Favorite way to keep water polished and crystal clear?

I'd like to hear what WAMAS members do to polish their water besides WCs.  i.e. carbon, ozone, etc..

I'm just curious. 

ozone works great.

Every ozone tank I have seen has been crystal clear, but I've read some conflicting reports online. Do you have ozone?

socks, chemi pure elite and some times prodibio or another biological "enhancer".

Do you use the Prodibio Bioptim or another Prodibio product? That seams to be the one that focuses on water quality and purifying.

Inverts live off of many of the particles in your water that polishing methods would remove.

That was my next line of thinking. All of my critters seem to be doing well. I'm not willing to sacrifice that. A clear view of starving animals is not much of a view.

Parameters are all good, but when I do a water change the "new" looks crystal clear and the old water has a yellow tint to it. Not a big deal. No algae blooms or anything. I just figured I would see if there was a way to clear it up. Biologically it is probably a good thing. Those floaters in the water are feeding my critters.

I've been using Chemipure elite and Purigen on my 8g. Cleanest looking tank I've ever had lol.

I bet carbon would do the trick for you.

I decided to get one of those BRS small carbon/GFO reactors.  Probably only use it every once in a while, but it will be nice to have the capability to use carbon or GFO if needed and not have a firedrill trying to find a reactor.  Every once in a while my water just looks a little cloudy. 

I've been using my home system as a holding facility for clownfish and the water had become quite yellow. After the clownfish left, I simply placed 6 cups of carbon in a mesh bag and threw it into the sump in a medium flow area. In 5 days, the water turned sparkling clear.

That was a really informative video about the different kinds of carbon.  I liked their demos with molasses and methylene blue.

That was a really informative video about the different kinds of carbon.  I liked their demos with molasses and methylene blue.

me too; they do great videos most the time and the demonstrations are always fun.

That was a really informative video about the different kinds of carbon. I liked their demos with molasses and methylene blue.

+1

• 1 month later...

Fellow members,

Be very careful when introducing carbon/gfo to your system. Please do extensive research on the affect it will have in your tank and the starting "dose" for your tank. In my case I stripped too many nutrients and caused a chain reaction ending with the loss of a few of my "holy grail" SPSs. This happened in three days time using the "recommended dose" on the BRS package.

I just wanted to explain so some unsuspecting member doesn't read the thread above and go down the same path as I did.

My water was very polished, but maybe it just looked so clean because of all the white corals

• 2 weeks later...

With my 105, I've noticed my water has been clearer than ever. I've always been a fan of the KISS method (or KIS if we are going to be PC.) I've always, like ridetheducatti said, used live rock, and additionally heavily skimmed. The only thing I am doing different this go around is running filter socks. The only reason I'm doing that, is because the spot is built into my sump. It really does make a difference, but it is certainly another chore to keep up on.