Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

3 minutes ago, Apcoleman said:

That is such a nice nem and clown pairing! Very jealous as my clowns just look at my nems and go back to their corner.:why:

It loves the back of the rock still! Once (if) it works it's way around to the other side, I will be 100% in love with everything going on in the tank. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, roni said:

Looks great!  that's such a bright nem!  

Thanks Roni, here's a quick video from this morning right after the lights went on:

I guess I'll share the bad with the good. Last night the CSB took a walk into the MP10, of course it's right before I'm picking up my nem guards. The water was a little cloudy and the tentacles seem to be what took a beating, the foot is still pretty much intact, so I have great hopes that it will survive, although it's pretty mangled at the moment. 

Here's what I did:

- Removed the nem from the MP10 and put it in a bowl. 

- A five gallon water change (while quickly mixing up another 30 gallons and making more RO)

- Cleaned my skimmer cup (it got a lot of nem, it was slimy and smelt like anemone, you know what I'm talking about. 

- Replaced my filter socks. 

-Put the nem into the acclimation box

-Dimmed the lights back 50% for today

Pardon the cellphone photos, but this is no time to break out the DSLR

51686519306_4f46586a5b_o.jpg

51686794883_e5940bd05b_o.jpg

51686794898_0de3c23a44_o.jpg

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I was coming here to ask where you got the CSB and the lineage but I guess that's the least of your worries. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I was coming here to ask where you got the CSB and the lineage but I guess that's the least of your worries. Good luck!

Thanks, it's been a hectic morning, and one of those days I'm super thankful that I'm working from home and can be reactive. 

I got it from JJKK, who got it from Farmer Ty in terms of lineage. JJKK's was the size of a basketball, and is still just as big. I've done a 5 gallon water change, and will do another 5 gallon tonight once the water is mixed up. I normally have 30 gallons of saltwater on hand to do a 100% water change if needed, but I had obviously been slacking on my water mixing, of course! 

I have some BRS ROX .08 carbon, but I've never run carbon before. I was debating putting it into my filter sock, I don't have any bags to passively throw it in my sump, was thinking about buying some cheap nylons and using those, I dunno, it's a busy work day for me... 

Ugh that sucks. Running the carbon cant hurt in the sock. I have done that in a pinch. The BRS ROX is very effective so a little goes a long way 

4 minutes ago, Apcoleman said:

Ugh that sucks. Running the carbon cant hurt in the sock. I have done that in a pinch. The BRS ROX is very effective so a little goes a long way 

Cool, I appreciate the heads up. I'll probably throw 3 tablespoons and see what happens. Water isn't milky, but a little cloudy or lightly hazy. The nem appears to just be chilling in the box, just torn apart and mangled. I might try blowing a little water along side it tonight to see if the foot is grabbing, but I feel like the best method is just leave it be for as long as possible and let it heal, or die. 

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I might try blowing a little water along side it tonight to see if the foot is grabbing, but I feel like the best method is just leave it be for as long as possible and let it heal, or die. 

Sucks to see.  But this guy is pretty resilient.  As I have mentioned, this guy is a two legged nem.  When I tried to move it over a year ago, I accidentally tore its body when I thought I was in the clear getting one foot off the rock while not seeing another foot was locked in to another rock.  I quickly split it by manually tearing  without a knife or scalpel.

When I went to split this guy a couple of weeks ago, we were lucky that cutting the mouth in half did not require cutting through any part of each foot.  I think that's why it healed pretty quickly and the foot in your photo showed it so big.  I think it will recover over a couple of weeks, as long as the clowns do not jump on it like my boys jumping on a bean bag.

Will check with progress and let me know how I can help.

28 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Sucks to see.  But this guy is pretty resilient.  As I have mentioned, this guy is a two legged nem.  When I tried to move it over a year ago, I accidentally tore its body when I thought I was in the clear getting one foot off the rock while not seeing another foot was locked in to another rock.  I quickly split it by manually tearing  without a knife or scalpel.

When I went to split this guy a couple of weeks ago, we were lucky that cutting the mouth in half did not require cutting through any part of each foot.  I think that's why it healed pretty quickly and the foot in your photo showed it so big.  I think it will recover over a couple of weeks, as long as the clowns do not jump on it like my boys jumping on a bean bag.

Will check with progress and let me know how I can help.

I really appreciate all the support!

I'm also confident that this will be alright, as the day goes on the water has gotten better, the carbon is def helping. I was panicked this morning stepping into the office and seeing milky water and beautiful orange tips floating all over the tank like glistening snow or glitter in a globe. I'm more so kicking myself for not even putting my stupid foam MP guards on, or just flipping the dang rock, which is where it was on it's way to, the other side! 

I'm keeping it in the box away from the clowns, they would nuzzle it to snot if they could. As long as it's not rotting or disintegrating, I'm not even going to touch it and let it do it's thang. Luckily the skimmer was doing some work over night. 

9 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Can you see the mouth clearly?  If no damage to that, I think you should be in the clear.

It's hard to tell, it's def. mangled from the top not the bottom. I'm trying not to fuss with it too much as I think what will be will be, I don't believe there's anything else I can do on my end. 

oof that sucks, so sorry:( But nems are pretty resilient, so it might be ok. You may want to turkey baste all around the tank to make sure you get any remaining pieces. Hopefully all will be well.

6 minutes ago, jhOU said:

oof that sucks, so sorry:( But nems are pretty resilient, so it might be ok. You may want to turkey baste all around the tank to make sure you get any remaining pieces. Hopefully all will be well.

I actually did first thing while it was already cloudy and before the first water change. Carbon seems to be doing its job, will do another water change in the AM, and see how this torn carcass looks.

OK, can we talk about the magic of carbon? The water is absolutely beautiful this morning, especially considering the measly 3 table spoons I used.

Lets also talk about this mangled car wreck of an anemone. Overnight it made it all the way across the box to the furthest away point from where it started. The foot is grabbing and it's slashed insides hanging out looking not awesome. The clownfish are lost again, and solemnly hanging out by it, as if visiting their friend in the ICU, or some plexiglass jail. I'm cheered because I think this means with consistency and quality water, this crazy creature just might make a full recovery. 

51689191089_7b98df513f_o.jpg

51689410165_9226daa7e7_o.jpg

I do have a question that maybe WAMAS can help with:

My lights are still dimmed to 50%, I'll eventually have to turn them up again. The box will only fit at the top of the tank, should I worry about blasting it with too much light? Should I perhaps put a cover over one side of the box in case it would like relief? Am I overthinking this? 

So I had to move my dragon soul over to the other side of the tank in order to get the acclimation box in my small little tank. It looks like it's settling in OK.

51689187236_53f1e1e941_o.jpg

Here is a photo of it from the doorway side, or "right" hand side to me based on the way I view the tank most of the time.

51689187171_06218c48c8_o.jpg

51690081965_d38c5359fe_o.jpg

Here it is from the couch side, or the "left" hand side for me based on the way I view the tank.

51690081835_2e504de408_o.jpg

Just now, howaboutme said:

That last pic looks nasty! Hopefully all positive from now forward.

Somewhere in that mangled car wreck of snotty flesh is a mouth, and I hope the same. It's walked around, and is sticking, so I'm hopeful. Just not thrilled about keeping a box in there for a few months. 

1 minute ago, JJKK said:

It makes me squimish to look at those pics and I took a pair of scissors to that guy.

I like to think I have a way with words as well :)

It doesn't look awesome, but it's sticky and hopefully healing. I'm not sure what to do with all the flesh that's mangled and hanging off, but I'll leave it for now. I've turned my lights back up to 75%, if I see it moving around I'll try to cover one side of the box for it to have some respite if needed. 

Man, I'm sorry to hear about this.  Not sure about sunburst but when I had rbtas that wandered and got into places they weren't, I've torn them off and had the residual tissue grow back into a nem.  I know the exotic ones aren't at hardy but all you can do is what you're doing.  If you have a screen lid, put something over it to keep it from getting too much light while it recovers.  Fingers crossed

18 hours ago, roni said:

Man, I'm sorry to hear about this.  Not sure about sunburst but when I had rbtas that wandered and got into places they weren't, I've torn them off and had the residual tissue grow back into a nem.  I know the exotic ones aren't at hardy but all you can do is what you're doing.  If you have a screen lid, put something over it to keep it from getting too much light while it recovers.  Fingers crossed

Thanks, Roni. I'm finding the CSB isn't really exotic even though it looks great. It's pretty much just a hot BTA, lol. 

It shed some of it's chunks this morning that had been hanging off from the mouth portion/side. I picked them out and tossed them as I figured they would just rot in the water. Foot still holds, hard to tell what the heck is going on with the mouth/if there is one.

51692040965_54e75b071e_o.jpg

51691152776_2e3be9c4e2_o.jpg

Yesterday mouth and foot/back and front:

51696173611_bc78118d79_o.jpg 

51696173601_36ec3aeef7_o.jpg

Today mouth and foot/back and front:

51697059865_6c23b97b2a_o.jpg

51696449343_431629d50b_o.jpg