Terrible news

davelin315

By the way, I am going to be visiting on Saturday. When I went a few weeks ago, the parking was HORRIBLE, it took forever and I ended up at parking lot D, which is at the bottom of the park. I just reserved a parking space at the top of the zoo with this- https://www.parkingpanda.com/national-zoo-parking?ref=fonz#location=38.929620%2C%20-77.055126&start=06/21/2014&monthly=false&daily=true and it is only 8 more dollars than what the normal parking amount is, so I think it is well worth it. I don't know how many spaces are available, but I would grab one quickly.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually feeling angry. My kids and me had so much fun there. They seriously paid more attention to that exhibit than any of the others and they weren't even in to my big tank when I had it at home.

Tom is right. Once this goes away. Then it's all out of sight out if mind.

#worstnewsever

Just got my Fonz email informing members about this, about an hour ago. Total surprise. I just broke this news to my 15 year old who was looking forward to being a summer intern there when she turns 16.  She had been counting the days since Tammy gave her a behind the scenes tour, when she was 5.

Here's the press release -> http://nationalzoo.si.edu/publications/pressmaterials/pressreleases/press-release.cfm?id=2649

This part bugs me   " ....... The annual operating cost for the Invertebrate Exhibit is $1 million. The exhibit currently needs an estimated $5 million in upgrades to equipment, life-support systems, building infrastructure and exhibit interpretation.... "

We are closing the only invert exhibit in the National's Capital because of 1 million ?  Fairfax county school's annual budget is 2.6 Billion !

A few years ago, the Farm exhibit was slated for closure before State Farm came to the rescue at the last minute. So... anyone got a million or 5 to spare ?  Other wise I guess most of the live stock will probably end up in Baltimore's National Aquarium.

No kidding, I see local counties put sooooo much money in these schools for nothing, and they can't figure out a little cash for the zoo? That's just wrong...

While this is indeed "terrible news", the dramatic thread title made me think a club member had died or been in some tragic accident. Thank goodness that wasn't the case.

This pisses me off. This reeks of some bureaucrat fretting over money and "popular exhibits" at the cost of more educational ones. I can just hear someone yelling "cut the invert exhibit so we can buy more elephants."

No kidding, I see local counties put sooooo much money in these schools for nothing, and they can't figure out a little cash for the zoo? That's just wrong...

for nothing? This thread is about education

I really do not see why the zoo doesn't charge 5 bucks for entrance if there's a shortfall on money. I believe its one of the only free zoos out there

Elephant were "free", they came from other zoos that closed their exhibit.

What we really need is a sponsor for the only "aquarium" in the nation's capital. We may be the only developed country who's capital does not have an aquarium. The invertebrate exhibition was the closest thing to an aquarium after the one under Commerce closed.

Sat is the last day for the public. Any chance of having a WAMAS social on Sunday ? Maybe some of us have friends in high places, we can invite them as potential sponsors to stop this closing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Nah it's working out well for schools - last study I saw street sweeper's kid in Shanghi better educated than a CEO's kid in America........GO USA  :laugh: 

Annoying is to think of how many millions get wasted by the Govt - probably waste more every minute of everyday.

And that street sweepers kid probably doesn't have 3 game counsels 6 pairs of air Jordan's and a set of parents who work 70 hours a week and let some 3rd party person raise their kid who teaches him nothing about life.

This country has turnned into a free handout country and were slowly seeing the consequences. Not saying its not top heavy and there's wasted money. Just sayin

Now... back to matter of the Zoo's Invertebrate Exhibit closing...

According to this press release, the Smithsonian Institution requested $851 million for 2015 - an increase of $46 million over 2014's approved budget. All 264 pages of the actual budget request is here. The Zoo's budget can be found on page 63.

If I'm reading this correctly, Federal Appropriations fund about $25.5 million of a $39M operating budget. About $7M comes from sponsors / donors and $5M from a General Trust fund. The final $1.5M comes from Gov't grants an contracts. It's a shame that an exhibit that tries to represent the impact and importance of a small slice of the 99% of life on this planet is regarded as a disproportionate drain on the financial resources of the institution. While it's not to be in the Zoo's future, perhaps the future Hall of Biodiversity will be a superior replacement - once they actually put one together, that is.

for nothing? This thread is about education

I really do not see why the zoo doesn't charge 5 bucks for entrance if there's a shortfall on money. I believe its one of the only free zoos out there

They cannot charge admission as it a Smithsonian property. Smithsonian made a deal way back when to the government that they could have the buildings/properties but could never ever charge admission. This is why all Smithsonian museums are also free admission.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I gotcha.

I guess with such short notice even if there was a way, they have their hearts set on closing it down.

I do apologise about getting off subject earlier. I work for Fairfax county and see things a little different~

Wow, this is really a shocker to hear they are closing because I thought everyone liked the invert house. So D.C. loses the National Aquarium and the Invert House in the same year! Inverts make up 99 percent of the planet's species.

Anyone hear from OUsnakebyte? I wonder what the plans are for the animals and corals. That elegance is the nicest one I've ever seen in a tank. I think they should close the primate house down if anything. It's kind of sad looking at them in those cages sometimes.

So D.C. loses the National Aquarium and the Invert House in the same year!

I had the same thought. Someone high up in D.C. does NOT like inverts/aquatic life I guess

Elephants may be free, but the shipping was not...

Back on topic, visited today and took some pictures.  Was tough to see the faces of the people there - kind of opened up old wounds for me as well.  Hoping for the best and letting the zoo know itself how you feel about the closure of this is a great way to support this remarkable exhibit.

Amazonia at least got a new curator recently, although the plan to expand the staff turned into add a staff member and then transfer one to another exhibit... but the new staff guy is fantastic (his dad is a WAMAS member and I worked with him at NADC) and with their new curator, hopefully can make some things happen.  If you do go, there already have been some changes and some of the "misfit" fish that aren't really from the Amazon River Basin are moving out to be replaced by ones that truly belong there.

Will post the pictures I took.

In terms of a social, I doubt that would be something that could be pulled off.  Remember, the exhibit was closed because the Zoo leadership felt it was not something they could afford and the fact that it closed with less than a week's notice is pretty telling in terms of their flexibility in this decision.  I know that Mike and Tamie are both very proud of what they've done over the years, but I also know how tough it is to tear something down that represents what you view as your life's work.

Now... back to matter of the Zoo's Invertebrate Exhibit closing...

According to this press release, the Smithsonian Institution requested $851 million for 2015 - an increase of $46 million over 2014's approved budget. All 264 pages of the actual budget request is here. The Zoo's budget can be found on page 63.

If I'm reading this correctly, Federal Appropriations fund about $25.5 million of a $39M operating budget. About $7M comes from sponsors / donors and $5M from a General Trust fund. The final $1.5M comes from Gov't grants an contracts. It's a shame that an exhibit that tries to represent the impact and importance of a small slice of the 99% of life on this planet is regarded as a disproportionate drain on the financial resources of the institution. While it's not to be in the Zoo's future, perhaps the future Hall of Biodiversity will be a superior replacement - once they actually put one together, that is.

You hit the nail on its head!

Dave, thanks a MILLION for the virtual tour!  I knew I wouldn't be able to make it before they closed the exhibit and was bummed about that.  You at least gave me one last good look at some of it =).

I haven't been to the zoo in over 20 years. Im going to check out this exhibt tomorrow. I dont want to regret not experiencing it.

You definitely should! The invert house has a lot of amazing stuff!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk