

51706294116_afcbccd17c_o.jpg

51706965519_b74e599eaa_o.jpg

And today:

51707180600_858dca5e13_o.jpg

51706571833_1339235fb7_o.jpg

For those of you tracking, we're at the stage in which this CSB is starting to push out some tentacles if you look at the edges!

51711204309_19fdcbdfa7_o.jpg

That's good to see.  What if the mutilation morphed its DNA and you get flaming hot pink tentacles with streaking purple splotches?  If that's  the case, I am gonna need one back.

1 hour ago, JJKK said:

That's good to see.  What if the mutilation morphed its DNA and you get flaming hot pink tentacles with streaking purple splotches?  If that's  the case, I am gonna need one back.

we will find out!

will trade back for an og if that’s the case ?

5 hours ago, roni said:

Lol.  I'm glad it's starting to make a recovery

ditto!

I had trouble sleeping last night, so I used the blue flashlight at like 3am to see what tank life was like. The tips of the tentacles are all purple, and it's almost the only color that currently shows, pretty amazing! Here's some shots this morning before the lights came on:

51713145661_29bac71dd6_o.jpg

51713409518_3b7e6fe370_o.jpg

I was away this past week for business, and was thrilled to find a ton more tentacles developed on the CSB. Nature truly is amazing. The tips are a beautiful translucent pink, and you can already see some color spreading down them. Every day photos, and really every hour observation (tank is right by my desk) means the rapid growth doesn't feel so rapid. 

Now that it's starting to notably heal, I have started running the T5's for an hour a day. I will slowly bump up an hour I'm thinking a week. In between all of this mess, my Platinums started hosting the Indo Pink Tip Torch on the other side of the tank. One of them developed pop eye, I assume from running into something/being spooked in another region that in it's 5 years with me it's never ventured, even though it's only 2' away. When I came back I noticed it's eye is now completely gone, which means I now have two one eyed fish (the Watchman Goby came to me this way.) I also noticed the Plat had burn marks down it's side, which I presume is probably from the torch. I feel terrible, like I've forced this upon it, even though I know it's not my fault, there's a perfectly nice Dragon Soul colony closer to where the anemone was...

51722040477_15b819a0e9_o.jpg

51722040482_3d3bdd4d23_o.jpg

It looks great - all things considering.   Seeing the tentacle regrowth is awesome.  Bet you won't be able to tell what it went through in a couple of months.  Good job on nursing it back and documenting everything.

8 minutes ago, VA Reefdog said:

It looks great - all things considering.   Seeing the tentacle regrowth is awesome.  Bet you won't be able to tell what it went through in a couple of months.  Good job on nursing it back and documenting everything.

Thanks! I have pictures from pretty much every day, but I've realized that you can't really tell anything is happening in short bursts. Even between that photo posted and what it looks like today is pretty amazing. I've started blasting light again, and it shrinks up a bit during the day, but at night it swells up huge. Once it can start taking small bits of food, then I think I'll be in business.