For those that care...............

Leishman

hey one of two things...

1) clean the tank, skimmer and sump pump

or

2) watch replays of the first 54 WC matches on TiVo :biggrin:

By the way:

I said back in June 2 at 11:28 AM; Brasil and to keep an eye out for England, Argentina, France and Japan. Not bad, Four out of Five in the last 8... not bad.....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yomeister66

Is it me or do the ABC / ESPN commentators suck? I just can't stand to listen to the "expert" comments by morons like Wynalda, Balboa, O'Brien or that italian "Giorgio" guy (not to mention Tommy Smyth). Even JP Dellacamera and Harkesy are not their usual self.

Thank heavens for Fox Soccer Channel. Their commentators are lightyears better, but unfortunately they can only do "After-Action" commentary. (Cobi Jones and Preki restore my faith in players-turned-broadcasters and Bobby McMahon is just a never-ending source of knowledge and insight. He's a gentleman to boot). Still not as good as the BBC guys but they're making headway.

Oh well, one more reason to watch Telemundo.....their broadcasts are about 1 sec ahead of ESPNs HD broadcast, which in turn are about 1 second ahead of the regular broadcasts (Yes, I have checked that, and yes, I know that makes me weird). :cheers:

It is not you.. and yes they suck. I am so glad I know spanish. When I watch the matches on Univision the commentators have great analysis, past and present examples, they tell you who plays where and which players are mates in their professional leagues (La-Liga Spain, Italy, EPL, etc.). They go back few decades and provide history (past games) between countries, their scores, their technical directors or coach and past WC apperances. They critizise the referee and explain the reason for yellow cards or lack of. Most of the commentators are ex-football players. One of them is Chilaverde retired Goal Keeper for Paraguay National Team whom scored 60 goals during his career as a goal keeper, why? cause he kick penalties and mid-distance faul kicks. The others are players that played in previous World Cups from Mexico, Argentina and Brasil. Check them out, you might be impressed.

Guest Yomeister66

One of them is Chilaverde retired Goal Keeper for Paraguay National Team whom scored 60 goals during his career as a goal keeper, why? cause he kick penalties and mid-distance faul kicks. The others are players that played in previous World Cups from Mexico, Argentina and Brasil. Check them out, you might be impressed.

Thanks. I'll have to brush up on my Spanish. Chilavert was (is) a fantastic character (and an awesome goalie)....I bet he's as interesting as a commentator.

Guest Yomeister66

Bet even Cliff Claven didn't know this:

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/us_soccer_history.htm

The Oneidas of Boston, the first organized soccer club in America, were formed by Gerritt Miller Smith. The Oneidas were undefeated from 1862-65. A monument now stands in Boston Common, where the Oneidas played their home matches.

1865-1876

Soccer was initiated as an organized college sport in the USA in the years following the Civil War. Princeton and Rutgers Universities engaged in the first intercollegiate soccer match November 6, 1876, in New Brunswick, N.J. Rutgers won the match 6-4. The game was more similar to both rugby and soccer than gridiron football.

1876-1880

Thousands of British immigrants arrived in the metropolitan areas of the East, Midwest and Pacific Coast. Communities with textile mills, shipyards, quarries or mines also had soccer teams among its immigrant population, a pattern occurring all over the world during the time of the Industrial Revolution.

The American Football Association was organized in Newark, NJ, uniting the numerous metropolitan area enclaves of the East to maintain uniformity in the interpretation of rules and provide an orderly and stable growth of soccer in America.

1885-1886

The U.S. and Canada played a game a year against each other, representing the first "international" soccer games to take place outside of the British Isles.

wow, thanks. that is good information for those who love Soccer.

Chilavert, yes that is right, I mispelled his las name. He is hilarous when commenting about the referees, specially the one that called the PK against Australia in the match with Italy. He call is the most gross error made by a referee in Germany. Can't agree more. I stilll believe Australia should be in the finals not Italy. But again, like Rik said, they didn't do the job even when Italy played one men down.

ok fans/.///

ONE MORE DAY/...

I can't wait for the ARG vs GER game tomorrow morning... man that is going to be a previous to the final WC match.... those two hate each other since 1978 WC in Argentinia... and it is going to be very very competitive.

Rik

ready for England? I guess yes :cheers: Good Luck

how about Germany Vs Argentina? did you like that game?

H-E-double hocky sticks of a game., now what a shame for those "Pibes" like Heinze, Rodriguez and Gonzalez whom resulted to use of fists and punches after the game was over... why where they going agains the German guy in the black suit I think is Oliver Vierkof? I may have misspelled his last name.

Also, you think Abbondanzieri really got hurt? I doubt he wanted to leave the game, but didn't look like a real fatal clash.?

Hey, great job by Lehman, the goal keeper. Germany to semifinals, well I think we all saw that one coming. :biggrin:

Hey people,

I Just found this thread. I have been away from the forums for a bit. I'm finally over Ecuador's loss and can be happy they made the second round. I agree with Jake, the Argentina-Germany game was a hard fought one. It definitely came down to goalies in the end. I can't imagine Abbondonzieri faked anything. It fourced a early game sub. If he didn't leave the game Argentina could have used a sub in overtime or at least early in regulation. Having someone like Saviola or Messi could have put lots of pressure on Germany. Lehman was a rock during the Pk's and Franco looked completely out of his element. I totally missed what happened after the game though So I cannot comment.

A couple other quick comments:

- Horrible referee jobs in most of the games. Chilavert bashing the refs by giving them scores is right on. I think FIFA is as much to blame as anyone. These ref themes they come up with help create spotty referee calls. I think there need to be more refs on the field and instant replays be consired for PK calls and maybe red card calls as well. The head ref has far too much power in influencing the game.

- I had high hopes for Spain, but they peaked too early and France peaked at the right moment. Their late cup experience should help them against Brazil.

David

Guest Yomeister66

England, Brasil.... the best teams are now gone...

{Step on Soapbox}

Both Brasil and England looked fantastic on paper, but like Real Madrid has shown in club competition, eleven superbly talented individuals does not make a championship team.

Brasil never looked like an actual team this tournament and England suffered from Ericsson-disease. 4-5-1 is not a system the English ever looked comfortable with. He really painted himself in a corner by only appointing 4 forwards (two of whom were recovering from serious injuries and one of whom never even played in the EPL). Props to much-maligned Owen Hargreaves for a fabulous match, though.

France, and Zidane in particular, looked like 1998 / 2000 vintage for the first time in recent memory.

I'm really starting to develop a deep dislike for Portugal, especially Figo and C. Ronaldo. Players of that caliber shouldn't have to flop around like a fish every time they get touched, trying to get their opponents carded. (If I were Rooney, I'd take some serious revenge on the Man U. training ground, as suggested by the great Alan Shearer). The Portuguese also endanger the sportmanship inherent in the game by going to ground every time they lose possession, hoping their opponents will put the ball out of play. (Maybe they have been watching Carlos Ruiz doing the same for FC Dallas in the MLS)

For the France - Portugal game we don't need referees, we need judges. It looks like an Olympic diving contest......pretty sure I saw Greg Louganis sitting next to Big Phil on the bench.

I'm hoping for a France - Italy final......(repeat of the 1938 final in Paris)

{Step off soapbox}

As an FYI, July 12 DC United - Celtic at RFK, July 15 Crystal Palace - Crystal Palace USA (PDL) at the Naval Academy)

Brasil's performance has been puzzling. Usually their strength is that despite having lots of top players, they do play like a team. For some reason, as pointed out by Yomeister, they have not. I think part of it might be coaching, they seemed to try to play too much like Argentina or European teams when that is not their strength as a team all tournament. Part of it may be overconfidence. Even down 1-0 they seemd to play like they not only would catch up and win, but deserved to (kind of like when Japan went up 1-0 against them). Unfortunately for them, Japan is no France. Zidane and Ribery played amazing soccer and helped really take Brasil out of their comfort zone. Not only did they they keep Ronaldinho (although I don't think it was his best day anyways) from distributing, they clogged up the midfield passing lanes, confounding Brasil.

As for the Portugal game, I do see Yomeisters point about taking to the ground. That team does that far too much. I am not sure I can really blame C. Ronaldo for falling though. The Dutch targeting him for harm was shameful. Those two cleats up kicks within 5 minutes took him out of the game. I think he wanted to avoid that happening to him again.

Ok my soapbox comment:

With respect to Rooney, I apologize if I insult anyone, but his actions were ridiculous and embarrasing. Not only does he stomp on a guys privates, but he shows zero remorse. Let's just say it was a total accident (which I doubt, players know where their bodies are when still on their feet). How about checking to see if the other guy is ok? When C. Ronaldo comes over to complain, he shoves him (a teammate on Man U no less). I think that's what secured his red card; that he didn't even try to see if the other player was ok, and on top of that shoved another player not 2 feet from the ref. Let's even say the red card was too much. Why would you shove a player in front of a ref after hurting another player. It's just plain stupid at the recreational level much less at the world cup. There is no place for a player like that on a national team. He should be dropped from the team until he can show some maturity. Let's not foget Rooney has been far from an angel during his short career. He's a loose cannon and England rolled the dice playing him and lost. He cost England a man at a critical point and for what? A professional foul? A badlt timed tackle frombehind? Nope, for acting like a playground bully. My father called it, he said after Rooney's first game that he would cost England, and he was right. I feel bad for the rest of the team, because they had to play with ten men (and no Beckham) and try to score in regular time before they got tired (and did a pretty good job at that).

Ok end soapbox.

Kudos to France. Italy Germany should be interesting. At least we won't have a repeat of the 2002 final.

Sorry Rik!

Congrats JC!

Who still has teams still in?

Being 50% German I,m rooting for them!

I guess Eddie was right when he posted early on this thread (see below) that Italy will win the WC and the tournament was just to decide who will come in second. :bounce: Given the corruption scandals going on in Cio Classe A League in Italy, I won't doubt this WC is fixed too. The Italian Football Federadion is reserving their judgement for July 12, wow how convenient just after the FINAL on July 9. So, play with the Cosa Nostra Mob and bet on Italy you could win lots of $$$. :biggrin: just kidding on the MOB thing.

The Earth stops rotating, time stands still and the sun always shine when the World Cup is on. I have scheduled my time off through the final, when Italia will defeat whomever they play.

The only reason all the other games are played is to determine who will come in second.

Now that my team is out, ... sorry Yomeister, I will like to see Portugal WIN, just because is the only team from the four competing that has never won a WC, because Australia was robbed on that PK against Italy, because France already WON in 98, and Germany is the home team, has all the back up they need giving them an advantage. I said before NED/HOL played their hearts out against Portugal and they too deserve to WIN, but they are not in the finals.

On Rooney, he was a Bully. He behaved like eveyone predicted during the WC, even Chilavert and Bracamontes said it on Univision TV during the game coverage more than five times...quote: " he is behaving like a bad-bad kid, a rascal... there is no room for players like him in a WC". Hey Rik and Doug, I'm just quoting what these commentators and past WC football players said during the transmission of the England Games.

Germany Vs Italy -- July 4. I pick Germany

Portugal Vs France -- July 5, I go with Portugal

Let's see what happens. you can all brag about it after the fact. but so far I been the only one picking games. :wink: ,, just having fun :smokin:

Yes, Italia is still in it. How about that? Yes, I have read all the whining about not deserving to be there due to the pk against Australia. Get over it. Australia played a man up for a full half and could not muster a decent shot on goal. They deserved to lose. The pk was merited, that absolutely was a foul. Personally, I would not have called it given the fact it happened just before the end of the game, but what the H-E-double hocky sticks is the Australian player doing taking that kind of chance? He got beat and brought the player down.

No one is mentioning that Italia's defense has been nothing short of extrordinary. We have not given up one goal (the goal against the US was an own goal), and other than the game against the Czech republic Buffon has not been tested at all. Our midfield is dispersing the ball well and setting up our forwards as they should. If Totti could actually shoot straight, we would have scored at least three more goals. We belong there.

Germany is going to be tough, they have a solid team throughout. The fact they are the home team makes them the favorite, it should be a good game.

Portugal absolutely does not belong there. They have played poorly and have created no scoring chances to speak of.

France, as much as it pains me to say this, has constantly improved after the first round. Zidane looks like is 10 years younger than he actually his and Henry is making the most of the few chances he is getting.

So who will win? I desperately want a rematch of the 1990 European Championship when France stole the match from Italia. We'll see.

Guest Yomeister66

I'm with Eddie.

Not only has Italy's defense been watertight, the team has been playing better as the tournament went on (yes, I know the Aus game was decided in the 90+ minute by a dubious penalty but Italy was the better team overall in that match. I do think the Aussies were a better team than they were given credit for, especially the way they took on Brazil...and don't forget that Germany was better than Poland but didn't score till stoppage time in order to secure first place in the group).

Germany has been getting better as the tournament went on, especially defensively and the French didn't wake up from their 3 year nap till Spain scored on them. Portugal was in an easy group and failed to impress, then they had the streetfight with Holland and an unimpressive 0-0 against ENG. They're posers but then again, als Greece showed in Euro2004, all you need is a couple of 1-0 victories and a little bit of momentum to win the Cup.

July 9: ITA - FRA.....

Looks like I need a new Avatar.

Time to qualify for Euro 2008...........

Sat 2 Sept

EURO 2008 Qualifier, Group E, Manchester United FC

ENGLAND

v

ANDORRA

Live on BBC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed 6 Sept

EURO 2008 Qualifier, Group E

MACEDONIA

v

ENGLAND

Live on Sky Sports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat 7 Oct

EURO 2008 Qualifier, Group E, Manchester United FC

ENGLAND

v

MACEDONIA

Live on BBC

Wed 11 Oct

CROATIA

v

ENGLAND

Live on Sky Sports

Wed 15 Nov

International Friendly

HOLLAND

v

ENGLAND

Sat 24 Mar

ISRAEL

v

ENGLAND

Wed 28 Mar

ANDORRA

v

ENGLAND

Live on Sky Sports

Wed 6 June

ESTONIA

v

ENGLAND

Live on Sky Sports

Sat 8 Sept

ENGLAND

v

ISRAEL

Live on BBC

Wed 12 Sept

ENGLAND

v

RUSSIA

Live on BBC

Sat 13 Oct

ENGLAND

v

ESTONIA

Live on BBC

Wed 17 Oct

RUSSIA

v

ENGLAND

Wed 21 Nov

ENGLAND

v

CROATIA

Live on BBC

Guest Yomeister66

Rik

with that schedule and those teams, I for-see England qualifying. :bounce:

Top two in every group go through to Euro2008 (7 groups + hosts Switzerland and Austria for a total of 16 teams). England has a great chance but Croatia is a tough team and Russia just signed coach Guus Hiddink who led Holland, South Korea and Australia to successful WC campaigns in 98,02 and 06. Ought to be interesting.

1 more hour till France - Portugal.....Allez Les Bleus!!! :cheers: (how come there's no emoticons drinking wine)

Yomeister, you come across as a very intelligent person. Please don't tell me that is incorrect and you actually are rooting for France!

I am hoping they beat Portugal but only so Italia can destroy them on Sunday. Forza Italia!!

Guest Yomeister66

Yomeister, you come across as a very intelligent person. Please don't tell me that is incorrect and you actually are rooting for France!

I am hoping they beat Portugal but only so Italia can destroy them on Sunday. Forza Italia!!

aren't they both blue? My Italian sucks and my French is limited to what's in my post. But just for you: Forza Italia!!! (Or Azzurra...your pick) :biggrin:

Edit: Actually, I was just referring to my support for the French against the Portuguese. Guess that's the end for the "Golden Generation" (which never won squat). Like Dutch Goalie van der Sar said: we were the better team, they were the smarter team. The diving and headgames might have worked against the young 'uns from HOL and ENG but the French defense and midfield are too smart to fall for that.

ITA-FRA ought to be interesting. Have to give the nod to Italy. French defense is great. Weak link is Barthez. Midfield is excellent but I don't think they should start Henry...he didn't look hungry and had too many communication breakdowns with his midfielders. I'd start Trezeguet. The Italians just keep getting better.....10 different goalscorers so far....my guess ITA 2- FRA 0. Still...Zidane is da man!

Oh, and as an encore, Group B for Euro 2008 qualifying has 3 WC participants..ITA, FRA and UKR...only 2 go through:

Group B

Teams Pld W D L GF GA Pts

France 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Italy 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Scotland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Faroe Islands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Lithuania 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Georgia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ukraine 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Darn...I love this game!! :wig: :rollface: