Buying a BIG tank...

dmatt56

I'm possibly interested in buying a new fish tank - larger than 180.  I like the 6 foot length. Here's what I'm finding so far..... 

Glass cages makes a 240 wide - 72x30x25 tall

Deep sea aquatics makes a 225 72x27x27 

Marineland makes a 300 72x36x27 tall

What other options are out there?  Who's the recommended vendor for BIG aquariums?

I know we have a couple local manufacturers as well.

How long does it take to get a tank delivered?  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Matt

My wife says go deeper and less height unlessl you are tall and have long arms as aquascaping is very difficult even on a ladder especially trying to get your corals attached on rocks

I agree with Cheshireboxers.  

First, try to keep your tank rim at least a couple inches below your armpit or you will be forever taking off your shirt and letting the fish sample your deodorant every time you do something to the tank.

Second, measure the length from the tip of your fingers to said armpit and make sure you can reach every corner of the tank.  

Personally I think a longer tank is better than a deeper one unless you have special needs.  

Hope that helps.

I agree with Cheshireboxers.  

First, try to keep your tank rim at least a couple inches below your armpit or you will be forever taking off your shirt and letting the fish sample your deodorant every time you do something to the tank.

Second, measure the length from the tip of your fingers to said armpit and make sure you can reach every corner of the tank.  

Personally I think a longer tank is better than a deeper one unless you have special needs.  

Hope that helps.

+1 take some body dimensions to know that you can reach all the corners. Mine is 96 x 30 x 24, the only change I would make would be wider to 36, but it would not have fit down my stairs.

I love the shallow tanks that are long. Manageable water changes because they are only 100 or so gallons but long enough to get almost any fish in there.

Edited by miggs76

• 2 months later...

Still deciding between the 300DD and DSA 225.  

Has anyone purchased one of the CustomAquariums.com tanks?  The H2Overflow concept is neat - does it work?  How reliable are the aquariums?

Thanks

Matt

If you go with a DSA, keep in mind you will be waiting for them to build it, give yourself 1.5-2 months leeway. If it's in wall, 300dd, outside, DSA.

I'd go out of my way to recommend against GlassCages, though my experience with them is rather old at this point.  I've bought two aquariums so far from Miracles in Canada now over the last dozen years or so and have been delighted with the results each time.  First time around was a 6'x2'x2' 180G.  This time is a 60"x36"x34" roughly 300G.  I rather like the look of the taller tanks, but yes it's challenging.

For a 6' tank the 300DD is tough to beat.  Good build quality and the tank along can be purchased for ~$1600.  Don't go with less depth front to back if you can get more for the same price.

I see you mentioned about Glasscages...let me know if you find out anything...good or bad. I am not looking for a big tank like you...but rimless with 48x20x20 or 48x18x20 dimensions. 

miracles in glass out of canada.  can make any size you want.  give or take about $2700 delivered to your house for a tank that size.

then there is coast to coast aquariums out of NJ.  Slightly more expensive, but i just got a tank from them for a client and the quality is very very nice.

As far as I could tell when I was looking at the 300 gallon tanks from custom aquariums they don't over the standard overflows/bottom drilling like the 300DD from Marineland.  Just something to keep in mind.

I had a good experience with Glass Cages, although they shipped me glass panels, not a prebuilt aquarium.  I understand they had a fire last year and don't know how that affected their business. 

We went with the Marine Land 250 DD I don't think you would be disappointed.  Talk to ERC as they were amazing getting my tank!