Help with new clams

razzpatazzz

Hi wamas, I recently ordered an "ultra" maxima clam and a derasa clam w/ blue rim and got them today and have two problems with them. First, they sent me two extra maximas by accident so now I have 3 maximas around 1 inch and a derasa around 2 inches in my 75 gallon. I'm not sure if my system is able to support this many clams, if anyone has a better understanding of clams please let me know on this. Second, I noticed that the inhale siphon of the derasa wasn't connected (picture 1). Is this something critical/ worth bringing up to live aquaria or will it heal given time? Also do the other clams look all right? Two of them retracted when I turned down the blue, but hopefully you can see the mantle to check if it's bleached or damaged in any way. It doesn't to me, but I'm a rookie so I wanted to ask for some advice. Thank you in advanced.

Tank is about 6 months old, 450 ppm  calc, 9.8 alk, 2 nitrate, 0.3 phosphate

post-2636421-0-61752600-1499381138_thumb.jpg

post-2636421-0-22373900-1499381155_thumb.jpg

post-2636421-0-95621900-1499381488_thumb.jpg

post-2636421-0-53063000-1499381492_thumb.jpg

Even the mantle of the derasa? Also, I know it is but I talked about it to a few reefer friends and they thought it would be fine. If it goes badly they offered to take care of it for the next few months until my tank matures more so I hope it all goes well on that front.

(edited)

I don't see anything particularly out of the ordinary for new clams. They typically rebound within 24 hours (no gaping and nice mantle extension) provided your water isn't out of whack. They're amazingly resilient critters and you wont notice any bleaching with in a day and you cant give them too much light so I wouldn't about that. 

Edited by madweazl

I don't see anything particularly out of the ordinary for new clams. They typically rebound within 24 hours (no gaping and nice mantle extension) provided your water isn't out of whack. They're amazingly resilient critters and you wont notice any bleaching with in a day and you cant give them too much light so I wouldn't about that. 

I'm glad to hear that. I guess I was just overly worried because I saw that the derasa clam's mantle wasn't a solid piece and was disconnected at the bottom unlike other pictures I have seen. So this is nothing to be too worried about, then?

I personally used alot of phyto when my clams were that small to help until they were at least 2.5" just my personal take on it

It's hard to tell in your image but they can heal rapidly in good conditions (harder to achieve with young tanks but not impossible). 

It's hard to tell in your image but they can heal rapidly in good conditions (harder to achieve with young tanks but not impossible). 

It's just not connected at all, like someone took a knife and cut right down the middle of the intake siphon until it became 2 distinct edges. It's healed separately as far as I can tell so its literally just two separate mantles on the bottom. 

I personally used alot of phyto when my clams were that small to help until they were at least 2.5" just my personal take on it

Any advice on feeding? How often/ what time of day and broadcasting vs spot feeding? Also I have phyto and oyster that I was broadcasting. Hopefully that cuts it.

(edited)

It's just not connected at all, like someone took a knife and cut right down the middle of the intake siphon until it became 2 distinct edges. It's healed separately as far as I can tell so its literally just two separate mantles on the bottom. 

Any advice on feeding? How often/ what time of day and broadcasting vs spot feeding? Also I have phyto and oyster that I was broadcasting. Hopefully that cuts it.

My advice on feeding is don't; I know this contradicts another users experience but they absolutely do not need to be fed (there is lots of factual data regarding this). I say this because you're adding another variable to a young tank which likely isn't a good idea at this stage. 

Edited by madweazl

My advice on feeding is don't; I know this contradicts another users experience but they absolutely do not need to be fed (there is lots of factual data regarding this). I say this because you're adding another variable to a young tank which likely isn't a good idea at this stage. 

Should I stop broadcast feeding for now too then? I was doing it mostly for corals so I was wondering.

Should I stop broadcast feeding for now too then? I was doing it mostly for corals so I was wondering.

My point in the statement was to not change what you've been doing since you started up. If you've been broadcast feeding, continue to do so. If you just started with the introduction of the clams, I personally would stop. Many members have had success with many methods, I just don't like introducing new variables especially when there is no actual need to do so for the clams. 

Your clams will be happier if you place them on a stable, concave piece of rock so they can attach to it.

Otherwise they're going to be falling over all the time.

clams that size are probably the most difficult to keep alive. very high mortality rate. IMO, it's best to buy clams 4" or larger.

+1 never buy small clams.  3" is my minimum for buying clams.

Your clams will be happier if you place them on a stable, concave piece of rock so they can attach to it.

Otherwise they're going to be falling over all the time.

+1 Just make sure you never want to move them  :P

+1 Just make sure you never want to move them  :P

Too true!  What I should've made clearer is to place them on a smallish, flat rock that's just a little bit larger than the clam itself.  

Big enough to provide stability, but small enough to allow you to move the calm around.  You can even bury the rock in your sand bed if you want.

Too true!  What I should've made clearer is to place them on a smallish, flat rock that's just a little bit larger than the clam itself.  

Big enough to provide stability, but small enough to allow you to move the calm around.  You can even bury the rock in your sand bed if you want.

For around $3 I have gotten clam cradles from Alternative Reef at MACNA 2016.  It's a little concave ceramic thing that you can set the clam in so the byssal threads can attach but you can still move it.  I think I've seen someone with them at WAMAS meetings too.  Maybe FishNReef or another sponsor.

For around $3 I have gotten clam cradles from Alternative Reef at MACNA 2016.  It's a little concave ceramic thing that you can set the clam in so the byssal threads can attach but you can still move it.  I think I've seen someone with them at WAMAS meetings too.  Maybe FishNReef or another sponsor.

FishNReef is the one that comes to meetings and sells these. I don't think that I've ever noticed them making them for tiny clams, though. They would be rather easy to make - portland cement and aragonite/crushed coral - but would probably take a while (a month  or more) to cure.

https://www.fishnreef.com/natural-reef-rock-clam-cradles.html

For around $3 I have gotten clam cradles from Alternative Reef at MACNA 2016. It's a little concave ceramic thing that you can set the clam in so the byssal threads can attach but you can still move it. I think I've seen someone with them at WAMAS meetings too. Maybe FishNReef or another sponsor.

I actually talked to reef eScape and they said something like this should be coming in soon. Hopefully I'll get my hands on them soon so I don't have to leave the clam on the sandbed forever.

You could also just epoxy two or three pieces of rock rubble together and make a simple cradle-like indent. The clam will set down byssal threads on it's own..

You could also just epoxy two or three pieces of rock rubble together and make a simple cradle-like indent. The clam will set down byssal threads on it's own..

That's a great idea.  Use some reef epoxy to make yourself a little cradle for them.