Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

Out of town, and out of the country yesterday and I get a call from my wife saying both tanks are without power. Yikes.

The GFI that I installed had tripped. Everything has been running fine for over a week with no issues, and now all of a sudden it trips when I leave town. Murphy strikes! So my wife reset the GFI, everything came back on fine. No leaks behind or underneath the tank. I noticed that the apex had never alerted me that the power was out which was odd since I always test the programming before I leave on a trip. I can also access the apex remotely only intermittently for some reason - 503 errors. An hour later, the GFI trips again. Crap.

A fellow WAMAS member comes to the rescue while I'm out of town, and installs a temporary portable GFI on a different outlet. So far so good...

But what caused the GFI to trip, and why can't I access my apex remotely? I ask my wife to check behind the UPS power supply, and to make sure the Airport Express is plugged into it. She says it's barely plugged in! She plugs it back in, and secures it. No more GFI tripping, and I have been able to access the Apex remotely since.

I'm guessing the Airport Express being barely plugged in was causing an arc of some sort, and the GFI didn't like it.

The tanks had been without power for only two hours according to the apex, and no livestock was affected. Temp dropped only 3 degrees.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad she caught it!

Me too. She said the basement was much too quiet, looked over, and both tanks were dark.

I also programmed the apex to send out an audible alert when the power goes out. That way if someone is home they know something is wrong downstairs.

When you get back, we still have to run your tank on the new GFCI to make sure it doesn't trip.  As for the Airport Express, it still could be a true/true/unrelated thing.  Probably not, but we have to consider it.  The fact that it hasn't tripped on the portable GFI doesn't mean that the hardwired GFI won't act funky.  They are fickle beasts sometimes.  What's more is that power was stable running both tanks for a week and then the storm hit so there might have been fluctuations in the grid which may have caused trouble.

When you get back, we still have to run your tank on the new GFCI to make sure it doesn't trip. As for the Airport Express, it still could be a true/true/unrelated thing. Probably not, but we have to consider it. The fact that it hasn't tripped on the portable GFI doesn't mean that the hardwired GFI won't act funky. They are fickle beasts sometimes. What's more is that power was stable running both tanks for a week and then the storm hit so there might have been fluctuations in the grid which may have caused trouble.

Don't be such a downer! :)

First thing I'll do after spending some time with family is I'm going to switch out the portable gfi and hook everything back up to the hardwired one.

At least we have narrowed it down to either the AP Express being loose, or the hardwired GFI having issues.

Glad it was caught, wife FTW!

She is awesome, and enjoys the fish tanks.  As long as she doesn't have to get her hands dirty with anything she doesn't mind helping out.  :)

No skimmate cleaning huh,?

Lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

She actually doesn't mind emptying the cup, but as for actually cleaning the cup with a brush... thats a no no  :laugh:

I am thinking of getting a locker to hook up to a breakout box for the apex so she doesn't have to empty the cup anymore.  Happy Wife Happy.... Fish?  :cool:

She actually doesn't mind emptying the cup, but as for actually cleaning the cup with a brush... thats a no no  :laugh:

I am thinking of getting a locker to hook up to a breakout box for the apex so she doesn't have to empty the cup anymore.  Happy Wife Happy.... Fish?  :cool:

I clean it with my fingers!  haha

Glad it was caught early and not a oops.

I moved what was on the 30 gallon tank to another outlet with a portable GFI, and hooked everything up from the 57 back to the hardwired GFI last night. So far so good.

I was not able to trip the hardwired GFI by plugging and unplugging the Airport Express like I had hoped.

Also, I figured out the reason why I was not receiving email alerts from the Apex. The power adaptor that senses a power outage was plugged into a different outlet that was still providing power when the GFI tripped. The Apex never knew their was a loss of power. So I moved the power adaptor to the GFI last night too. I will now get email and text alerts if the GFI trips again.

Lesson learned. If you are going to use the power monitor feature of the Apex make sure your power adaptor is plugged into the same outlet as the EB8/Apex. This way if your GFI trips it'll sense a loss of power and alert you.

My theory that the AP Express caused the GFI to trip is off the table now, and I am not 100% certain what caused it. Could have been the storm, a fluctuation on the grid, or some piece of equipment. At least now the other tank is off that hardwired GFI and it will make troubleshooting a lot easier if it happens again.

Other news - I am breaking down the 30 gallon today and moving the rest of the fish over to the new tank. I finally got the clam moved over too. Little bugger was stubborn and wouldn't let go of the rock it was attached on.

I will also be setting up the ATO reservoir in the garage tonight.

I will also be setting up the ATO reservoir in the garage tonight.

Do you have a heated garage? If so, that's awesome. I wish mine was heated. Must be exciting to finally have everything moved over to the new tank. I hope you're able to figure out the GFI issue.

Can you post a full tank pic?

Garage is attached to the house and only gets down to 50-60 degrees in the winter.

Posted Image

Just tested alkalinity(8dkh now 7dkh). It's been on the decline all week since I did my last water change, but calcium has remained roughly the same(470 now 450ppm). I have not been dosing anything since I started this up. Time to start dosing kalk to maintain calcium and alk levels.

Using Reef Crystals for salt.

I wonder what's consuming so much?

I think I know what's going on. The vials I am using to test have not had a thorough cleaning in awhile. Going to use a vinegar / RO bath on them as they look a little dirty, and then test again later.

I also calibrated a brand new lab grade ph probe. PH is hovering around 7.8 which could also be why alk is a little low.

Salinity is 1.024 too. Going to try to raise it with a water change that has a higher salinity. I like it at 1.025.

I think it's all the above. One thing is for sure is that it's on the decline. It may not be actually that low though.

Yeah, it takes me about a week to drop 1 in dkh, but I've got a bit more if an explanation. I'm convinced I may not even need to dose yet. Let us know results after the cleaning!

Yeah, it takes me about a week to drop 1 in dkh, but I've got a bit more if an explanation. I'm convinced I may not even need to dose yet. Let us know results after the cleaning!

Ok keep your test kits clean.

After cleaning -

Calcium 410

Alk 7.5

30 Gallon is sold and out of here. I got an MP40 that has never been used out of the deal too.

The Jawfish was a pain to get out of the tank, and I haven't seen him since I put him in there. Screen top is on just in case. He should start building his new den tonight.

I also did some wire management this afternoon inside the ottoman.

Before.

Posted Image

After.

Posted Image

Small weekly water change done today with a higher salinity to bring the system up to 1.025.

Low amount of kalk now being dosed through the ATO. Water parameters with clean test equipment, and desired salinity -

Salinity 1.025

Calcium 420

Alk 7.5

Mag 1400

pH 7.92 (there is no pH swing during the day. Stays constant and I believe this is due to the lack of algae in the system.)

Temp 79F

Bonsaii is starting to encrust onto the plug.

Posted Image