What corals are children's favorites?

Ryan S

My dream tank would be full of hard, non-moving, albeit colorful, SPS pieces.  But I doubt children think SPS are very fun and exciting. So the question is, what corals are the favorites for children?  I ask this especially to those of you with kids that love certain corals.  I'd like to stuff my new 29g biocube with corals from this list for my son to enjoy / be mesmerized by. Thanks!

Nems, (not corals), purple and green frogspawn, Duncan's, bright colors and movement. They actually like the fish more then the corals. Any fish that is in Nemo. A clown in frogspawn or a nem and you are golden.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Pulsing Xenia. Hands down. My 5 year old has "her own tank" in my home office and I have let the xenia take over quite a bit and she loves it. She also like clove polyps because they look like palm trees. Colorful mushrooms might be nice.

Other kid friendly things? In my other tank she enjoys watching the maxi mini eat. Loves the pom pom crab. Skunk cleaners were a hit. Watching the sea eggs (urchins) carry snails and crabs around. Hermit crabs of course. And nassarius snails all pop out of the substrate at feeding time.

My kids like my gorgs...and the duncans...things that move...they would probably love it if I had an LPS tank....hmmm...maybe that's what the tank upstairs should be turned into at some point

They loved the starfish...but good luck keeping one alive in a small tank. They also loved the cleaner shrimp...little bugger came out at every feeding and ALL kids wanted to see him...called him a crab, but they were all smiles when doing so

My little ones love starfish they can hold and euyphillia

Mine like the pistol shrimp.  We see it only once every two months, but it's exciting when it puts in an appearance.  My oldest is almost the only one that spots it.  He stands shrimp watch frequently. 

We hear it every day and sometimes it sets the kids to laughing because he'll snap 3-4 times in a row and we start trying to guess what he's mad about.

Barnacle blennies would be a good possibility for fish. They are funny to watch and when my girld were older babies they would have loved any fish that "plays peekaboo". A jawfish pair. Or I like the goby/pistol shrimp idea. Anything that defends or builds a burrow. Clownfish are colorful and pretty active so that is kind of a given.

When I was a kid, I bought those rocks that grow under water from the back of a comic book and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I'd say to stick with SPS and get your kids involved.

My two like anemones and birdsnest. They also love our cleaner shrimp and gobys. Corals with bright colors and ones that move in the current are the ones they want to pick out when we are in a fish store.

All the kids that ever come over to my place are infatuated with my neon green GSP.

Party favorites are the clownfish and nem, my two skunk cleaner shrimps, and my clam bed. I would go with some gorgs as well, I think those catch a lot of attention, the poor mans corals! If I was in your boat (and this is selfish, because it's what I want to do) I would do acans on the floor, and zoa dominated. I think your kid will probably be more involved with anything that moves and is colorful. Didn't Travis have a tank that was just filled with euphyllia? Easy to take care of, and looks great, lots of motion. 

All the kids that ever come over to my place are infatuated with my neon green GSP.

Party favorites are the clownfish and nem, my two skunk cleaner shrimps, and my clam bed. I would go with some gorgs as well, I think those catch a lot of attention, the poor mans corals! If I was in your boat (and this is selfish, because it's what I want to do) I would do acans on the floor, and zoa dominated. I think your kid will probably be more involved with anything that moves and is colorful. Didn't Travis have a tank that was just filled with euphyllia? Easy to take care of, and looks great, lots of motion.

Yea Isaac, my son was mesmerized with your GSP...your's was like 5" tall!

They like it all... But, kids seem to like animals that eat other animals the most. Feeding time at school for the eels, triggers, and puffers was always the most popular time of day. Oh, and the mantis shrimp was a huge hit... Pun absolutely intended.

What makes me laugh is the age of the child we are all trying to virtually entertain. He won't care for a little while. A couple of swimming colors would suffice (thouh I stand by my xenia). Or are we trying to entertain dad? :)

Fish and colorful inverts like shrimp are always the biggest hit.

Corals that move a lot and are super colorful are ok.

Older kids are intrigued by more subtle things, like crabs living in corals, a shrimp/goby pair, or an egg-laying clownfish pair.

I don't think that it would be the best idea to build out the tank to please somebody else because ultimately, you are going to be the one investing the time and money into building and maintaining it. I can tell you that our son is absolutely captivated by our SPS tank. The colors really draw him in. Even though the tank is all SPS, it is not motionless by any means. We have awesome polyp extension and a ton of flow. The fish also definitely add to the mix. He may only be eight months old, but he already has a favorite fish, our  powder blue tang. His eyes follow the tang around the tank.

Whatever you build, your kid is going to love it.