For those that care...............

Leishman

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a soccer question. I'm fairly new to Premier League soccer but because of my husband (he played soccer in England while in college) and the fact that I'm kind of a sports nut anyway, I've watched a lot on Directv channels over the last few years. When the games start and the players come out from the tunnels some of them have kids with them. Who are those kids (their kids, kids that get the "honor" of coming out with the team, etc.)?

Eve

Make sure you get Univision. They have all the games, all of them. My experience has been that sometimes ESPN blacks out or transmit the games few minutes or few hours later. Univision always has them live, although the commentators are in spanish, you can always turn the volume down, or perhaps learn a little span-glish he he he.

The kids are usually mascots or priviledge kids that got the honor to come out with the team. Usually local youth soccer teams.

In my bill from DirecTV, it had an advert in it for Setanta Sports. Claims they are the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany licensed broadcaster. $11.95/mo.

Anyone know anything about this channel? Will it be in HD? I suspect it is much like Univision, but in English.

Thoughts?

s

I have a soccer question. I'm fairly new to Premier League soccer but because of my husband (he played soccer in England while in college) and the fact that I'm kind of a sports nut anyway, I've watched a lot on Directv channels over the last few years. When the games start and the players come out from the tunnels some of them have kids with them. Who are those kids (their kids, kids that get the "honor" of coming out with the team, etc.)?

They are the "Ball Boys". Same idea as the bat boy in baseball, and ball boys/girls in tennis. They are son's, frineds of club member's etc... They chase down the ball when it's out of play and toss it to the players

Thanks guys for the explanation. I never noticed that they actually had a role in the games (ball boys) - must be a thrill for them!

CJ - what's Univision? I've heard the name but don't know whether it's a channel or cable/satellite service? I have Directv - is it available through them? If it's not - I'm not changing. I stay where NFL Sunday Ticket is :-)

It is a coral..... have a look:

world_cup.jpg

If you get a colony, give me a frag? Heheheheh

We have that coral...... But it's on the NFS shelf.

Doesn't Arlington Cinema Draft house run the games?

Why don't we all meet down there for a game. So we can deliver the trash talking in person rather than on the board.

Nevermind - I found Univision. It's on channel 402 on Directv.

BTW - If anyone knows where to get a schedule like the one Rik posted but for CFL games (maybe by month or even weekly), let me know where it is.

yes, 402 and Univision west is 403. Also Galavision is an option on channel 404. You can always learn a little span-glish through the commentators. :biggrin:

In my bill from DirecTV, it had an advert in it for Setanta Sports. Claims they are the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany licensed broadcaster. $11.95/mo.

Anyone know anything about this channel? Will it be in HD? I suspect it is much like Univision, but in English.

Thoughts?

s

Setanta is a Soccer Network channel that broadcasts to bars, pubs, and now apparently through DirecTV to home subs. Definitley not HD. Dont' bother with it... all 64 matches will be shown on ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, and ABC-HD.

-Rob

Gracias, me gusta la pintura. Yeah, I heard Arlington Cinema Draft House is showing the games on the big screen, as long as they don't interfere w/ pre-planned events.

Guest Yomeister66

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. England at 9 AM on Sat, HOLLAND at 9 AM on Sun. That's not too early too drink, is it?

Rik, don't worry about the Three Lions getting eliminated by Argentina this time around. We'll take care of them for you in the group phase.

Have to play around with the spreadsheet to see if it's possible but I'm hoping for an Orange - Yellow final (Holland-Brazil).

Ah, HD and surround sound....what did we do before those were invented :cheers:

If the US beats the Czech Republic on the 11th, they'lll have a chance. Tough group!! (Maybe the bribery scandal will distract the Italians, but Ghana has been looking strong the last few weeks)

Anybody playing in any of the many Fantasy Leagues? Maybe we should start a WAMAS competition?

Johan

Arghhhhh!!! I can't believe I 'm traveling again this week for work! Looks like I'll be recording both Friday games on my DVR and watching them Friday evening... Anyone welcome to drop by. Party starts at 6PM... Both games recorded in HD. :cheers:

Prediction for Friday

Germany-Costa Rica 2:1

Poland-Ecuador 3:0 (Go Polska!!!!) :bounce:

-Rob

England at 9 AM on Sat, HOLLAND at 9 AM on Sun. That's not too early too drink, is it?

Naaaa, it is 5:00 o'clock some where and it is 2:00 PM in England when the game starts,, so go ahead.. drink :bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

It's time to unleash the Beast

rooney_1.jpg

Not to Hijack this thread but.......

I am not cool with Carolina beating Edmonton.

Kinda the same way I was not cool with Toronto winnning the World Series in baseball (twice)

Not to Hijack this thread but.......

I am not cool with Carolina beating Edmonton.

Kinda the same way I was not cool with Toronto winnning the World Series in baseball (twice)

I wanted the 'canes to win. Keep the Cup in the SE Division: Bolts, 'canes..... Caps????

Not a worry Byron

The way England are playing at the moment, we need all the hijacking we can get.

The only beast we are unleashing boredom

Some England regular season pay check stats for you

Wayne Rooney - Manchester United - Born: UK, 1985 - Unmarried, girlfriend

Annual:

how ironic is it that america wins such a worldly event almost every year!

no wonder the world hates us.

Guest Yomeister66

how ironic is it that america wins such a worldly event almost every year!

Didn't baseball try its version of the World Cup this spring? And didn't the US get eliminated well before the final?

I'm waiting for my orange lederhosen to come in the mail:

Dutch fans watch match in their underwear

BERLIN, June 17 (Reuters) - Hundreds of Dutch fans had to watch their team's 2-1 win over the Ivory Coast in their underwear in Stuttgart on Friday after stewards at entry points to the stadium rumbled an ambush marketing ploy.

The Netherlands supporters all turned up in garish orange lederhosen displaying the name of Dutch brewery Bavaria and were ordered to remove them by stewards before being allowed to enter the Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion.

They then went into the match and watched it in their underwear.

Anheuser Busch's Budweiser is the official beer for the tournament and world soccer's governing body fiercely protects its sponsors from brands which are not FIFA partners.

Markus Siegler, FIFA's director of communications, said at its daily media briefing on Saturday that the governing body was alert to the kind of 'ambush' marketing Bavaria had attempted.

'Of course, FIFA has no right to tell an individual fan what to wear at a match, but if thousands of people all turn up wearing the same thing to market a product and to be seen on TV screens then of course we would stop it.

'I don't know exactly about what happened in Stuttgart, but it seems like an organised attempt to conduct a mass ambush publicity campaign was taking place.'

Peer Swinkels of the Dutch brewery said it was 'absolutely ridiculous' and 'far too extreme' to order the fans to take off their lederhosen and said the brewery had complained to FIFA.

'I understand that FIFA has sponsors but you cannot tell people to strip off their lederhosen and force them to watch a game in their underpants. That is going too far.'

Most people had hopefully been wearing orange underwear, he added, denying that the trousers were an ambush and describing them instead as a Dutch nod to German culture.

Only men had been forced to strip according to his information, he added.