Aluminum screen and salt water,

mling

I am trying to find some way to prevent tiny clown fish babies from entering my main tank where mommy and daddy will have them for dinner.  There is a little 1 inch opening, in the hatchery where they are, where they can swim through.

I am thinking of using a small piece of aluminum screen for this purpose.

I am not sure if it is a good idea to mix an aluminum screen with salt water.  Comments appreciated?

What about some of the perforated plastic canvas from the arts n crafts places? The holes are pretty tiny, but I'm not sure how tiny your babies are. Amazon link

prob not really going to hurt anything much more than a good place for hair algae to grow.

I've seen rusty metal pieces, screens, bottles, cans, concrete blocks, rubber, and a few other things in peoples' saltwater tanks over the years without apparent harm to the inhabitants.

I asked about aluminum screen just because I had it sitting around. 

But you have all enlightened me to much better items to use, thanks !

Aluminum screen or just the frame is aluminum? I don't think the aluminum will hurt anything. I have been using it for years on the top of my tank with a screen to keep fish from jumping out. Gets wet and salt all the time doesn't seem to effect it at all.

It spare screen that I have left behind after fixing a window screen. 

Given what others have suggested, I won't take the chance; considering that I have expensive DaVinchi clowns in the tank.

I'll buy a brine shrimp fish net and use that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...