Getting ready to start "juicing" the tank, dosing conundrum

YHSublime

So I have mixes from BRS salts to dose for calc and alk, but I also have B-Ionics Calcium Bufer System Component No.1 alkalinity and calcium buffer system component no.2 calcium.

I think that I'm going to go with B-Ionic, it seems worth the costs to have it mixed already and waiting to go.

One step ahead of you:

Screenshot2014-03-27at84753PM_zpsd5bfa0d

So with B-ionic I am planning on just hooking the dosers up into the containers, if this is a silly question, bear with me, I'm just starting.

So for my Apex. dosers should be plugged into 4 and 8 on my 8 bar, correct? Can any of you using B-ionic give me an example of your apex program?

Anything I'm missing?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your system consumes 100 ppm of calcium and 2 dkh of alk daily?

Determine daily consumption of alk and extrapolate for calcium.  1 dkh = ~7 ppm of calcium

Edited by ridetheducati

I think that I'm going to go with B-Ionic, it seems worth the costs to have it mixed already and waiting to go.

The 1 Gallon package of B-Ionic costs $33.99 on BRS.

The 1 Gallon package of pre-portioned DIY Calcium and Alkalinity costs $12.99 on BRS (price goes down on a group buy as well).

That's a big difference in price over time, especially for your big tank. It takes me 5 minutes to make the DIY 2-part. Put some coin in your pocket and go with the second option.

I just looked again and the 1 gallon package for Calcium and Alkalinity is only $8.00. The $12.99 package was for Calcium, Alk, and Mag.

Even more of a savings :)

4 and 8 are good choices if the dosers draw really small current as they are relay outlets.

Nominally, 20 ppm of calcium is consumed for every 2.8 dKH of alkalinity. This ratio can be considerably less if the tank has a nitrate problem that is being managed through water changes. (I know that's not the case in your tank.)

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Isaac use brs...it's so much cheaper and as your sps grow you are going to consume a ton...not a good place to be lazy...cost is king...buy some at the gb and save even more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I have both for the moment, b ionic and brs, so brs us king here, eh?

Thanks for confirmation on the outlets, Tom. And numbers!

Your system consumes 100 ppm of calcium and 2 dkh of alk daily?

Determine daily consumption of alk and extrapolate for calcium. 1 dkh = ~7 ppm of calcium

Thanks sir. I'd have some serious sps to be going through that amount daily...

The 1 Gallon package of B-Ionic costs $33.99 on BRS.

The 1 Gallon package of pre-portioned DIY Calcium and Alkalinity costs $12.99 on BRS (price goes down on a group buy as well).

That's a big difference in price over time, especially for your big tank. It takes me 5 minutes to make the DIY 2-part. Put some coin in your pocket and go with the second option.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I wont be lazy.

bionic has things other than cal, mag, and alk. trace stuff supposedly. the fans of it really love it. /shrug

Water changes will take care of that. A small tank i get it but a packed sps it's not cost efficient

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Isaac,

If you need help setting up and programming your Apex let us know. The OSC command can be confusing, but the excel calculator can take a lot of the guess work out of it.

Isaac,

If you need help setting up and programming your Apex let us know. The OSC command can be confusing, but the excel calculator can take a lot of the guess work out of it.

Yep.  I couldn't get my head around it before I got the excel spreadsheet, now it's very easy.

Water changes will take care of that. A small tank i get it but a packed sps it's not cost efficient

Yeah, I plan on being dilligent with my water changes still, it's working.

you can buy ESV in 5 gallon buckets which bring the costs down a ton. 

That is also true.

Isaac,

Thanks! I will be asking for help I'm sure. The hardest part for me will be re-routing my plugs on the apex to open up 4 and 8 :)

Yep.  I couldn't get my head around it before I got the excel spreadsheet, now it's very easy.

I was looking through the spreadsheet yesterday night, not very hard mind you, but still trying to make heads or tails.

Thanks! I will be asking for help I'm sure. The hardest part for me will be re-routing my plugs on the apex to open up 4 and 8 :)

For what it's worth, I've been running my BRS dosers on whatever ports I want using one of these little cords after someone posted it:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-6991-Liberator-Extension/dp/B001GLWL0O

The cords have a light in them that apparently adds enough extra load that the SSR's shut off correctly.  Plus it's cool to see it light up when the doser turns on.

For what it's worth, I've been running my BRS dosers on whatever ports I want using one of these little cords after someone posted it:

The cords have a light in them that apparently adds enough extra load that the SSR's shut off correctly.  Plus it's cool to see it light up when the doser turns on.

Aren't those nice! And a bargain, too. $6 for three, and Amazon Prime as well!

That would be super cool, Alan. I can bring you some coral in trade, or cash, whatever works.

That would be super cool, Alan. I can bring you some coral in trade, or cash, whatever works.

Hah, they're like a dollar each.  Don't worry about it. 

Just a thought here. From looking at the calculator sheet you posted, it looks as if it's giving you higher doses since you put in that you want to raise your ca and ph. Seems that the dose recommended would raise it to that level, but then you'd probably have to see how much is consumed in a day and recalculate it. It would probably be significantly lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought here. From looking at the calculator sheet you posted, it looks as if it's giving you higher doses since you put in that you want to raise your ca and ph. Seems that the dose recommended would raise it to that level, but then you'd probably have to see how much is consumed in a day and recalculate it. It would probably be significantly lower.

Correct. I put it what I was at, and where I wanted to be. I'm just going to calculate consumption from where I am at and that will be my new number. That's what Ride The Ducati was saying above.

Yea I saw. Just wanted to say not to write the calculator off completely and do all your own math :) math is hard, leave it to the computer hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whichever route you take just TEST TEST TEST for the first couple weeks.  I was testing Alk twice daily while setting up my dosing regime. Then move to weekly testing and monitor to see when you need to add a couple more minutes here and there to keep things stable.