Ed's 180 rebuild

Shoelace

Dude, what do you mean getting the hang of it?! Those are GREAT shots. 

LOL, thanks.  So I bought these "extension tubes" that I can add to my prime lenses that change the focal length to basically make a macro lens.  It's just figuring out the distance to what place in the tank is a little tricky, but yes, I'm pretty happy I'm getting better.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built my CS-1 and it's running in vinegar.  Man, this is kicks out some bubbles.  Has anyone noticed that a vinegar solution seems to make more bubbles than your tank water, or perhaps my feed pump is oversized.

P1010118_zps3e5a600c.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been doing more on the "infrastructure" front for my rebuild.  The Avast Marine CS-1 and the Swabbie are running very well now.  I installed a Reef Brite Tech and a 8 x 60" ATI SunPower and have been acclimating.  My softies are a little unhappy, but I think they will be OK.  I also redid a little wiring and reorganized my Apex routing/programming so I'm much happier.

P1010132_zpsefeb3c7d.jpg

Digging it, Ed, looks really clean, even from the side!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loving the Apex box, is that an Ikea special? I'd like to do something like that next to my next tank.

Great pics Ed. I love the views from the end. Great job with the understand LED rope lighting, makes it easier to see what you are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

tank is looking great!  also, love how clean all the hardware is...maybe you want to come down here and fix my fish room as well :)  

tank is looking great!  also, love how clean all the hardware is...maybe you want to come down here and fix my fish room as well :)

Thanks! It's slowly coming along!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How goes the tank, Ed?

Aw, man, Isaac, things are a little crazy 'round these parts.  There is a chance I may be moving back to Boston.  Not any time real soon, but it puts a little dampener on me investing more in the 180.  I'm deciding if I should start putting things up for sale and breaking things down  :blink: Life happens, eh?

Aw, man, Isaac, things are a little crazy 'round these parts. There is a chance I may be moving back to Boston. Not any time real soon, but it puts a little dampener on me investing more in the 180. I'm deciding if I should start putting things up for sale and breaking things down :blink: Life happens, eh?

Life certainly does happen! Just ride it!

Firm up plans before you break down! Sit in front of it when you have some free time, see if you still enjoy it!

• 2 years later...

Hi Wamas!  Life has settled down.  Tank has been on life support (again).  Going to bring it back for the new year.  Wish me luck.

ED!

Welcome back my dude! 

I've gotten out and back in again since you've been gone. Finally settled on a nano. Anything in the 180?

Thanks!  Funny how we can't stay away.  I'll have to check out your nano!  Softies are in the 180.  Red mushrooms have sorta gone berserk.  Going to have to reassess, but I think I'll stick with easy stuff.

So my crappy Jaebo powerheads have died.  Buy once, buy right.  Buy cheap, buy twice.  I'm thinking of getting a Maxspect Gyre, but not sure I want to spend the coin.  I'm going to go read the reviews.  Is it worth it?

Thanks!  Funny how we can't stay away.  I'll have to check out your nano!  Softies are in the 180.  Red mushrooms have sorta gone berserk.  Going to have to reassess, but I think I'll stick with easy stuff.

So my crappy Jaebo powerheads have died.  Buy once, buy right.  Buy cheap, buy twice.  I'm thinking of getting a Maxspect Gyre, but not sure I want to spend the coin.  I'm going to go read the reviews.  Is it worth it?

Many folks running them. I've not had a tank big enough yet. They seem to provide the right type of flow, but I prefer the vortechs myself. 

Always easy, what about fish? 

Thanks! Funny how we can't stay away. I'll have to check out your nano! Softies are in the 180. Red mushrooms have sorta gone berserk. Going to have to reassess, but I think I'll stick with easy stuff.

So my crappy Jaebo powerheads have died. Buy once, buy right. Buy cheap, buy twice. I'm thinking of getting a Maxspect Gyre, but not sure I want to spend the coin. I'm going to go read the reviews. Is it worth it?

I keep two gyres running an alternate schedule. That sets up shifting flow. I augment them, though, with 4 Vortech MP40s to set up more randomness.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk