First new custom tank 180 gallons

Slug A

Hello to my fellow reefers! I started my passion of fish as a child. It always starts out with that first small goldfish and ends with half of your house as a living art decor project. I've learned a lot over the years... as a child I feed my fish bologna to now feeding my fish the best of the best foods. What started as a bowl with water in it has become a RO system with UV lights and protein skimmers to Kessil LED lights. I've had every thing from 1/2 gallon bowl to a 200DD tank.
My new project is a 96x24x18 Custom Acrylic Aquarium - Produced with 3/4" acrylic for the main body with an external overflow. With a 72x18x18 Custom Acrylic Sump - 1/2" acrylic for main body, skimmer chamber, refugium, return chamber, ATO Chamber and custom 96.5x24.5x36 Steel Stand - 1.5" Steel Tube, mitre jointed corners, finished with a black rust resistant finish, 6 vertical risers and 3 horizontal stringers with 3/4" ply on top, 1/2" ply on bottom. Premium Dark Blue Acrylic Skin for steel stand. Skin will be constructed from 1/2" Dark Blue Acrylic. It will consist of 4 removable panels, 2 in the front, and 1 on each side. Panels will be magnetically attached to the stand for easy removal for under stand maintenance. 
I have a ton (literally could be a ton) of live rock, corals and fish waiting for there new home to arrive. I am also awaiting the new tank so I can stop hearing about why I have a 90 gallon pond a 60 gallon pond and several 55 gallon drums of water in the middle of the basement floor. My wife agreed to ONE tank not the holding system from H-E-double hockey sticks as she calls it.
Pictures of my new tank to come... thank you to Adam at Artfully Acrylic for making my hole set up! And to my wife it is almost over I promise (yes my fingers are crossed as I typed that)! 

Edited by Mr Rock

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant wait for some pics! I bet your wife will end up enjoying it more than you, once you clear all your holding tanks out of the way ;)

Yay! Looking forward to a lot of pictures, Derrick!

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Looks like frosty the snowman cutting that weir.

Sounds like a good strategy with the holding tubs to me.  I should start slowly putting tubs out on the basement floor and when the wife gets totally sick of them I can sell her on how much better it would all look with an 8 foot long tank along the basement wall...

It does look like it snowed... and since it is 11 degrees right now... it does fit.

I cant wait to see this progress. Keep up the pictures.

And here is the top welded on and now curing...

yjaja4ag.jpg

This is one of the hardest parts to setup on a tank this size. Error ratio is expounded with the length. Great acrylic seams are dependent on being accurate in the drop gap to within greater than 1/128th of an inch. You can't measure that with the human eye and a tape measure. You need certain trade secrets for that lol.

This isn't high end wood furniture craftsmanship accuracy requirements...it's that times two ;)...it's ArtFully done.

Thanks to Steve for staying late to help me run the top seam. 20ft of weld needing to be complete and adjusted properly in less than a minute ALWAYS requires more than one person :). On top of that, and Steve refusing to be idle handed, as I worked the machining of the eurobrace, he took it upon himself to take some awesome video and action shots of our process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ArtFully Acrylic (Adam B)