Pink Birdsnest is brown!!!!

Neto

Hi all

I grabbed a pink birdsnests a while ago and it turned brown on me after just a few weeks.... All its polyps open up fine, its growing pretty well and does receive good amounts of light. All my other corals look fine with good color, heck I even have purple monti's growing with great color.. I have five types of birdsnests and they all have good color with the exception of this one.

I read somewhere that red & pink corals like the addition of Potasium in the tank and once they turn brown then that indicates that the system is low on K... I havent tried this yet because I want to hear more options & experiences. 

Any suggestions??

I wish I has an answer too... But I just figured it was my lighting. I'm using 4 T-5's with them both on for 8 hrs.

Then I also put in perspective that I put the pink pocci in about a month after the tank cycled. Just kinda went with the tank wasn't mature enough and my lighting wasn't strong enough, even with the coral on the highest rock in the tank...

It's still brown, but like yours, it is still growing and happy just not as pretty...

Brown can mean a lot of things - water or light quality are typical. It is a reaction on the part of the organism in response to some environmental factors, but specifics can be tough to pinpoint.

Brown is sign of lots of zooxanthellae, right?  I had read that for best color you have to hit the middle point in light. Too much and it bleaches, too little and it browns.  Bleaching can also be caused by stress when it expels the zoox's too, though, so maybe browning can be caused by other things too, some deficiency that causes it to bulk up on zoox.

I upgrated my lights recently and phosphates are controlled. I use gfo, chaeto and a hanna meter to verify the levels. My lights are 4 clusters each have 2 white, 1 red, 1 turquoise, 1 blue, 2 hyper violet and 2 royal blue. Lights have been up and running for a couple of weeks now so well see

Most of the "pink" birdsnest I see is actually more brown. I have yet to have this coral look really pink in person. Well, I have seen it one time, but the aquarist had a red light shining on the coral. It did look really good like that though! 

Same with mine, my PINK is more BROWN unless you turn on the cheatelights and then tyou might see a hint of PINKISH.

Neto,

I have a pink birdsnest that I have had for almost a year and it has kept its pink color.  I bought it as a 2" frag and it has grown pretty quickly for me (see current pic attached).  If you are interested, I could trade a frag of it to you for a frag of your ORA green birdsnest.  If not, I am planning to buy a frag of your green one eventually when you are selling them.  I am just up the road from you in New Market, so only about a 10 minute drive.

Ron

post-2633589-0-04090500-1383410621_thumb.jpg

Neto,

I have a pink birdsnest that I have had for almost a year and it has kept its pink color.  I bought it as a 2" frag and it has grown pretty quickly for me (see current pic attached).  If you are interested, I could trade a frag of it to you for a frag of your ORA green birdsnest.  If not, I am planning to buy a frag of your green one eventually when you are selling them.  I am just up the road from you in New Market, so only about a 10 minute drive.

Ron

cool thanks for the offer, will pm you.