YHSublime Office Nano

Looks great man...love the sand.......making me want more zoas

Come on over to the LPS/Softie side, water's fine!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just fed, so everything is kind of closed up and shuffled about. All the zoanthids are growing like weeds. The duncan that started with 3 heads is up to 8 heads already. The nems are growing bigger, I did at a 5th one as it was super tiny.

That tally's 2 speckled "rainbow" anemones. 1 regular RBTA, 1 Bornemans anemone, and one non photosynthetic nem that M. Henley found on the beach that just happened to survive in here.

I still need to get about 4-5 more emerald crabs in there to take care of business.

What do you feed?

What do you feed?

Spectrum pellets and LRS. Only 2 clowns, so not a lot, probably more than I should.

Spectrum pellets and LRS. Only 2 clowns, so not a lot, probably more than I should.

Did it increase growth rate, how often do you feed?

Did it increase growth rate, how often do you feed?

I can't speak to growth rate in tandem with my feeding habits. If I feel like frozen, I'll thaw it out, and give all the nems a bite. The clowns also will deliver food to the nems, it's the first time I've witnessed this symbiotic relationship. It's often been the anemone offering the protection, without the food in return, and I believe the smaller scale contributes to this observation. I done feed weekends, as it's an office tank, so Monday's and Friday's I usually opt for frozen. The rest, Tuesday through Thursday, pellets. I feed once a day, sans Saturday/Sunday.

I can't speak to growth rate in tandem with my feeding habits. If I feel like frozen, I'll thaw it out, and give all the nems a bite. The clowns also will deliver food to the nems, it's the first time I've witnessed this symbiotic relationship. It's often been the anemone offering the protection, without the food in return, and I believe the smaller scale contributes to this observation. I done feed weekends, as it's an office tank, so Monday's and Friday's I usually opt for frozen. The rest, Tuesday through Thursday, pellets. I feed once a day, sans Saturday/Sunday.

I see... I never thought of feeding zoas. Im definitely going to try pellets 

I see... I never thought of feeding zoas. Im definitely going to try pellets

I feed the fish... Not the zoas directly. Sometimes the nems and acans, but it's rare.

Well. Bad news post. Came in to work Sunday after the storms, and found both my clowns dead.

The impeller on the motor for the Fluval HOB filter sometimes needs an extra spin to jump back into action, and the power head is set to turn off at night. My guess is the tank went about 10 hours (maybe 8) without being oxygenated. The power flickers we had were enough to put the filter out of commission.

All the coral seems fine, and the nems are all great, just feel lousy about not coming in sooner, as I knew we had flickers, just didn't think about the tank.

bummer. I guess its time to find a fix for the jump start.

Alternatively run the powerhead 24 hours a day. PO had it configured otherwise, I guess to help et sleep at night?

Alternatively run the powerhead 24 hours a day. PO had it configured otherwise, I guess to help et sleep at night?

I was thinking more so find another piece of hardware that doesnt need the jump start. Thats bizarre they recommend  for it to be off for a while if it doesnt want to start back up on its own.

Or put the HOB on an UPS. That'll get you past the flickers.

It is odd that it would need a kick start. Not reliable.

I don't know it is recommended. Similar to the old PSK 1000's, sounds like the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know it is recommended. Similar to the old PSK 1000's, sounds like the same issue.

Different issue. The problem with the PSK1000 was that it was not designed to be a skimmer pump and the mechanical clutch (which is the loose play in the impeller itself) did not function as designed when mesh-modded. If your pump was not starting and it's part of the original design, then it's a bad design or the pump needed some sort of service.

Different issue. The problem with the PSK1000 was that it was not designed to be a skimmer pump and the mechanical clutch (which is the loose play in the impeller itself) did not function as designed when mesh-modded. If your pump was not starting and it's part of the original design, then it's a bad design or the pump needed some sort of service.

Perhaps I could replace the pump? I don't actually know how old it is. The fluvals I thought had a pretty good rep with HOBs, and in the nano community as well.

Every pump needs maintenance from time to time. It could be as simple as calcium buildup that's slowing the startup and causing the clutch to be ineffective. Or, in some pumps that I've seen, the plastic in the impeller body (also called the impeller bore) can swell and cause friction that loads the impeller down during startup. I don't know if that's what's happening here. But if the pump requires a manual bump-start, then that's not normal behavior and should be addressed. I had a couple of PSK1000's on an old skimmer years ago and remember sometimes having to restart the pumps by poking a chopstick up into the volute. Not exactly a graceful start. But worse, as you found, it might mean that you weren't around to get things going again after a loss and restoration of power.

Nope, running fish less for now.

Sorry about the fish. Glad everything else is OK

Thanks, so am I. It could have been a very expensive crash, and it's only 6 gallons! Need to get my butt in gear and install some redundancies. The way the coraline is growing, I'm concerned I might have to start dosing for calcium and alk, that also means I'll have to start testing, so we will see if that happens. Then if that is the case, who's to say I wont end up with some SPS in there? It's a slippery slope, I'm hoping to avoid falling down it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot to share. Everything is still exploding. Sold some stuff to make room. Will probably continue to weed out some of the zoanthids I don't want to keep and focus on the favorites. Nems are getting big, bigger than anticipated, and sooner. Will have to see what happens. Bubble algae is still the bane of my existence. I've not made any moves to tackle it. I'll be doing a water change tomorrow, so I'll scrub the rocks as best I can, and manual removal. I've stopped feeding since the fish died. Once a week now just to keep everything up. My snails are exploding, corals don't seem to mind the 'cleaner' water. 

I got a small lens for my iphone, and I'm wondering if it makes much of a difference for photos. Working on getting those up now. 

936ca213ffd0e0e981efbcd18490d842.jpg

13c25f9b8a6fd7375016917ceb4b74fe.jpg

7f83141f4a2ffdf9e4087546f0d53e12.jpg

782e0de1c3bfc0a20ee2f4ca1030d194.jpg

8bdddd1816ddd8ec5203c0c63982d15e.jpg

b3d274b4cc2ff5db9e7f066f9ba7f8d6.jpg

89c9faf2823eaf4674337b267668a296.jpg

• 2 months later...

Everything is growing, still need to get the bubble algae under control.

146f847bedf8a6c391b819164c219aa8.jpg