Vanished Royal Gramma

Joshifer

I can't find it. I took all the rock out. It just vanished over night. It was acting funny last night after it got bristled. Now it's gone.

I have a lid but I looked on the carpet anyway. Hard to miss a bright purple fish. f3111f04306211d5a85c46abab93352e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited the title so nobody pointed you to Cleveland....

If the fish has passed, it could lead to a spike in nutrients in your tank if it's lost there. Fish can hide pretty well, though. Keep your eyes open. This one was acting strangely, though, so who knows? Do you have a cat?

Do you have a cat?

Or a dog... My tiny puppy had a nice baby trigger snack last week. 

Could it have gotten underneath the stand? Once they jump they can keep jumping til they're in an unlikely place. 

I have a big lab. And a small Pom Pom. And a bunny. I'm turning into dr Doolittle lol.

He was acting strange last night. Head diving into the sand over and over. Then when I got close to see he hid. But I can see into his rock with a flash light. He had bristle worm spikes in his face. Brown stingers. So anyway I got up this morning didn't see him. Fed a lot actually two kinds of food. Everyone else came out to eat he didn't.

Did my weekly water change. Took all the rock out raked the sand with a little plastic take. Nothing. I looked in the back chambers of The fusion. Even looked in the filter socks. Looked at all the pumps.

My only thought is he jumped and one of my animals ate it.

Maybe he's inside a rock I didn't see even tho I took them all out I don't know.

I'm thinking of dosing mela fix if he's still in there but injured. Api says its reef safe pretty much all it is is aloe and tea tree oil.

I don't know i been looking for hours. With my eyes. After the physical inspection. My only guess is he jumped. Fusions are notorious for their lid gaps. And one of the dogs ate it. Or it's under the stand. Or something out of water.

Edited by Joshifer

I've mysteriously lost jumpers.  Your tank is an All in one with visible filter area, right?  Two of mine were found in the sump.  One dried out on the floor behind the stand...

They can be pretty good at hiding, though.  Just yesterday I had a RG that was determined not to go in the net and get moved out of the tank.  He curled himself up on the sandbed behind an amazingly small piece of rubble and became almost invisible.  

now time to fill this tank up with 20 1 inch tangs. And carpet nems and LTA's and puffers.

I try to find humor in everything not to be sad. I really liked him. I actually hunted for one since a month.

Edited by Joshifer

I've mysteriously lost jumpers. Your tank is an All in one with visible filter area, right? Two of mine were found in the sump. One dried out on the floor behind the stand...

They can be pretty good at hiding, though. Just yesterday I had a RG that was determined not to go in the net and get moved out of the tank. He curled himself up on the sandbed behind an amazingly small piece of rubble and became almost invisible.

The vinyl is all gone on the back. I looked in the back like 10 times. Nothing. I took all the rock out even rubble. And raked the sand with a toy rake. He is gone. Either in a dogs tummy. Or under someone's shoe :( he was so pretty too I really liked him.

Maybe the CBS ate him. can a very large octospawn devour a weak fish? Octo looks very plump has like 7

Mouths. Plumping might be from the water change. I don't know

I've literally been sitting here searching. For any trace.

Edited by Joshifer

You're going to have to quit acting so rashly if you want to have any chance of having a reef. Once a fish goes in, it is pretty much a done deal (good or bad). Ripping things apart rarely leads to anything good unless it is something big that is going to take the whole system down with it. As others had mentioned, they like to hide and they will find small nooks in the rock you'd think impossible to fit in. My yellow assessor has been visible about three times and hasnt come into the open at all.

Edited by madweazl

Going forward you'll have all kinds of stuff dying in there or decaying in there.  Fish, worms, food, inverts, ...  It's all part of the food chain.  You just need enough nutrient export through things like skimming, GFO, macro algae, algae turf scrubber, water changes, etc to handle the constant death and pollution, heh.

If you find something dead, you can clearly remove it. If something large dies and you don't see it, depending upon it's size, it can lead to a nutrient spike, including ammonia, if the biological filter is not capable of expanding quickly enough to accomodate the additional nutrients. You can, if you like, add an ammonia badge somewhere inconspicuous on one of the glass panes. They last a year or so and will let you know when/if ammonia spikes. This is normally a greater concern in a QT or hospital tank situation where there is no, or an underdeveloped, filter. Seachem makes one called an Ammonia Alert. However, if you just Google "Ammonia badge" it'll turn up.

There are some fish that just go missing for a little bit. Think of it as them taking a little break and let them hide. They'll come back out if it's in their nature.

(edited)

I think he's dying. I don't know what to do.

I don't have a hospital tank. I can makeshift a 5 gallon bucket and an air stone. And some kinda tube or something to hide in.

I don't see any white spots.

834399b98f026cabe643fecea465c46a.jpg

a0cc6e6f1575ba206d960b5313187a01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Joshifer

Honestly it sucks but wait till morning if you stress about it you will go crazy. Keep him in its home and comfortable that's all you can do. Don't stress him out more.