Cbashaw's 93 cube build. 30x30x24 lots of pics

cbashaw

This one is going to move a little slow until after the holidays, because I want to do everything right this time.

Specs
Tank: 93 cube 30x30x24 reef ready marineland frameless
Sump:simple 29 gallon with baffles dividing it in 2

Return pump: Eheim 1260
Skimmer: Avast cs-1
Stand: DIY rocketengineer design accessible from 2 sides
Heater: eheim jäger 250w
Light: geisemann 250w de halide 20k bulb (not purchased) with 2 t5 actinics
Flow: leaning towards one tunze 6095 but open to ideas
Background: 2.5% window tint
Refugium: none for now but leaving room for one if needed later.

The tank will be mostly Lps and soft corals with a few sps

My plan for the cabinet is to look similar to this but white.

ea2e2e6fa744ef50f2dd142445fb7ce5_zps734c

Aqua scape will be inspired by this
ed5ea17f966def3fdb3c8aab8eb001a3_zps5fa6

This is my progress so far

2c2fef9f736b1213178603f8245eb071_zps188f

Edited by cbashaw

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taggin along, good luck with the build.  Mind me asking why you are not going with LED's?

I'm still thinking about LEDs but I already have the halide from a previous tank so I'm going to see how that works out first

Any thoughts on flow for this setup? I'm hoping to get away with 1 power head for flow. I'm leaning towards a tunze 6095. I looked at for techs but I think the tunze makes more sense for a few reasons mainly noise and the fact that it can be run on a controller which I plan to add later.

7ba1d2f47369843e3c79334cb4675b60_zps4013

Picked up the tank today from aquarium one they beat everyone on price by nearly $100

c25666eb5fb7ebb74aeed11377913791_zps5e85

I went with the stock overflow. I plan on doing the herbie mod and having the return go over the back. Eventually I will add an om or seaswirl to the return.

I have been very impressed with the chinese knockoff WP25 I have on my tank.  It's extremely quiet, cost less than 100$, and have an individual controller.  There is a WAMAS group buy going on currently.

I've been reading about the WP25's it seems they are hit and miss on reliability. I may give one a try since they are so much cheaper. I'm glad to hear they are quiet I looked at them when I went to ERC and they seem nice, but I couldn't really get a good feel for how quiet they are with the other background noise there.

Edited by cbashaw

Mine is dead silent.  Here is a huge thread on RC on them.....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2283598

I got mine from fish-street.com, which is also hit or miss on customer support (see steveoutlaw's thread here).  I had one occasion to email fish-street.com,  they answered w/in 24 hours and solved my problem to my satisfaction.   I also have heard they sell them on ebay and come with a 1 yr warranty. 

Within the next couple of months Jebao is coming out with a WP10, which I plan to buy.  They put out a youtube video promoting it's release, but the WP10 was shown with suction cups and no controller.  Since then, I've read they have changed that design, and the WP10 will have a magnets and a controller.  Hopefully this is true, no way I'll buy a suction cup held powerhead.  

I have been very impressed with the chinese knockoff WP25 I have on my tank.  It's extremely quiet, cost less than 100$, and have an individual controller.  There is a WAMAS group buy going on currently.

I'll attest to it's silence as well.  I have a WP25 running at 12 volts on my 40B and I literatally have to put my ear on the magnet to hear if its running!!!  I have had mine for about four months now with no issues.  I'll probably give it a vinegar bath at the six month mark just as preventative maintenance.

welcome back chris!  Good luck with the build.

Thanks glad to be back. I've been keeping a nano for a while it will be nice to do a bigger tank again. 

You guys talked me into it. I just jumped in on the wp group buy. I'm just buying 1 for now then I will decide if I want a 2nd wp25 or if I want to spend the extra for the Tunze. 

You guys talked me into it. I just jumped in on the wp group buy. I'm just buying 1 for now then I will decide if I want a 2nd wp25 or if I want to spend the extra for the Tunze. 

You won't regret it.  I too was really skeptical since I already had an MP10 WES in my tank.  The Jebao pump gives you the flexibility of the Tunze pumps as far as aiming your flow etc and then some of the programming that the Vortechs give you.

I unwrapped the tank yesterday to inspect it, and found the bulkheads that come with it look pretty cheap. Are they reliable, or should I order better ones from somewhere else? 

I unwrapped the tank yesterday to inspect it, and found the bulkheads that come with it look pretty cheap. Are they reliable, or should I order better ones from somewhere else? 

I have the exact tank you have. i'm using the included bulkheads and they work fine for me. No issues at all.

thanks Chris I will stick with the stock ones then.

Do you have a build thread on your tank? I have seen pics, but haven't seen much info on your setup. 

if they look cheap or you aren't confident about their use then why use them when replacement is just a few bucks for something that inspires confidence. you don't want to start cutting corners from the beginning or put undue stress (wondering if you should have replaced them) on yourself. take your time, do it right so you feel good about it, and work through all the necessary baby steps. if they are barb output bulkheads definitely replace them but i think that was an oceanic specific thing but worth mentioning nonetheless. excited to see this come together with the minimalist 'scape!

Good point the few dollars will be worth the piece of mind.

I played with the aqua scaping today not really happy with it but I'm making progress. It's hard when you have to make it look good from 2 sides

fa131c65346976e20e0ecac7c8816322_zps7269

Things are coming along great!  The cantilever design in your inspiration aquascape picture is not that easy.  It needs a pretty steady/heavy base to be able to offset the plate that juts out.