Aggressive ReefKeeping =White X-Mas

DCReefer1964

Well to make a long story short my OCD approach to Reef Keeping has led to a white X-mas (90% of my SPS has totally STN'd . In preparation of my departure for Thanksgiving I decided to tweak my maintenance schedule on my 150DD Reef in the garage.  A little background on what led me to do this. My Vertex Alfa 200 had overflowed (Skim locker had been removed) due to me shutting down the return pump to do a water change. A few days later I notice negative effects on my SPS colonies! I performed a 35 gallon water change in addition to changing carbon, and RowaPhos. Note to self when changing carbon from one brand to another i.e. ESV to ZEO take it slow. You ask did I test my water first. Yes the results were as follows.

Prior to departure.

RODI: 00ppm

Temp: 76.5

PH: 8.5

Alkalinity: 10

Calcium: 425

Nitrites: .0

Nitrates: <.02

Ammonia: 0

Phosphates: .0

Salinity: 1.025

Test results upon my return

RODI: 00ppm

Temp: 76.5

PH: 8.5

Alkalinity: 13.5 :ohmy: 

Calcium: 425

Nitrites: .0

Nitrates: 20 ppm ! :ohmy: 

Ammonia: 0

Phosphates: .0

Salinity: 1.025

My concern is what led to the swing in Nitrates so rapidly ? Could it have been the coral die off ? in addition to the rapid Alk swing which I would contribute to the lack of demand due to the decrease in healthy coral demand ? Well after all this I am considering on cutting back on the amount of tanks I am currently running and just concentrate on running the main display until we move back into our home. So  look forward to a 150DD X-mas sell ?

Edited by DCReefer1964

(edited)

Did the coral die off before you changed the maintenance regimen? 

Is it possible that the alk swing killed your SPS which caused the Nitrate spike? 

I had lost a colony of Milli prior.

I think the Alk swing was caused by the lack of demand .

Edited by DCReefer1964

Seems crazy that a skimmer overflow can set in motion a chain reaction like that. 

Skimmate kills corals which results in less alk usage which results in huge spike in alk which results in more coral death and nitrate spikes. 

I mean that skimmate came out of the water anyway.  I never thought it was that big of a deal if some overflowed in.

Seems crazy that a skimmer overflow can set in motion a chain reaction like that. 

Skimmate kills corals which results in less alk usage which results in huge spike in alk which results in more coral death and nitrate spikes. 

I mean that skimmate came out of the water anyway.  I never thought it was that big of a deal if some overflowed in.

Correct Alan. Imagine a high concentration of waste being dumped in you reef with the skimmer off thus overflowing skimmate nasty and thick being reintroduced back into the water table until discovered. That said instead of me doing water changes to overcome this accident I went crazy. Water change carbon RowaPhos etc. Honestly I feel that I may have stripped a nutrient rich environment. What do you think?

I just don't know.  I feel like I change stuff on mine all the time.  I sometimes do more water change, sometimes less, sometimes run carbon when it looks like the water is getting a little yellow.  I run some GFO if I get what I think is excessive algae. 

I imagine your nitrate peak could have come simply from the skimmate being a huge source of organics and decaying.  Like a week or more worth of food and fish poop being dropped in all at once.  Seems more likely to have come from that than from the coral tissue dying.  Also, I don't know if I buy that stripping the nutrient rich environment would kill the corals that quickly.  Seems like they'd just start to fade away, not lose tissue, if the water got too clean.

Ahhhhhhh....those pics are worse than that giant worm

Sorry to hear man..

I've had much skimmer dump back inthe tank and never had issues...but also didn't do alothat of changes at once....I'll bet the rowaphow carbon helped...but I'd also look for something metal in the tank. ..battery etc

Ahhhhhhh....those pics are worse than that giant worm

Sorry to hear man..

I've had much skimmer dump back inthe tank and never had issues...but also didn't do alothat of changes at once....I'll bet the rowaphow carbon helped...but I'd also look for something metal in the tank. ..battery etc

Already inspected for as we say in the military FOD none found my potassium dropped from 420-360 ppm. All I have to say is 150DD for sale. :(

Just a theory. I skim super dry. If I ever had a cup empty back into my tank, it would be like 2 weeks worth of **** dumped back into the tank at one time. 

We build up the bio loads in our tanks in order to handle a certain amount of waste. I know my tank is probably not equipped to handle that all at once. Similar to adding 20 fish all at the same time and then expecting everything to be OK. 

Again, just a theory. Don't get out man, just grow zoas. I think 2015, zoas are the new SPS. 

Not getting out just reducing my bioload.  :laugh:  :laugh:

lmk man, you know I'm trying to fill a 180 this way. 

I also feel your pain.....and mine :(

Watch out, Ken, might be a ruse!

Sorry to see this happen!  It's better to have grown SPS and lost them, then to never have grown them at all!!!

+1 Here, Here!

But it is even better to have grown them, fragged them, and distributed them to friends so they can come back in the future if this ever does happen to you.

Or even better so less coral is taken off the reefs in the first place.

Sorry for the losses, Haywood. I've been there but under different circumstances (aggressive changes after moving a tank leading to a 90% loss of coral). It sucks coming home to "that" ocean smell and seeing all that white through the glass. Needless to say, your water quality shifted drastically and may have caused the outcome. You'll never know for sure, but it's as good an explanation as any. 

Haywood, I'm feeling your pain my friend. I lost those new colonies I just got from Haden last week.

This is why I love the hobby. Joys and Pains, Life is not worth living if there are no challenges to over come day to day. That said being part of WAMAS give you hope and support :laugh: Frag away LOL

This is why I love the hobby. Joys and Pains, Life is not worth living if there are no challenges to over come day to day. That said being part of WAMAS give you hope and support :laugh: Frag away LOL

Amen!