Sunday, big blowout aquarium party!!

dave w

I might be able to lend a hand.  Keep me on the PM list.  I live 5 minutes away from the HD off 66 in Manassas.

Also, I agree, hydroids are evil.  I lucked out.  Apparently some of my fish developed a taste for them.  I watched at least 2 of my fish suck up digitate hydroids.  I thought I was going to be doomed with them forever, now they exist only in the sump. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wangspeed, thank you.  I still don't know which of the two Manassas Home Depots they'll use for the glass drop off, or the time, but I will find out both by late next week.  I will PM you when I know more.

Dave, is this Glass Cages that's delivering the panels? If so, they deliver to the parking lot of the Home Depot at Balls Ford Rd and 234.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Thanks Origami Tom,

Yes it is Glass Cages.  When we talked they weren't sure which one they would go to, but the Home Depot you identify is by far easier to reach than the one off Rt 28.  So I imagine that will be the drop off point but I won't be sure until we confirm late next week.  I'm looking for someone with a pickup because my friend's van may not carry the approximately 1,000 pounds of glass.  

Does anyone have a pickup handy?  I will build the A-frame that holds the glass.  

Dave, I would love to help next week. I also have a friend that lives down the street that has a pickup. I am posotive he will help move as much glass as his truck can handle as long as he gets some gas money. Pm me to work something out, I live right behind the home depo, and both of us would love to help.

Piper, thank your for your offer.  I went to your place once and was very impressed by your beautiful display tank.  Yes we'd love to borrow a pickup from your friend and I'll pay enough to fill the whole tank, not just the 20 miles from his place to Fairfax Station.   I will let you know later in the week when I get more specific delivery details.

Thanks again.  

(edited)

Wangspeed, I don't see a problem with a shortbed.  A slight overhang in the back won't be a problem.  However something to keep in mind is that the glass drop off is Saturday and the glass party is Sunday.  So I'll have to trade cars with someone for a day.  No problem for me, I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with lots of cheerios in the back, but I hope this doesn't pose a problem for anyone else.

On the other hand, I can also get paid help to bring the glass from the A-frame into the greenhouse area on Saturday, then somebody could have his pickup back and not have to put up with my dirty car.  I can accommodate either.

Edited by dave w

i have an enclosed car trailer, pretty sure id be able to help in a pinch....its a 28ft so it will fit several tanks in addition....lemme know if you are in a bind and ill do what i can to make it work.

DerABT, many thanks for your generosity.  If it is a snowy or rainy day that would be a great option.  But I promise I won't call you unless every other option has failed.  

28 feet?  That is one heckuva trailer!!

woops meant 26ft, but i wouldnt mind bigger, :laugh:

Just let me know, i think its about 94in door width in the rear with plenty of tie down points (i have straps that should work). Dolleys would make life easy. i some meant to put under a cars tire that could probalby work but loading ramps makes it easy enough.

may have to bring the kids with me so the wife Ok's the trip, but ill do what i can to make time if you need it.

Der ABT, 26' is plenty.  I'll still look for a pickup as a first choice because a higher bed may be better.  I don't know whether the delivery truck will have a hydraulic lift, but since they probably handle some really big tanks I'd guess that it does.   And in that case either a trailer or pickup will do.  If my buddy the glass installer is available he may already have a professional A frame in the back of his pickup.  It will be a few more days before plans finalize.  If I use his pickup he'll need it to drive home so I need a few helpers to walk the glass from his truck to the greenhouse.

We shall see.

Glass arrival update.  The glass delivery truck will be at the Manassas Home Depot (by Rt. 234, Balls Ford Rd, and I-66) at 9:00 a.m. Saturday the 22nd.  At this point the weather is predicted for some showers Saturday but I don't see that as a problem.  I will figure out which pickup/trailer to use.  

After loading we drive half an hour up I-66 and Fairfax Parkway to my house and carry the glass into the greenhouse.  Then I can spend the rest of the day with a belt sander and a garden hose rounding the edges so it installs better.  

Sunday I vote we start around 2:00 and take no more than a few hours.  I think any more than that is too much to ask of volunteers.  We can have pizzas ready at the starting time and again around 4:00 or so.  We don't have to do it all in one day, just make some progress.  After the big panel is in the smaller ones will be easy.  We can start early morning if people prefer to get it out of the way, and we can start at noon if people want.  I just pick 2:00 because if its sunny the greenhouse will be very nice to work in.

I will PM everyone who has responded so far.  Anyone else is also welcome.

Dave w. (571) 447-2230

Hi Dave,

I would also love to help but my son bday is sunday so i have to back out. I am looking forward to some events pics though!

Brewski, thanks for thinking about us.  If you like to get up early Saturday you can be in Manassas at 9, but I know a lot of people like to sleep in.  

We will do our best to take some pictures.

Thank you Tricia.  If we don't finish this weekend and in my spare time during next week, another extravaganza may be in order.  I will give an update.  If your picture is a true facsimile, we'll let you hold the 270 pound glass panel while the rest of the gang gets sandwiches.   Just kidding, there are plenty of glass tasks to go around.  Let me know your preferred drink.

Dave, 

I may be able to assist and plan on being at the Expo Center for the event.. what time are you thinking?

Dave, I might be able to help and have a pallet jack that could make things much easier if you have pallets to put the glass on. Irregardless of whether I am available, you are welcome to use the pallet jack.

Dave, 

I may be able to assist and plan on being at the Expo Center for the event.. what time are you thinking?

Wayne, are you talking about Saturday or Sunday?  You're welcome to help on either day.  Saturday we will take the glass off the truck at 9:00, then drive it to my house so I can spend the day sanding down corners.

Sunday at 1:00 we will drink some beer and chat.  And maybe put in some glass if there's time.  Let me know what time the Expo center event is and maybe we can work around that.  Also tell me your favorite beer.

Dave, I might be able to help and have a pallet jack that could make things much easier if you have pallets to put the glass on. Irregardless of whether I am available, you are welcome to use the pallet jack.

Dave, that is a generous offer.  How many people in WAMAS have ordered from Glass Cages before?  I don't know how the glass is packaged but a pallet made into an A-frame is very likely.  I will call them tomorrow, it is too late in the day today.  

Thanks again.

Wayne, are you talking about Saturday or Sunday?  You're welcome to help on either day.  Saturday we will take the glass off the truck at 9:00, then drive it to my house so I can spend the day sanding down corners.

Sunday at 1:00 we will drink some beer and chat.  And maybe put in some glass if there's time.  Let me know what time the Expo center event is and maybe we can work around that.  Also tell me your favorite beer.

If you need more hands for Saturday in the morning, Ill be there as I am heading to Herndon that day. 

Sunday may be little tough as I will have my little one with me... so she can see the pets at the Expo center. 

Dave, that is a generous offer.  How many people in WAMAS have ordered from Glass Cages before?  I don't know how the glass is packaged but a pallet made into an A-frame is very likely.  I will call them tomorrow, it is too late in the day today.  

Thanks again.

Steve Outlaw did once, but his didn't come on an A Frame in a pallet, his came as a tank and was held together with silicone.  He did a great job unpacking it, though, down to individual panes of glass... ;)

Wayne, we'd love to have your help Saturday morning at 9:00.  Thank you very much.  I assume you know where the Home Depot is by I-66 and Rt. 234, yes?

See you then.