Recall on Hanna Alk Reagent

dangros

Hey Everyone, 
Hanna is recalling many of the Reagents for the alkalinity tester.  I stumbled across this recall today and am so glad I did.  Hopefully this keeps others from incorrectly dosing their tanks!!!!!  
In order to see if your Hanna Alkalinity Reagent is useless, go to this site and put in the Lot # of your solution (written on the package and bottle)

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be darned if one of my extra bottles (purchased in late 2014) isn't part of the recall! Thanks again.

Both of my refills are bad and I suspect that the orignal that came w/the meter was bad too.  I have a feeling that this is a HUGE issue.  Mine were purchased several months ago and the meter a year ago! That's a huge range when you combine it w/the others.  Please spread the news.  

Both of my refills are bad and I suspect that the orignal that came w/the meter was bad too.  I have a feeling that this is a HUGE issue.  Mine were purchased several months ago and the meter a year ago! That's a huge range when you combine it w/the others.  Please spread the news.  

The wording on the recall is interesting. They talk of a "chemical compatibility" problem. It kind of makes me wonder if the reagents are expiring before their time. In another thread, I just mentioned that I had to toss out a bottle of reagent because it had recently expired and was giving me really high readings. I just chalked it up to being expired, but maybe it was a "chemical compatibility" problem? 

Geez, both of mine need to be replaced. One of them was what I have been relying on during an extended bout of some STN amid high alkalinity. Makes me think about just tossing the whole thing in the trash if both vials purchased 6 months apart have problems.

By the way, where did you see the recall info?  I'm hesitant to enter my info into a page that isn't hosted on their own website without seeing some kind of official word from the company.

My refill was brand new and giving high values as well.

Interesting. What was the expiration date on it?

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

By the way, where did you see the recall info? I'm hesitant to enter my info into a page that isn't hosted on their own website without seeing some kind of official word from the company.

I'm normally good about that but didn't pick that up. Off hand, it seems to be a very limited way of phishing. I just may call Hanna about it. I did notice that one of my lots came up as unaffected.

Maybe we should post our lot numbers and expiration dates here to see if there's a pattern that we can discern.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm usually pretty good about catching scams too.  I was pretty tried last night though and didnt think to verify!  I saw the thread on reefcentral. 

I emailed hanna support for more info.  I'll let you guys know if I find something - the site definitely looks fake though.

OK. I just hung up the phone with the people from Hanna. 

The recall is legitimate. 

The problem is actually an incompatibility between the reagent and the liner in the cap. If the reagent is stored upright and does not come into contact with the liner, it's good. If it's stored on it's side (such as in the kit), then it may react and give bad readings. They've fixed the sourcing problem.

I emailed them too.  Here is what I got.  My two lots are 5489 expiring 10/2016 and 5705 expiring 3/2017.  I'm glad you got more info from them on what the problem was.  I always store it upright.  It seems to always leak if I store it on the side no matter how tight I make the cap.

Alan,

Thanks for the email and inquiry.  Yes, the recall is legitimate and we are doing our best to get the new reagents out to our customers.  If you can follow the link and enter your information we will be able to get them out to you as soon as possible.

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Tim Larson

Yep, they confirmed with me as well. It's absolutely legit.  Very odd that they would use a different domain like that but I guess they didn't want to risk polluting their main consumer site with a quick modification.

In any case, mine was stored in the horizontally in the kit and hence is no good.  Think I'll get a red sea pro kit for the time being.  Need a refill on my calcium kit as well so good time to stock up on some stuff.

I also have a red sea pro I can test with that might be expired.  I'll post up here with the comparison.  I'm glad Tom got to the bottom of the whole horizontal thing.

I used both of my recalled bottles this morning....one gave me a reading of 125 and the other 133. I like to keep mine at about 135. I'm just gonna do multiple water changes this week until I get the new bottles just in case. I'm 95% SPS and I have automatic dosers

Wow I thought it was me had the same experience with Alk and Ca. Alk read very low and CA read flashing 600 . I am glad I double test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dido. I got so mad I was having fellow reefers over to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong

OK. I just hung up the phone with the people from Hanna. 

The recall is legitimate. 

The problem is actually an incompatibility between the reagent and the liner in the cap. If the reagent is stored upright and does not come into contact with the liner, it's good. If it's stored on it's side (such as in the kit), then it may react and give bad readings. They've fixed the sourcing problem.

Thanks so much for sharing this useful info.  I purchased 14 bottles of reagent from lot 5441 which is in the recall.  Fortunately the unused ones I have left are sealed, so I suppose I can just remove the cap liner and store upright. 

I typically store them upright anyway since they seem to leak if they are on their side, but I think I will definitely compare against my Lamotte kit today... I test my alk a lot anyway if that wasn't obvious already.

Thanks so much for sharing this useful info.  I purchased 14 bottles of reagent from lot 5441 which is in the recall.  Fortunately the unused ones I have left are sealed, so I suppose I can just remove the cap liner and store upright. 

I typically store them upright anyway since they seem to leak if they are on their side, but I think I will definitely compare against my Lamotte kit today... I test my alk a lot anyway if that wasn't obvious already.

If you still have the receipt from the purchase, Graham, why not scan it and submit it with a claim? While you've stored the boxes upright, you don't know how long or how they may have been stored before you received them.

I was getting ready to order some Hanna checkers, hopefully they and BRS have removed these lots from there shipping stock.