Flex PVC v Hard PVC for plumbing

TrueTricia

As I prepare to move the tank to a new apartment (hopefully on the same floor of my building), I'm thinking ahead about changes.  I've noticed that I definitely hear the water trickling down my hard PVC pipes.  I'm thinking of switching to flex pvc, even if maybe just at that elbow turn. 

Has anyone switched and noticed a difference in the noise level? 

As I prepare to move the tank to a new apartment (hopefully on the same floor of my building), I'm thinking ahead about changes.  I've noticed that I definitely hear the water trickling down my hard PVC pipes.  I'm thinking of switching to flex pvc, even if maybe just at that elbow turn. 

Has anyone switched and noticed a difference in the noise level? 

If plumbed correctly, should be silent. I prefer PVC, don't have to worry about clamps or hoses coming loose.

If plumbed correctly, should be silent. I prefer PVC, don't have to worry about clamps or hoses coming loose.

Rob plumbed mine, so I assume it's plumbed correctly.  So if we assume that when plumbed correctly, the hard pvc can run silent, and mine is plumbed correctly, then what it probably means is that my flow rates aren't matching?  Is that right?

The white spa flex PVC can be weak at the joints where it is glued into a hard PVC connector or adapter. It isn't a big issue for drains but I would use caustion on pressure lines like returns. Make sure it is cleaned well, glued in good, and supported properly.

You can also try foam insulation to wrap the pipe to try to reduce the noise.

I have seen a lot of people complaining of pressured flex house coming loose from the glue point and destroying a lot of equipment, fire, water damage etc... Hard plumbing seems safer with it comes to a return.. Would really worry about the drain too much.

I hard a return flex pipe on my old 57, came home to water rocking out the side of my sump, and my DJ strip fried and smoking. I keep my electric things far from my sump now, and only hard plumbing for this guy.

Just my experience.

I use a small amount of flex at the in and out of the pump to prevent vibration from travelling and use hard for everything else. My tank with 1500gph of flow between the basement and the upstairs is dead silent. No trickle, no bubbles, even the fans are inaudible.

I'm a flex guy. Installs soo much easier. Take it off easily. Install it properly and you won't have any problems. I think I will replace it every few years just to be safe.

I have flex pvc joints that are 15+ years old.

I have always used Rain R Shine by Oatey and do not use primer because it's already part of the "blue"cement.

Flex pvc will become less flexible over the years but that's fine because it's already in place. I like it because it's easy to route and it also dampens all the vibration caused by larger external pumps. Even a 6" piece of flex placed inline at the in and out of the pump will do the trick of dampening vibration noise.

I believe most folks experience failure for two main reasons, use of secondary primer and not holding the joint together for a few moments when gluing. It is important to make sure you apply cement to both parts of each joint, push together completely and then hold it for a moment or two before moving on.

The more joints, or sharp bend joints that you have in hard plumbing, the louder your plumbing for a drain may sound. 

I have flex pvc joints that are 15+ years old.

I have always used Rain R Shine by Oatey and do not use primer because it's already part of the "blue"cement.

Flex pvc will become less flexible over the years but that's fine because it's already in place. I like it because it's easy to route and it also dampens all the vibration caused by larger external pumps. Even a 6" piece of flex placed inline at the in and out of the pump will do the trick of dampening vibration noise.

I believe most folks experience failure for two main reasons, use of secondary primer and not holding the joint together for a few moments when gluing. It is important to make sure you apply cement to both parts of each joint, push together completely and then hold it for a moment or two before moving on.

The more joints, or sharp bend joints that you have in hard plumbing, the louder your plumbing for a drain may sound. 

I like the idea of flex pvc right at the return pump.  I'm going to have to look into that.  I could also see it being good at the very end of my gravity drain into the sump.  This would allow flexible placement.  And I'll definitely keep these tips for connecting in mind Chip!

The white spa flex PVC can be weak at the joints where it is glued into a hard PVC connector or adapter. It isn't a big issue for drains but I would use caustion on pressure lines like returns. Make sure it is cleaned well, glued in good, and supported properly.

You can also try foam insulation to wrap the pipe to try to reduce the noise.

The foam will definitely be added!

I'm only talking about the "tiger flex" or "spa" hose.

Not this fiber enforced stuff I have pictured below.

I do not use it at all because it is often way to firm and usually requires a clamp, at least for pressure apps.

If spa flex, white flexible PVC hose, is done correctly, you will not have a problem. That's probably why it's used on spas which are often under as much or more head pressure, read back pressure, than most aquarium return lines.

My whole system is plumbed using 1 1/2 flex all backed up to a 3/8 hole for my DD skimmer. While there are several gated 1" branches off of it, all water is trying to go through a 3/8" hole as it's main objective.

post-146-0-47435600-1411054367_thumb.jpg

Right.  I thought she was asking about flexible schedule 40 PVC, not the braided vinyl stuff, which I don't use either.  I use spaflex to isolate pumps and such.  Also to give me some wiggle when glueing the pipes together because I find it hard to line everything up to get it all exactly parallel.  It's a skill I don't have.

Right.  I thought she was asking about flexible schedule 40 PVC, not the braided vinyl stuff, which I don't use either.  I use spaflex to isolate pumps and such.  Also to give me some wiggle when glueing the pipes together because I find it hard to line everything up to get it all exactly parallel.  It's a skill I don't have.

Yep.  I'm asking about the Schedule 40 flex PVC, not the braided stuff pictured above.  I saw Eric (epleeds) tank last night and he used some as well.

I use fernco fittings to isolate pumps.  Those are the rubber couplings with twin band clamps available at hardware stores.  Typically used for DWV (drain, waste, vent) applications.  They can also be used on the pressure side of pumps IME.  They are soft rubber, easy and very fast to install, never leak, and never crack or harden.  Truly an aquarium plumber's best friend.  They only come in 1.25"+ sizes though, so will not be applicable for small submersible pumps.

Also try not to use any 90deg bends in your drain piping.  45's or less will allow the water to fall with less obstacles, leading to less noise.  I prefer one drain pipe that is sized so that it is a continuous siphon carrying 90%+ of the water, and another much larger one that carries the remaining 5-10% but is wide enough to carry 100%.  Both will be silent in typical run configuration.

Tricia- what issue exactly are you having with your plumbing?

Not really an issue per se.  I'm going to be switching apartments in November, so just planning and thinking ahead.  The gravity fed drain from the tank to the sump can be a little loud.  Literally the pipe and not the end in the sump.  I installed a durso drain, but I can hear the trickling of the water falling down the line.  Foam insulation may be the answer there. 

But if I'm moving anways, I'm just thinking of any ways to improve what you did (and you did a great job!  no leaks!)