Golden Torch, white dots and mucus

YHSublime

I have a golden torch that is doing fine, however, this evening there are a bunch of white dots (looks like eggs) in it, surrounded by a layer of mucus. It looks as if maybe my shrimp laid eggs and the torch caught them all? Maybe this bad cell photo will help ID what's happening here..

Dip it in something and see if any nasties come off.

I'm not very concerned about it, just curious as to if somebody knows what it is, it's weird!

Shrimp don't lay eggs..but possibly a snails ...

I guess they carry them in a sac, huh? I guess I didn't think that one through. How a snail would get eggs into the middle of my torch is beyond me, but not impossible I suppose.

Might have spawned? Can you see any of those dot in the tips of the tentacles? You have to look closely.

DING DING DING!

Poked around a little bit and looked closer, that is exactly what is happening. So freaking cool!

Yeah I saw that in one of my hammers at the store and now there are baby hammers all over the place. However I had a whole bunch of hammers close to each other in the same tank. If you only have one not sure if there is the sperm to fertilize the eggs you are seeing. Don't know that much about it and if they release both sperm and eggs to be fertilized on the water column.

Yeah I saw that in one of my hammers at the store and now there are baby hammers all over the place. However I had a whole bunch of hammers close to each other in the same tank. If you only have one not sure if there is the sperm to fertilize the eggs you are seeing. Don't know that much about it and if they release both sperm and eggs to be fertilized on the water column.

found this thread. I don't know how plausible it is, but says they are hermaphrodites, so maybe some baby torches in my future.  FWIW, the torch is two headed.

Yep keep an eye out for baby torches. They are really small. I only notice mine under blue LEDs and isn't know why here was a neon green dog between random corals.

Keep documenting this I see how long it takes to find the first one and how long they take to grow. :)

Yep keep an eye out for baby torches. They are really small. I only notice mine under blue LEDs and isn't know why here was a neon green dog between random corals.

Keep documenting this I see how long it takes to find the first one and how long they take to grow. :)

I've got the LED's over the tank as well, so we will see what happens. I'm pretty diligent at noticing new things or changes in my tank. I baby that torch, it was one of my first corals, and it's grown huge over the past 8 months or so. I feed it almost like I feed my nems, so I guess there is something to be said there for target feeding. Will keep this thread updated with the time stamps and see if anything comes from it!

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty cool to see. I kept my skimmer running and have some pretty good flow up around the top half of my tank. I figured most of what was there probably got pushed into the skimmer. If I had known what it was, I would have cut the pumps off and let it do it's thing. Either way, still checking every now and then for little gold spots!

Got a picture of the baby toxic hammer we have growin in one of our frag tanks now.  This one landed on a paly frag.  Palys don't like it too much as you can see :)

b(17).jpg

Nice pic. Not a surprising reaction from the paly. So, did this impact your selling price on the paly frag? :laugh:

Nice pic. Not a surprising reaction from the paly. So, did this impact your selling price on the paly frag? :laugh:

Actually yes.  I marked the frag higher because i don't want it to sell.  I want to watch the baby grow.  It's the only one that actually landed on a plug.  The rest are on the egg crate, overflow and other places I can get them off of.  LOL

Got a picture of the baby toxic hammer we have growin in one of our frag tanks now. This one landed on a paly frag. Palys don't like it too much as you can see :)

b(17).jpg

I have a Darth Maul(think that's what it is) zoa I bought from you and it has a baby hammer on it. I'll get a pic tomorrow

It's hard to see it from this picture but it's in the upper right part of the frag

Man, that's tiny!

So, Isaac: Did you ever come to a decision on what those white dots were?

Man, that's tiny!

So, Isaac: Did you ever come to a decision on what those white dots were?

DING DING DING!

Poked around a little bit and looked closer, that is exactly what is happening. So freaking cool!

Yep, it was indeed the same deal. My golden torch was spawning. I didn't cut my skimmer or my pumps at the time, or else I might have. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for little golden torches popping up, but realistically, I think my flow is pretty steady and heavy on the top half of my tank. Time will tell.

• 1 month later...

Well, I found what looked like a piece of frogspawn in the back of my tank. I realized that it was a baby golden torch! I glued it to a frag plug, and hope to see it fully extend again, maybe there are more!

That is so awesome! Love that is also documented. Let's see how long it takes to grow up. We can gain an all new respect things like this. :)

I hope to find more, will get some better pictures up soon, it's doing great!