Genesis Renew Auto Water Change System

Oprah Wrangler

Hello Wamas,

As I am sure you can ascertain from the title of this thread, I have purchased a Genesis Renew Auto Water Change System and weather permitting it should be here by Wednesday.  I will be posting photos and information as things arrive.  This is going to be great!!!  That is all for know but stay tuned in.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing. Look into Monkiboy's build, he's also starting to mess around with one as well.

Thanks, I saw monkiboy's thread and videos.  Big part of why I took the plunge.  I cant wait for this thing to get here.  I was surprised, when I did a search through our forums, that Monikboy is the only one that appears to have made the investment in the unit.  I am going to try and log the progress of my water quality so that my fellow wamasers might experience this beauty with me.

Edited by Oprah Wrangler

I don't have the genesis, but have my own diy setup. You will love the stability you gain from multiple smaller water changes throughout the week. My tank has literally never done this good

I don't have the genesis, but have my own diy setup. You will love the stability you gain from multiple smaller water changes throughout the week. My tank has literally never done this good

I read a great article on Advanced Aquarists (?) about the diffrences in small frequent changes vs large monthly changes and the stability of the tank water is sick.  I am working so much, attending school full time (7 classes this semster), and I have a wife...so it was invest in this or give up the hobby.  Now I can enjoy my tank and take care of the inhabitants better.

I had one , allowed a family member to use it when I was going threw a dry spell, now my system resides in Cali, and it's never coming back. :)

I read a great article on Advanced Aquarists (?) about the diffrences in small frequent changes vs large monthly changes and the stability of the tank water is sick.  I am working so much, attending school full time (7 classes this semster), and I have a wife...so it was invest in this or give up the hobby.  Now I can enjoy my tank and take care of the inhabitants better.

Hah, I'm in all the same boat other then the school, but my job takes upwards of 60-70 hours of my week sometimes. It doesn't leave much time to do other stuff and I always slacked on maintenance. Now all I need is a few minutes to mix up saltwater and it all takes care of itself... it's so nice

I had one , allowed a family member to use it when I was going threw a dry spell, now my system resides in Cali, and it's never coming back. :)

Was the unit as user friendly as I hear the people on reefcentral say it is? 

Hah, I'm in all the same boat other then the school, but my job takes upwards of 60-70 hours of my week sometimes. It doesn't leave much time to do other stuff and I always slacked on maintenance. Now all I need is a few minutes to mix up saltwater and it all takes care of itself... it's so nice

I mix my water the night before I do changes.  I am really looking forward to being able to just roll the trash can over to the Genesis and push a button, pour a bourbon, and watch my water quality improve.

I don't even have to go that far... If you go in the DIY forum you can see a post about mine.. I just turn a few valves to move it from one barrel to another and I'm done. Hardest part is pouring in 6.5 cups of salt once there is fresh ro/di in barrel 1

you're going to love it andre. i used my system for about 2-3 years without issue, free firmware upgrades, and immediate and informative customer service no matter the hour.

i'll be swapping out my float senors for avast pressure switch sensors with the RKE output with nano magnetic mounts that plug right up PnP-style into the genesis reef system for an even cleaner look with arguably more reliability.

did you get the pro?

you're going to love it andre. i used my system for about 2-3 years without issue, free firmware upgrades, and immediate and informative customer service no matter the hour.

i'll be swapping out my float senors for avast pressure switch sensors with the RKE output with nano magnetic mounts that plug right up PnP-style into the genesis reef system for an even cleaner look with arguably more reliability.

did you get the pro?

Wow, so this can be fitted to a RKE?  I have one and I didn't know that was possible.  Yes, I got the renew pro but I did not get the top off option.  What pumps do you use on yours?  You mention that you used it for 2-3 years without issue.  Is it still functioning well or are you having issues now?

Wow, so this can be fitted to a RKE?  I have one and I didn't know that was possible.  Yes, I got the renew pro but I did not get the top off option.  What pumps do you use on yours?  You mention that you used it for 2-3 years without issue.  Is it still functioning well or are you having issues now?

No, I think you have it mixed up. I believe he said that he's using the RKE Avast Marine pressure switches on the Genesis since they are the same connector...

i am using the avast pressure switches which can be ordered with RKE outputs whose logic can be reversed for our need with the genesis reef system so it plugs right into the genesis control module center. i used the pumps it came with eheims. they have worked great the time i've had them. i used it for 2.5 years or so and then took it down when i started my new build and still have not got it reinstalled. no issues thus far that the the triple redundancy of the pro didn't catch. i had a float sensor get stuck a few times that if there weren't any redundancies would have been huge issues but they design for everything you could imagine failing so the user has no worries.

No, I think you have it mixed up. I believe he said that he's using the RKE Avast Marine pressure switches on the Genesis since they are the same connector...

that's correct - thanks for clearing that up.

Marco had a video review up somewhere where he went through some of the features.  It does look pretty nice.  Probably something similar could be cobbled together DIY, but their system looks great to do it all for you and to incorporate some well thought out failsafes.