Genesis Renew Auto Water Change System

Oprah Wrangler

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're NH3 should be zero. You must be using API and are reading it wrong or have a bad test kit, or else your livestock are going downhill. 

You're NH3 should be zero. You must be using API and are reading it wrong or have a bad test kit, or else your livestock are going downhill. 

I am not concern.  My inhabitants look healthy, are acting healthy, and with my new automated water change system poor water quality is a thing of the past.  I am using an API kit that I have successfully gotten a zero reading from.  I trust the kit, but again, it is a moot point now that I am doing regular water changes.  30 gallons last night and I will be doing another 30 gallons tonight as well as a final 30 gallons on Sunday.  Monday will begin my routine of 1 gallon changes daily.  Everything will balance out great but I greatly appreciate your concern and you bringing it to my attention.  BTW, why do you think that the livestock is going downhill.  High NH3's can come from over feeding as well, right?

Rather than post test kit results, why not post a picture of the exact same portion/angle of your tank on every update? Particularly one of an area that's not looking so hot that you are hoping will improve with increased water changes. After all, the reason you are using this is to improve the health and ultimately the appearance of your tank, not what a few low accuracy & precision test kits say.

Even if it doesn't look too hot now, the improvement will be a great testament to the usefulness of the product, and I'm sure they'd love that feedback.

Welcome to the world of continuous water change! It's quite nice, and you'll never go back to buckets again :)

I am not concern.  My inhabitants look healthy, are acting healthy, and with my new automated water change system poor water quality is a thing of the past.  I am using an API kit that I have successfully gotten a zero reading from.  I trust the kit, but again, it is a moot point now that I am doing regular water changes.  30 gallons last night and I will be doing another 30 gallons tonight as well as a final 30 gallons on Sunday.  Monday will begin my routine of 1 gallon changes daily.  Everything will balance out great but I greatly appreciate your concern and you bringing it to my attention.  BTW, why do you think that the livestock is going downhill.  High NH3's can come from over feeding as well, right?

Ammonia (and nitrite) are toxic to livestock. I wasn't suggesting you had a problem. I was just saying that if you really did have ammonia, you would probably see a decline in your livestock's health soon. I have no doubt that unless you had some drastic die off recently, that you have 0 ammonia since I assume your tank has done the nitrogen cycle already. But if you really did have ammonia, I'd be worried about "why" because the fix is obvious, like you said.

Unfortunately, I was not on a schedule I would do them when I could.  The last one was done the third week of January and it was 20 gallons.  The tank only has 1 clown, 2 Talbot damsels, 1 bubble tip, 1 unknown sps frag, and GSP.  I also have assorted Macro growing in my refugium and a Waveline skimmer rated for up to 158 gallons in my sump.

(edited)

Rather than post test kit results, why not post a picture of the exact same portion/angle of your tank on every update? Particularly one of an area that's not looking so hot that you are hoping will improve with increased water changes. After all, the reason you are using this is to improve the health and ultimately the appearance of your tank, not what a few low accuracy & precision test kits say.

Even if it doesn't look too hot now, the improvement will be a great testament to the usefulness of the product, and I'm sure they'd love that feedback.

Welcome to the world of continuous water change! It's quite nice, and you'll never go back to buckets again :)

I tried getting pictures of the DT last night but our camera sucks and the quality of the image is such that you cant really see all the algae.  I will keep trying.  I have a lot of algae growth including cyano.  I need to add more of a clean up crew but my concerns about water quality have kept me from this as I do not want to add things to a less than stable environment.  I am really looking forward to not hauling water and buckets, my back thanks me most of all.

Edited by Oprah Wrangler

Ammonia (and nitrite) are toxic to livestock. I wasn't suggesting you had a problem. I was just saying that if you really did have ammonia, you would probably see a decline in your livestock's health soon. I have no doubt that unless you had some drastic die off recently, that you have 0 ammonia since I assume your tank has done the nitrogen cycle already. But if you really did have ammonia, I'd be worried about "why" because the fix is obvious, like you said.

Got ya.  It was around midnight and I was three bourbons in when I read the test... :idea:  I should have listed that result as being 0-0.25ppm.  I think it is gonna be alright however.  Thanks again.

I tried getting pictures of the DT last night but our camera sucks and the quality of the image is such that you cant really see all the algae.  I will keep trying.  I have a lot of algae growth including cyano.  I need to add more of a clean up crew but my concerns about water quality have kept me from this as I do not want to add things to a less than stable environment.  I am really looking forward to not hauling water and buckets, my back thanks me most of all.

Google aquarium photography and spend an hour reading.  With a little learning and practice, even a 10 year old, $100 digital camera is capable of producing a reasonably good aquarium photo.  It is time well spent, I assure you.  Find a tripod or just use a cardboard box, anything other than holding the camera by hand.  

Google aquarium photography and spend an hour reading.  With a little learning and practice, even a 10 year old, $100 digital camera is capable of producing a reasonably good aquarium photo.  It is time well spent, I assure you.  Find a tripod or just use a cardboard box, anything other than holding the camera by hand.  

Wow, there is a lot of information out there on taking pictures of your fish tank...this could take a while, lol.

• 1 month later...