LED Lighting

edress714

55 gallon tank getting set up. Want to get a nice LED. Got my eye on a Fluval marine 48". also looking at the snakeeyes, Current Orbit Marine LED, something in the upper 100 range, no more than 200. looking to grow some corals and what not. what do you guys recommend? thanks

Check out the evergrow d120 / d2040. A lot more light then those fixtures you mentioned. Those are geared toward fish only or soft corals only. The evergrow's could be gotten for less than 100 each now on ebay.

Edited by lnevo

Decide what you what in your tank before you decide on lighting.  Do you have certain corals you want to grow? LPS, SPS? What are your tank dimensions?

Check out the evergrow d120 / d2040. A lot more light then those fixtures you mentioned. Those are geared toward fish only or soft corals only. The evergrow's could be gotten for less than 100 each now on ebay.

+1

Evergrows are best bang for the buck, IMO

yea two of the evergrows look appealing right now. one on each side of the middle brace. total would be right under 180

yea two of the evergrows look appealing right now. one on each side of the middle brace. total would be right under 180

The only thing with the Evergrows is you would have to build a canopy to hang them in since you don't want to hang from the ceiling or the wall. But good lights for the $ from what I have heard. You could also look for a good used 48" T5 fixture that might have mounting brackets to attach to the sides of the tank.

The only thing with the Evergrows is you would have to build a canopy to hang them in since you don't want to hang from the ceiling or the wall. But good lights for the $ from what I have heard. You could also look for a good used 48" T5 fixture that might have mounting brackets to attach to the sides of the tank.

yea i saw a few images on google that had the top altered so that the lights can lay on the top. looked nice

You can build a frame, with conduit for example, to hang them. That's what I did. Placing your lights on legs attached to your tanks edge is not the most ideal. You'll find out with your very first maintenance routine.

ATI sunpower or powermodule.

I went to the LED route twice and growth is slow. People are going back to MH or T5 ...

ATI sunpower or powermodule.

I went to the LED route twice and growth is slow. People are going back to MH or T.

I see growth with my led system. 32... 3 watt full spectrum led. I keep them on sunrise to sunset with a max of 40 percent. What lights did you not have luck with. I have also heard good things about par32.

I see growth with my led system. 32... 3 watt full spectrum led. I keep them on sunrise to sunset with a max of 40 percent. What lights did you not have luck with. I have also heard good things about par32.

I see growth on most of my corals such as zoanthids, LPS, etc but when it comes to SPS, I can only get birdsnests to thrieve. Some sps like staghorns, milleporas, turaki's dont grow well on LEDS. I have had frags that stay 1" for over 2 years with good color but no growth. I have tried two DIY fixtures and several optics with no luck. My current fixture consists of:

- 4 OCW leds (cyan, green & red) = 12 leds

- 16 hyper violets

- 8 neutral whites

- 16 royal blues

All these are high quality leds and being driven by good drivers (LDD) at 1A and are over a 24"x24"x9" tank.. Leds are good in terms that you dont change bulbs, no heat transfer and offer great colors but if you really want to go on the big leagues and get high end sps frags (you eventually will do) then you should supplement with T5's and or MH. In the near term, I am planning on supplementing my tank with 4 T5's.

I see growth on most of my corals such as zoanthids, LPS, etc but when it comes to SPS, I can only get birdsnests to thrieve. Some sps like staghorns, milleporas, turaki's dont grow well on LEDS. I have had frags that stay 1" for over 2 years with good color but no growth. I have tried two DIY fixtures and several optics with no luck. My current fixture consists of:

- 16 hyper violets

- 8 neutral whites

- 16 royal blues

All these are high quality leds and being driven by good drivers (LDD) at 1A and are over a 24"x24"x9" tank.. Leds are good in terms that you dont change bulbs, no heat transfer and offer great colors but if you really want to go on the big leagues and get high end sps frags (you eventually will do) then you should supplement with T5's and or MH. In the near term, I am planning on supplementing my tank with 4 T5's.

I have seen a few MH/LED configurations.  I wonder if thats why. 

I have seen a few MH/LED configurations. I wonder if thats why.

Yeah, or t5/ led combo like the ATI powr module... Another issue with leds is the shadowing effects.

Yeah, or t5/ led combo like the ATI powr module... Another issue with leds is the shadowing effects.

I dont understand what the shadowing effect is.  I watched a video but didnt see what they were talking about.  My lights shimmer the same way a MH does.  I like that.  I have yet to find anything my lights wont grow but if I do the forum will know about it. ;)

I dont understand what the shadowing effect is.  I watched a video but didnt see what they were talking about.  My lights shimmer the same way a MH does.  I like that.  I have yet to find anything my lights wont grow but if I do the forum will know about it. ;)

The way I see it is that when you look at a coral from the top that has been under leds, it looks very nice and colorful but when you look at it on the front, it looks brown or not with the same color. Corals in the wild get their light source at different angles due to sunrise / sunset.

Ahem. Back on topic gents! Led's will save you tons of money and the D120's are a great bang for your buck. MH and T5's IMHO are a better total lighting, but replacing bulbs yearly or more adds up fast. So lots of good options.

I have evergrows on my tank 2 fixtures for a a 4' tank is plenty, ERC has a group buy every couple of months, you may also get lucky and someone may be selling some, I have 1 extra I could part with, but you would need 2 for that size tank.

I dont have anything to compare my D2040's to but I can confirm that both SPS and LPS do well in my aquarium, with pretty good growth rates on SPS, and my lights aren't even turned up over 50%.

I use 1 for a 40b with 90 degree optics.  Works well and i love the sunrise to sunset feature.  Max goes to 40%

Edited by Keraxis

- 16 hyper violets

- 8 neutral whites

- 16 royal blues

I agree with this. My birdsnest LPS and zoas grow very excellent. My higher end SPS has been very slow. I have been in hoby for one year. Asked a member on LEDs that has been very successful with LEDs for a long time with SPS. He stated that the higher end SPS has a much longer acclimation time (up to a year or more) but when it takes off watch out.

The fluval marine 48 inch wouldnt be enough in the 55 right? I found a beast deal on a used one. But leaning toward two evergrows. Tough decision

There are used lights for sale on the forum right now for decent prices.  Check the member sale section and save yourself some money and help a fellow member out.