Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it looks too much like individual rocks.  Also, I like valleys b/t structures.  Maybe break up some of the pieces to fill in the gaps.  Here is the aquascape from my old short lived tank to show what I mean.

8114558780_fef9bd0f52.jpg
P1020699 by mteske1, on Flickr
8373938444_e21a4748a9.jpg
tank by mteske1, on Flickr

With that said, I like the last one the most as well.

Wow Mike that looks great. I was thinking of breaking up some of the rock on the left side. I'm still not 100% set with that part of the scape.

I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow, and add sand.

I put the largest rocks on the bottom, and drilled them. Then I stacked a couple and placed the rest around. Don't be afraid to break them with a hammer, just make sure to wear safety goggles.

Sounds good. Although once corals start to fill in along with coraline covering the rock you won't even see the rock anymore.

That's a really nice scape, Mike.  On the flip side, I think you're right, Ryan.  So my pseudo inspiration scape is so cool and when bare, has a lot of neat details and such - a work of art in itself:

andre-silvestre.jpg

But when it fills in with corals all of those neat shadows and nooks and crannies that seems important with the dry rock scape goes "poof" and all you're left with is the overall shape of the scape:

d1668074.jpg

Edited by Shoelace

Took Mike's advice and broke up some of the rock into smaller pieces.

There is now a narrow valley between the arch and smaller hill on the left.

Going to add sand today. It'll look different with the sand in.

epy6ebav.jpgguragu3y.jpgryvuze9a.jpgy8ajemyt.jpga2eza3em.jpg

Edited by Orion

sorry not a fan...too matchy matchy....looks like two of the exact same structures...there is not enough visual difference between them

I'm trying to make a K!

Just an idea: Take the arch and move it to the left.  Find a single large piece of rock that is only about 1/2 the height of the arch but wider than tall and put that on the right.

After much trial and error this is what I came up with today.

It has a downhill slope to it from right to left with an arch in the center. SPS will be along the top towards the right / center with LPS toward the left side and along the bottom.

Posted Image

The WP25 is very powerful. It easily blows around sand even on the lowest setting. As bacteria builds in the sand it should settle out.

I need to return two bags of sand, and pick up two more small bags that have a larger grain size to them. The Jawfish will need more sand for its den.

Going to continue to monitor the plumbing this week and check for any leaks. The plumbing has already started to quiet itself down.

Will also check water parameters in a couple of days. Tank should be cycled already since the rock has been cooking for 3 months. I see some brittle stars and snails that have survived so far. Diatoms have started on a couple of rocks too.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

It has a downhill slope to it from right to left with an arch in the center. SPS will be along the top towards the right / center with LPS toward the left side and along the bottom.

sezesuqu.jpg

The WP25 is very powerful. It easily blows around sand even on the lowest setting. As bacteria builds in the sand it should settle out.
I need to return two bags of sand, and pick up two more small bags that have a larger grain size to them. The Jawfish will need more sand for its den.

Going to continue to monitor the plumbing this week and check for any leaks. The plumbing has already started to quiet itself down.

Will also check water parameters in a couple of days. Tank should be cycled already since the rock has been cooking for 3 months. I see some brittle stars and snails that have survived so far. Diatoms have started on a couple of rocks too.

sezesuqu.jpg

Now the trick is not to touch it again.  Looks really good.  In the future though, don't let Jenn bully into anything.  She's too used to getting her way!!

Now the trick is not to touch it again.  Looks really good.  In the future though, don't let Jenn bully into anything.  She's too used to getting her way!!

pffffft....I was right...look I pushed him so far he came up with a BRILLIANT scape...so there!  :tongue:

This last and FINAL scape is leaps and bounds from the W one....

Yes, Jenn is a bully. I have been victimized before!

HEY!!  You will thank me when you have that 180 all set and going.....

ha ha.....

what is this some kind of intervention tonight??? 

isaac you better stay quiet over there....

isaac you better stay quiet over there....

You'll note I stayed quiet...

I would encourage you go keep going, I don't quite love the scape yet, but IMO you're on the right path! JMO though, it's if YOU love it...

You'll note I stayed quiet...

I would encourage you go keep going, I don't quite love the scape yet, but IMO you're on the right path! JMO though, it's if YOU love it...

The base rock is already in place now that the sand is in. I may move a couple of rocks around, and/or break another rock apart. The one on the very right is bugging me.

I was just looking at the first couple of scapes I started with - wth was I thinking?

step away from the tank....it really does look good...

don't listen to isaac...he has 2 rocks in a 150  :laugh:

you were just watching too much sesame street....good thing letter of the day wasn't H