What level of nitrate in a reef tank is to high

linkfalcon

That depends on what you are trying to keep.

LPS? SPS? Zoas? 

SPS are the most sensitize and most sps keepers aim for nitrates as close to zero as possible, or just a little higher if you are trying to keep within the redfield ratio.

Personally, my zoas and other softies / LPS can tolerate between 5 - 10 without a problem, but the sps are not happy. Mine are currently at 2 after being at 15-20 for months.

Two best ways to lower nitrates are macro algae and water changes. I have boosted the lights on my fugue and that seems to have helped a lot.  

Nitrates feed algae growth and are the result of bacteria converting ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. Nitrite is really bad and must always be 0. Ammonia should also always be 0. Nitrates, as Sharky mentioned, can fluctuate but most inverts can only handle so much of it. SPS need it to be around 0 while others can tolerate more.

Macro algae will help to consume nitrates and adding a fuge with macro algae will likely help. However, it will not necessarily solve the root of the issue and prevent other algae blooms. Algae blooms (especially HA) is usually the result of nitrates getting out of control. You must remove the detritus from the tank to minimize the amount of ammonia available to be converted to Nitrite and then to Nitrate.

SPS in tank or LPS? I know SPS undetectable is best there is also a minimum cut off but most people have enough fish that it's not a problem. I had nitrate problem when I first bought tank. I can def tell a difference in growth and corals look more plump now. My tank went from 80ppm to undetectable very quickly. I added large CHEATo growing refugium with strong 3watt LEDs, upped skimmer size, stopped over feeding, added more lighting to increase photosynthetic nitrate eating bacteria, and upped water change.

I agree with everything posted above, and would only add one thing. Deep sand beds are another way to reduce nitrates. If you google them you will find a wealth of information as well as debate (sometimes heated) as to their implementation and efficacy. 

There has always been a big emphasis on nitrates and not enough on phosphates. I've seen tanks with nitrates of at least several parts per million and the corals seemed to be fine. If phosphates reach 0.25 ppm your corals will get sick fast. Most problems with Cyano are due more to phosphates than nitrates. This is why you would not even consider having acropora or some other stonies unless you have good phosphate control.

I agree with everything posted above, and would only add one thing. Deep sand beds are another way to reduce nitrates. If you google them you will find a wealth of information as well as debate (sometimes heated) as to their implementation and efficacy. 

Deep sand beds are fine until you accidentally stir them up and wipe out your entire tank.

linkfalcon, what are your nitrates at now?  Phosphates? 

I also agree with sen5241b.  Corals are much more tolerant of high nitrate than high phosphate. 

Mine stays between 10 and 30 with a ton of water changes. I have a ton of sps doing good so far. It's a mixed reef but a lot of sps. I do plan to incorporate a fuge somehow if the recently added bio pellets don't do the trick.

I think fish can withstand up to 30 or 40… but I'll wait for the FOWLR people to weigh in…

depending on the fish, im my previous tank with triggers...usually around 75-100

what can you do to lower it? there are many options...

What the easiest to lower it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - DECREASE your bioload (remove some fish)

2 - Get a BIG skimmer

3 - Water changes

Those are the top 3.  If you want to take it to another level you can carbon dose, but you asked the easiest ways to lower.

Another EASY option is to not feed as much. :)

Some more easy ones to do, but some of the oft neglected maintenance, like cleaning bubble traps, return pump pre-filters, vacuum out detritus from your sump, siphon sand bed (little at a time), blow detritus off rocks with turkey baster. Basically clean up your tank from stuff that's been collecting for probably a while...

Edited by lnevo

I would add that one of the easiest ways it to grow macro algae. 

While I don't disagree I was at a CMAS meeting where Mike Paletta was the speaker.  He said that Chaeto grows too slow to do anything, but Caulerpa was a much better option (lit 24/7).  No first hand experience with Caulerpa, but just relaying his pov.