Avast cs1 skimmer not skimming

Duke

Hi guys, I'm having some issues with my cs1 skimmer. It's not creating any foam. When I got this thing at first, it was amazing! Now it's just bouncing water around in the cone. In order to get it to skim, I take a syringe with water and push it into the air intake and Walla! It's skimming again. By the time I get up in the morning, it's back to doing what it's doing again. The whole skimmer shakes and struggles to make any foam. I have it sitting about 10" of water. Oh and the sound coming from the air intake is noticeably louder.

Please help!

Posted Image

sounds like your air intake or the venturi is clogging. I bet there's some doodoo in the output of the big sicce pump on the bottom that keeps clogging the venturi air input. Nice thing about CS1 is that it's very easy to pull out and take apart. It's designed to come completely apart for cleaning. Pull the thing out, dump the water out, pull the pump off the uniseals on the bottom and pull off the venturi section which is where the air tube goes in and make sure that and the pump volute are free of debris.

Also, any time I have questions about Avast stuff I go to their website and hit the Contact Us button. Usually within a day I get a conversation started with either Dan or Justin to figure out what I should do.

sounds like your air intake or the venturi is clogging. I bet there's some doodoo in the output of the big sicce pump on the bottom that keeps clogging the venturi air input. Nice thing about CS1 is that it's very easy to pull out and take apart. It's designed to come completely apart for cleaning. Pull the thing out, dump the water out, pull the pump off the uniseals on the bottom and pull off the venturi section which is where the air tube goes in and make sure that and the pump volute are free of debris.

Also, any time I have questions about Avast stuff I go to their website and hit the Contact Us button. Usually within a day I get a conversation started with either Dan or Justin to figure out what I should do.

agreed. i would add: after cleaning put it back together and let it run in a vinegar bath. i do that to mine occasionally. it would be a good time to check the impeller also. probably not a problem but i have seen them swell up in sedra pumps. 

4th that. Mine does it about every 2 months from calcium deposits. Takes about ten minutes to clean.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys. I'll clean it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Skimmer is fixed and is back on duty. The hissing sound was from the silencer restricting airflow. So what I did was pull the line to the silencer off completely. That made the skimmer pull in enough air to start skimming again for some reason.

Posted Image

Why is the silencer sitting on the water? That should be raised up, so water can't get in the airline tube.

Don't know why they made that pipe so short. I've been meaning to raise that.

It looks like the outflow tee and the vent pipe are missing?

+1, it looks like some pieces are missing.

8u2udury.jpg

Right now the air tube isn't plugged into the silencer.

Edited by Duke

• 1 month later...

Still running it the same way. Stuck a smaller tube inside the intake line then direct it else where. I think it's quieter this way.