Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

As for the finish, she brought up a valid point (darn her!). We really dont have anywhere to sand it down to refinish since we're in an apartment and the weather sucks. Cant wait to buy a house!

darn wives and their sometimes rational thinking! That's a good point, I can't wait to be in a house, the condos and apartments are cramping my style. You've still nailed it with an under 100 gallon.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordered another 15lbs of rock to fill in the holes behind what was visible. Also picked up a refractometer and ordered 3/8" neoprene padding to place the tank and sump on. Once I get the snow out of the back of my truck I'll pick up the plywood and sealer/paint to finish up the inside of the stand and canopy.

Having a productive snow day. Ran up to Home Depot and grabbed some 3/4" birch plywood and some various other supplies necessary to get the stand ready. I was able to remove the lip on the trim with the Dremel (I'm sure the neighbors love me) and got the plywood top installed. Need to do some finish sanding on the trim to clean it up and prepped for the Redgard membrane. Not sure if I'll do the entire interior of the stand or just the lower 2-3" yet. 

Wow, dropped a level on the tank (empty) and it is 3/4" out of level in 16"! Gonna be fun working that out :lol:

Maybe I spoke too soon........ JK

I am sure you will be able to adjust it.

wow It looks like Japan has changed the way you think to the better, Our friend at the river spent her adult life at Okinawa in military, now she is head nurse and has blue crab and oyster license , she is active water women, you are not far from the water  

(edited)

Found a new tank today thanks to a heads up from another member. Wasn't exactly what I was after but couldn't beat the price with the Marineland tanks being on sale. Also ordered an overflow box via ebay that will allow me to run a beananimal overflow without chewing up much real estate in the tank (1.5" width on the inside). Hopefully the drilling process is drama free...

I'll try to wrangle up the motivation to lay down the first coat of Redgard this evening when I get home from work.

Edited by madweazl

Can you link me to the overflow box? I'm interested in doing this once I get my tank up and running.

I went with this one. It is being modified for 1" bulkheads between the two boxes and transparent black on the internal box (hopefully, havent heard back on this part yet) so it blends in with the window tint I'm planning to use on the back of the tank. 

This stuff is awesome! It has the consistency of pudding (exactly). Super easy to use, no mixing, easily cleaned up with water when wet, and if you get it on something it peels off really easy (kind of like peeling glue off your hand). Great for filling gaps too. I'm going to do the first inch of the inside bottom (applied with a roller) and then paint it a nice gloss white. It shows brush marks really bad because of it's consistency but the roller should help along with a nice heavy coat of paint. Completely water proof when dry. 

Currently has one coat and I'll be adding another. Smell is really mild and it dries quite fast. 

20150303_172315_zpsrnhkbaxi.jpg

I went with this one. It is being modified for 1" bulkheads between the two boxes and transparent black on the internal box (hopefully, havent heard back on this part yet) so it blends in with the window tint I'm planning to use on the back of the tank.

Thanks! I was looking into this one about 6 months ago. I hope it's good!

Started digging into some of the boxes and have been finding the QT equipment so I've started working on those. Water pressure here is terrible (35-40psi) and it's taking the RO/DI forever to produce water (have to invest in a boost pump I guess). 

20150305_160911_zpsipsptggg.jpg

I have never drilled a tank, but there are videos out there on how to do it. The things I would look for from a construction perspective would be:

-Tape both side where you are going to cut.

-Use some plumber's puddly to build a ring about 10" wide, or as large as possible to hold water as you drill.

-Add water to the circle as you drill for a lube.

-Keep the tank on it's side, it is suppose to be easier to work on.

- Use a wood block with a hole cut in the center as a template for the drill bit. Cut some grooves on the bottom side so water can get in.

-Probably the most important would be to let the drill do the work, don't press down too hard, take your time.

Good Luck!

-

I have never drilled a tank, but there are videos out there on how to do it. The things I would look for from a construction perspective would be:

-Tape both side where you are going to cut.

-Use some plumber's puddly to build a ring about 10" wide, or as large as possible to hold water as you drill.

-Add water to the circle as you drill for a lube.

-Keep the tank on it's side, it is suppose to be easier to work on.

- Use a wood block with a hole cut in the center as a template for the drill bit. Cut some grooves on the bottom side so water can get in.

-Probably the most important would be to let the drill do the work, don't press down too hard, take your time.

Good Luck!

-

All sound advice. Also, a towel or cardboard at the other end don't hurt, just in case it drops through onto the glass on the other side of the tank. Also, new bits make a heck of a difference.

If you're going with the above overflow, make sure you line up those holes exactly as the overflow holes. I would cut a template using a sheet of plywood and clamp the plywood template onto the tank as guided holes.

(edited)

Started digging into some of the boxes and have been finding the QT equipment so I've started working on those. Water pressure here is terrible (35-40psi) and it's taking the RO/DI forever to produce water (have to invest in a boost pump I guess). 

20150305_160911_zpsipsptggg.jpg

RTSUSC83 has a RO booster pump for sale ?

1/4"Aquatec Booster Pump asking $60 BTW I would put plywood under the top tank to spread the weight across the stand.

Edited by DCReefer1964

(edited)

Why the top tank and not the bottom? The stand is identical top and bottom. This has been my QT setup for about two years now.

Thanks for the tips regarding the drilling process. I've read and watched the same on a number of videos and like you guys have mentioned, the only thing that really concerns me is getting the overflow holes just right. I have two bits, each has to make two holes. I may practice on the old 75g tank I have to get a feel for it. 

Edited by madweazl

Why the top tank and not the bottom? The stand is identical top and bottom. This has been my QT setup for about two years now.

Thanks for the tips regarding the drilling process. I've read and watched the same on a number of videos and like you guys have mentioned, the only thing that really concerns me is getting the overflow holes just right. I have two bits, each has to make two holes. I may practice on the old 75g tank I have to get a feel for it.

Practice on a 10 gallon. If you can drill the thin glass without cracking it, your 50 gallons plus glass will be a breeze.

Slow going but I made a little progress on the stand. The Redgard was completely dry on the inside of the stand so I started laying down white paint. Needs at least one more coat but it's going to look pretty clean down there I think. I was going to paint it black but I thought the white would compliment the standard PVC fittings. I should be able to go with colored pipe (I'm thinking purple) and use standard white fittings without them look out of place.

20150306_140552_zpszwm2kuob.jpg

Looking sweet. If your sump area is going to be detailed as the inside of the stand. I would use smoke acrylic with magnets for the doors.