my first upgrade!!

edress714

So going from a stupid narrow 55 gallon to a 75 gallon. I'm going to need much more sand. My question is what is the best way to transfer everything? I was thinking this.

Water into buckets With rocks and corals and fish

sand first into tank

Then water rocks and fish

never done this before so all the help is appreciated

And if anyone has some sand they can give me that would be a plus :)

How old is the 55? If you reuse the sand, i would put it into 5g buckets and rinse it thoroughly until the water runs clear, either with a hose or in the shower. Then put it into the 75g, effectively like new sand. Otherwise moving old sand without rinsing it can release toxins into the new tank.

I wouldn't use the sand there are to many things that would do more harm than good. You might think it saves a few dollars but it could end up costing you more in the long run. That is my opinion and not a expert

Yes it would start a new cycle but if you take a couple cups of old sand and rinse it and add to new sand with it let it cycle put your rock in and keep checking water to see when to add live stock might take less time as if all new sand

When we converted our 125 to the 220 we took half the water,rock,new sand did not bring any of the old sand and let it cycle and kept testing to see when we should add things and slowly added things to the new tank and kept testing hope this helps don't Rush because it could be worse effects

Edited by Cheshireboxers

Rinse some old mix with new add rock cycle and test I added a edit on my last post

Remember half old water and half new and check salinity

Edited by Cheshireboxers

All good advises ^^

I personally have upgraded a few tanks and reuse old sand without issues. I usually, clean it well with old tank water using a large fish net to removed most of detritus in it. This way I don't have cycle the tank again. Just my personal experience.

Edited by flooddc

What part of the tank is all the bacteria in? Is it just the rocks and filter and water or is some in the sand also?

This is good education guys. Appreciate it

Wouldn't new sand start a new cycle?

The live rock should be enough to handle the tank until the sand becomes seeded. Unless you have a crowded tank and over feed you will be fine. I would save the money and just keep the existing sand and add some new as needed. Since the existing tank is so young you shouldn't have dirty sand.

What part of the tank is all the bacteria in? Is it just the rocks and filter and water or is some in the sand also?

This is good education guys. Appreciate it

The bacteria is on all surfaces and inside of some things depending on the type it is. Some bacteria likes to be on surfaces where it is higher in O2 while others like to be deep in rocks or deep under the sand where O2 exchange is limited.

Add water to the new tank, move rock to the new tank, gravel vac the sand with the water that remains in the old tank. Move sand to new tank. There are tons of beneficial things living in the sand beds, such a shame to rinse and kill it. Never place your rocks on top of sand, always lay the rock down first directly on the glass/acrylic. That way, things that start digging in the sand dont cause shifts in the rock work.

rocks go in first, sand fills in around them. it's just a simple transfer and nothing at all to worry baout unless you start dropping things on the floor...

I put eggcrate down under my rocks then covered it with sand, looking back that was a waste of time and money, but I thought I was being really clever at the time. I was worried about a rock falling and cracking the bottom of my tank.

Thank you for the responses. Planning on moving tomorrow. Will move rocks that don't have corals. Then add sand. Then take half of the water out. Then add new water. test water then add the fish and leftover rocks

think of this process as a big water change but you're not dumping the water down the drain......

you don't test water in the middle of a water change do you?

Edited by zygote2k

All good advises ^^

I personally have upgraded a few tanks and reuse old sand without issues. I usually, clean it well with old tank water using a large fish net to removed most of detritus in it. This way I don't have cycle the tank again. Just my personal experience.

I have definitely done this as well, having moved my tank 3 different time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

think of this process as a big water change but you're not dumping the water down the drain......

you don't test water in the middle of a water change do you?

+1

Reuse the sand, it is just fine.  

One thing I will add is that even this seemingly simple transfer will take you longer then you expect, so allow add a few extra hours on to whatever estimate you have now :) 

Thanks for the post and all the advice was thinking about doing this to my trigger tank. At least only have 2 fish in that tank to move now.