MACNA 2017 thread

Origami

It seems as if that info was released in some additional videos.  Here's what I got from a variety of sources:

• ​Alk: ~9 dKH
  • Ca: 440 - 440 ppm
  • Mag: 1,350 - 1,400 ppm

Thanks

Salt will be made in small batches, is designed to mix up clean, will be priced same as Reef Crystals or cheaper, and will initially be sold through DFS website but will spread through the distribution system in 2018.

wow, wow, wow... Tom, slow down your video makes me dizzy.

Yeah. It does that to me, too. I had 10 minutes to walk the floor and I put the phone in one of those modes where it shot something like 4 frames a second (which was the default rate). When played back, it went a lot faster than I expected. It gets a lot worse when I started panning the camera back and forth. A test run would have been good to have, but there wasn't time for that. There were a ton of MASNA members getting ready to storm the doors to begin cherry-picking the corals.

So, yeah, sorry for the vertigo-inducing run. It does give you a sense of the scale of the event, though. 

Thank you very much for thinking of us. Tom.

I'll try to do better in Las Vegas next year!

By the way, advance-purchase passes to MACNA 2018 were supposed to go up to $129 right after the conference but they're still on the MACNA 2018 website at $109. If you think that you might go, you may want to jump on this now. It's always possible to re-sell the passes several weeks to a few months before the show. (Don't wait until the last week like some people did, though.)

MACNA was fun! Getting out Sunday night was not....I finally made it home at 2am.

I returned last night without complication. I did meet a stranded couple from Houston. Water was said to be up to the doorstep of their house and their car was probably under 4 feet of water at the airport. They're stranded in New Orleans until at least Thursday. Luckily, the Hilton reduced their rate to $109 per night ($40 off). I guess they can sympathize with their situation as can many from New Orleans.

Could you get the scoop on the macro algae reactor and gyre 2k pump at coralvue?

I saw a post today on another site regarding a cell app and the Apogee sensor using something called uCache; was there anything about this at MACNA? Cost looked to be $500 for the sensor and dongle but it ported data to a cell phone vice the hand held unit from Apogee. 

I saw a post today on another site regarding a cell app and the Apogee sensor using something called uCache; was there anything about this at MACNA? Cost looked to be $500 for the sensor and dongle but it ported data to a cell phone vice the hand held unit from Apogee.

@ the 13:00 mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6_p5OoMAV0

I hope i'll be able to connect my SQ-520 to the Bluetooth dongle. That'll be nice!!!

Edited by Jerel

@ the 13:00 mark

I hope i'll be able to connect my SQ-520 to the Bluetooth dongle. That'll be nice!!!

Awesome, thanks. Should be a lot of cool features to come out of that. 

By the way, advance-purchase passes to MACNA 2018 were supposed to go up to $129 right after the conference but they're still on the MACNA 2018 website at $109. If you think that you might go, you may want to jump on this now. It's always possible to re-sell the passes several weeks to a few months before the show. (Don't wait until the last week like some people did, though.)

VEGAS! OH MAN!

DFS is offering a $25 gift certificate with purchase of the 50g bag of Live Aquaria salt right now. Figured I'd give it a shot and if I like it, the 200g box will only set me back about $30 if I stick with it using the certificate. 

MACNA was great fun! Got back Tuesday night with the wife. We won $250 in corals from WWC that went into QT Wednesday. Looks like the 2 acros didn't make it, but the other 3 frags did. I'm keeping the 2 acros in the QT tank for 30-60 days in case they decide to come back.

New Orleans was a lot of fun! Planning on skipping next years show. We've been to Vegas before.

MACNA was great fun! Got back Tuesday night with the wife. We won $250 in corals from WWC that went into QT Wednesday. Looks like the 2 acros didn't make it, but the other 3 frags did. I'm keeping the 2 acros in the QT tank for 30-60 days in case they decide to come back.

New Orleans was a lot of fun! Planning on skipping next years show. We've been to Vegas before.

Did you have any issues getting the coral on the plane or did you drive?  We have questions every year about the easiest way to get coral onto a plane as a carryon.  Live fish is less of an issue.

Took the live corals on the plane with me. They were in a special container built by Building an Obsession for airplane travel. TSA allowed it.

Nice. I remembered that container from the event, but wasn't sure who made it or if it really worked to get past TSA.  

Do they allow it because it contains living animals or because the volume of water is low enough to take on the plane?  It looked to me like it must hold about 12oz so it should be above the 3.4oz limit.

Because it's living animals in a specific container. They applied the fish rule. They were handing out the TSA rule that applied. Maybe on Building an Obsession's website. Volume of water is over the limit and negated by the fish rule.

Edited by FirstContact

I didn't want to risk carrying them on. I put the BAO frag transports in a small cooler in my luggage. Checked them. No problem whatsoever ever. Some people online were saying the TSA agents let them go through no problem after testing the water as they had seen many come through at that point. Some said they were turned away. Not a risk I wanted to take.

MACNA was great! I had a blast, and it was nice running into other WAMAS members.

I did screw up on my scheduled last day. I had a reminder that my flight was at 1:40p ET. Well, I kinda ignored the ET part, and as a result, I ended up getting there too late. I went back to MACNA, and was able to participate in the BRS raffle. I wound up winning a very nice, but unboxed Reef Brite hybrid MH/LED light, with a 250W bulb. Hmm, well, this was impossible to bring back without shipping, and there was no box, but fear not, another reefer to the rescue! I was offered cold hard cash, and I took it. More than made up for the extra hotel night, and I got to have dinner with Trent and Zoya of Crystal Dynamic, whom I had just purchased a new tank from. Pretty cool to hang out with your tank builder, and find out just how exacting their standards are. I can't wait to have it delivered!

The following day, I ran into our very own Tom again, and we grabbed lunch and made it to the same flight without any extra drama. Definitely sad to hear from some folks that were from Houston though.

Coverage of the show is tough. I know a whole bunch of people are doing it, but I feel like there's still a lot missing. Some of the more popular stuff is very well covered, and then others are just not at all. I was definitely a lot more thorough with questions this time around, since I was in the middle of my tank build out. Much different than going to my first MACNA where I wasn't terribly interested in new equipment.