Sunday, big blowout aquarium party!!

dave w

on Dave W's 3,500 gallon tank in Fairfax Station.  Lots of free food and beer provided.  Sunday is also a WAMAS social at Petland in Fairfax, so we can do the glass either in the morning before the social or in the afternoon after the social is over.  Afternoon will be more pleasant to work, by then the greenhouse is usually 90F.  But I can plan on either time, or both.  Just for fun, let's plan on 3:00 unless a better time works for people.

The biggest pane is 270 pounds but the largest ones after that are only 120 pounds, really light.  I will PM directions to anyone interested.  After 3 1/2 years of building, it's nice to finally get ready for the water!

Hope to see some people there.

Oh by the way, I will also need a couple of helpers at the Manassas Home Depot on Saturday when the glass delivery truck gets into town.  I already have a van and A frame to hold the glass but will need help.  There are two Home Depots in Manassas and I don't know yet which one they will deliver to, and I also don't yet know the time.  I should know this in the next day or two and I will pass on the information.

Dave W.  (571) 447-2230

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3500 is that a typo lol?!Wow I'll try to make it. Amazing

No typo. That's Dave's big project.

That's Dave's SLOW project.  I broke ground in November of 2010 as I recall.  Gmerek2, it would be good to have your company.  Let me know your favorite beer and I'll get a six pack.  

To make it more interesting, we'll wet down the granite floor and have everyone slide around barefoot.

I would love to help. I will bring some crisco to up the stakes.

Well, I'd love to see big pieces of glass and such a large aquarium after reading about all the work that is going into it, but I can't make it on Sunday to help.  Please post pictures of the event and the aftermath.  Hope no drunk klutzes drop your glass.

I am sure he will wait to hand out the libations till atleast 75% of the glass is up,lol

You're right.  It really depends on how fast the work goes to when the drinking begins.  If we move quickly that would be great, but if only a couple people show up I'd be more than happy just to get up one big panel.  But everyone has to be under control for their ride home or they have to sleep it off in the guest room.

we'd love to have your help.  favorite beverage?

Oh, I'm not picky, I'm really more interested in seeing what is possibly the next Great Barrier Reef.

Oh, I'm not picky, I'm really more interested in seeing what is possibly the next Great Barrier Reef.

LOL.  The corals only go in after the angelfish fail because I don't want to introduce hydroids into the system.  And corals will probably be at least a year away because it will take me that long to start to succeed or fail with fish.  I probably will not succeed.  And boy, will that be the biggest splash of a failure in a long time.  

I think I might start with 50 so I have room for things like dartfish and fairy wrasses.  First I'll have to rob a bank to afford to buy them.    

Tom, thank you so much.  You are very close to me, most of Springfield is just 20 minutes.  I am on the far side of Fairfax County Parkway.  What's your drink of choice?

I drink anything as long as it says beer.  I'm at the parkway and pohick rd

Newsflash!  Change in plans.  The glass supplier in Tennessee says that an ice storm has put them a week behind schedule, so glass delivery is put off one week.  So it's NEXT Sunday the 23rd for the build party, not this Sunday the 16th.  I will PM everyone who has answered on this thread.