uuuggghhh

treesprite

Dinos in my 12g Aquapod. Trying to figure out where they came from, because there isn't anything new in there.

Last time I had dinoflagellates in a tank, was about a decade ago. All I did then was leave the lights out for several days, dinos went away and never came back.

If I just dip everything and transfer it all to another tank, will that get rid of the dinos? I mean, it's just a 12g tank and I've got 2 x 20g tanks never used, just sitting in the junk room.

if you have Instagram theirs this girl named @Aqua_tank_girl she recently battled it and won. Maybe you can get some tips from her. She's a clown breeder in Australia.

(edited)

I just want to know what I should dip stuff in before putting it in another tank. I am worried about this stuff being on coral bases and zoa frag plugs, and need to get it off the rocks. Will freshwater dip work, or do I need to mess with coral disinfectant? I can use water and sump rock from non-dino system in the new tank, so I won't have to worry about cycling.

I need to use a bigger tank anyway, because there is too much crammed in this 12g and it is too small to put in more circulation to get around all the rock... everything crammed together like that might be contributing to the growth of the dino. I just bought these 20s a month ago during the $1/g sale.

Edited by treesprite

I received 10 or so frags from a tank with Dino.  I put them in a 6 gallon nano cube without doing anything (no dips etc..., I didn't even remove the plugs) and watched them for a few months and the dino never showed up.  I also did little to no water changes and grew a lot of algae.  My theory was this would starve any dino that may have come in with the frags.  After 3 months or so the corals looked great and made it to my display. 

Dinos are gone except one 1/4" spot which is just the bottom, no string or bubbles. I had the lights off, except a couple hours last night because I needed to feed the 2 damsels in there. Can't keep the lights out forever, because the corals will die.

Even if dinos go completely away, I still might move stuff to a 20 for more space. The other night I put an overflow in one of them, but didn't drill the tank. The overflow is a from an old 29g, is a big corner 5 x 5 x tank height, so I can stick a pump in it and put my ATO in it (maintain water level from there). Maybe there is room to put macros in there if I can keep them from getting in the pump. I cut a corner out of it to put pipe from pump over top of it without it going higher than the top of the tank. Might drill it eventually.

Does anyone know if limpets eat dinos? I just Turned on the turned on the lights and discovered a massive population explosion of them. They tend to like shade, so maybe the lights being out encouraged them. and maybe they ate some of the dinos.

post-1671-0-28871800-1478838861_thumb.jpg

A little off topic, but.... If anyone knows what species those tiny white limits are, please tell me. I've had them for years, and in that time have never seen one bigger than about 1/4th inch. They are much hardier than any snails I've ever paid money for, can tolerate heat and low salinity mishaps. I have never seen them on corals, just rocks and glass.

Edited by treesprite

Wow, that's a lot of limpets.  I was under the impression that dinos make toxic subtances, so I'd be surprised if anything can make a meal of them if they're actually dinos.

There is a new product out called Vibrant. I am currently using it on one of my tanks. Suppose to kill all kinds of algae(green hair, bubble, bryopsis, cynical, turf algae...sure I am forgetting some), and currently being tested on dinos. People are actually seeing awesome results.

The bubble algae and green hair algae is dying after one treatment in my tank (1ml per 10 gallons once a week-twice a week for some algae). There have been very few negative reports from using it. Safe for all fish and corals (and macroalgae, coralline...)

May be worth a try.

I will have to try that stuff in the future. Where did you get it?

Dinos still gone. However, I switched to the 20 high today, and while doing so, scrubbed my rock with a toothbrush. Did not dip anything. Used a mix of water from other tanks and mostly new water. I will probably get diatoms for the next couple weeks... better that than dinos.

That 20 high looks huge. I guess that means I've gotten too used to using little tanks.

Purchased directly from company:

http://www.uwcmn.com/product-line

Bought it on a Friday and had it Monday morning :0)

There are three kinds: freshwater, saltwater (fish only tank) and Reef. Dosing 1 ml per 10 gallons, the 8 oz bottle would last forever lol

If you are ever in my area (Winchester, VA area) I would be happy to let you have some to get started.

There is an thread about it on R2R, the owner of the company will answer any questions.

Purchased directly from company:

http://www.uwcmn.com/product-line

Bought it on a Friday and had it Monday morning :0)

There are three kinds: freshwater, saltwater (fish only tank) and Reef. Dosing 1 ml per 10 gallons, the 8 oz bottle would last forever lol

If you are ever in my area (Winchester, VA area) I would be happy to let you have some to get started.

There is an thread about it on R2R, the owner of the company will answer any questions.

Thanks for the info :)

I believe they're a keyhole limpet species. Checked google and a couple species within this family (Genus Puncturella) will eat diatoms, dont know if that's what you have and even if not, there likely is a lot of unknown info about these.

At least the limpets let me know that the dinos were probably not the toxic type (past tense, because I can't imagine them coming back after scrubbing all the rock). They are not keyhole limpets, that I know for sure. I have had them for years with no problems caused by them; they stay really small; they do not have visible holes on one top.

I read an article about dinos that mentioned something that sometimes is confused as dinos, but it didn't give any other info except a Latin name I can't remember. Can anyone think of something that has snotty bubbly strings and is the light brown color of dinos?