What is this thing?

dante411x

I got sold this fish at a Petco about 2 months ago as a "sand sifting goby". It's not one of those. I knew than then and I know it now, but it was only $3 so I didn't ask questions.

My closest guess would be a starry blenny? But the coloration seems off. This guy doesn't touch algae at all. And wigs out all over the tank. He's either not moving or going 100mph.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

algae blenny

+1

They have awesome personalities, as a class.

Give me that bad boy!!!! I have some work for him to do. He only eats SOUL Food!!! :laugh:

Edited by DCReefer1964

algae blenny

+1

They have awesome personalities, as a class.

I'd believe it if I saw him ever eat anything resembling algae. He destroys any food that I feed the tank, but doesn't pick on any algae. As in I've never seen him even bother in the entire time I've had him. And there's plenty of it to go around.

Also, he tends to change colors depending on mood. Sometimes he's all black with white dots, sometimes he's the color in pictures. Haven't quite figured out what the trigger for it is yet.

Give me that bad boy!!!! I have some work for him to do. He only eats SOUL Food!!! :laugh:

Haha I would if I didn't have to worry about the sudden punch in the head syndrome my girlfriend will develop if he's gone. He's easily her favorite fish, she loves the crazy antics and I can't lie, I do too.

Posted Image

Like this interesting trait. He spends entirely too much time stuck to a powerhead. Too lazy to put in the effort to stay in one spot with the current I guess..

Lawnmower blenny. I had one in a smaller tank once. While he'd clear out the film algae on the glass, he wasn't much for stuff like hair algae. Some other people have had better luck with them in this regard.

Lawnmower blenny. I had one in a smaller tank once. While he'd clear out the film algae on the glass, he wasn't much for stuff like hair algae. Some other people have had better luck with them in this regard.

+1 It looks like a Lawnmower Blenny. I had one once it had great personality.

Fair enough. Maybe. It's just strange that he goes all over for any other kind of food except for algae. Doesn't touch seaweed clips or the algae pellets that the tangs and the angel are all crazy for.

Fair enough. Maybe. It's just strange that he goes all over for any other kind of food except for algae. Doesn't touch seaweed clips or the algae pellets that the tangs and the angel are all crazy for.

my starry blenny doesn't touch anything other than the glass algae....nothing else I put in or that is one the rocks...but eats whatever frozen food I put in like an animal.

my starry blenny doesn't touch anything other than the glass algae....nothing else I put in or that is one the rocks...but eats whatever frozen food I put in like an animal.

That's why I thought that this one was a starry blenny and not lawnmover. Who knows. Maybe it's a Petco blenny. All special like.

look for $3 who cares....lol thats a bargain!

Haha exactly! And the guy at petco had to disassemble the whole tank to get him out for me, so watching that made it that much better!

Look for "kiss" marks in the film algae that probably grows on your glass. That's the stuff mine liked to eat. Of course, it would eat pellets, mysis, etc., too, if available. Mine definitely did not live up to stories of its "lawnmower" brethren.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

I had one that would lay around on clusters of zoas. Lots of personality. Love their little "eye lashes" or whatever those things are on the head. (Mine had them real close to the eyes).

Edited by Rob A

He is either a Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus) , Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus), or most likely:

you have a very rare SALARIAS EATUM ANTHIAS.....

Beautiful fish, the only problem is that he likes to eat trios of female Anthias.

So if you happen to have any in your tank you may want to sell the Anthias to someone who would like them to finish his Anthias Harem....just sayin.

He is either a Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus) , Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus), or most likely:

you have a very rare SALARIAS EATUM ANTHIAS.....

Beautiful fish, the only problem is that he likes to eat trios of female Anthias.

So if you happen to have any in your tank you may want to sell the Anthias to someone who would like them to finish his Anthias Harem....just sayin.

Ahahahaha

Well, one of them is turning male quite quickly. Not sure how the harem would work out with this little predicament. They're all bigger than him. And since he only eats trios of females I think I've nothing to worry about ;-P

looks like a molly miller

+1

Hmm. It does appear to be missing the eyelashes of a lawnmower (algae) blenny...