Bare Bottom vs Sand vs DSB

bendeng

Opinions? Experience? Preferences?

Pics would be nice as well :)

I'm thinking I want a small black sandbed in my 20xH but would like to hear from you guys what your thoughts are on substrate or no substrate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well I am not a super expert, but I had to make the same decision six months ago. I went with shallow sand bed with tropic eden mreef flakes. I wish I had gone just a bit finer with miniflakes. Or else I wish I had done a fake sand bed with white cutting board, epoxy, and sand. Copps had good points about detritus building up. I moved a small rock the other day and it was all brown doodoo under it.

I went with sand because I wanted a natural look and wanted things that could dig in the sand like nassarius snails and conchs. Bare bottom looks unnatural a bit, but it sure would be easy to get algae and crud off the bottom. Seems like cutting board with sand glued to it is pretty much best of both worlds aside from no nassarius snails.

Barebottom All the way! I just silicone White Starboard in the bottom now. In the past I just put the rocks on the glass. Either one gets covered in coraline algae and looks awesome!

Couple of my past tanks that were BB.

DSC_0036Web.jpg
DSC_0021cropweb.jpg
DSC_0022web.jpg
PinkYellowweb.jpg
DSC_0038retweb.jpg
DSC_0319web.jpg
DSC_0023web-1.jpg
DSC_0185web.jpg
DSC_0012web.jpg
DSC_0067web.jpg
DSC_0073web.jpg
DSC_0048web-1.jpg
CHR_0001web.jpg
CHR_0001a.jpg
CHR_1399web.jpg
CHR_1801web.jpg
CHR_1802web.jpg
CHR_1803web.jpg
CHR_4933web.jpg
CHR_4937web.jpg
CHR_4941web.jpg

I went with 40lbs of fiji pink in a 150. It shows the glass in some places from the flow, but allows for me to keep my mealarus, nassarius, and a starfish. I am happy with my decision.

Ok, or barebottom, that tank looks amazing, Gadgets. I have to get out there sometime soon.

Wow, that's gorgeous Gadgets!

I don't mind the maintenance and like the look of sand. But love these success stories on other options :)

If you go SPS bare bottom is nice b/c you can blast lots of flow without worry for sandstorms.  If you are going softies sand is nice b/c it looks more natural.  Depending on fish list that may influence your decision as well because some wrasses sleep in the sand, and some gobies dig around.  

It's all personal preference. 

once you have no sand its night and day difference....

i went with just bare bottom as i dont mind the look...granted i did paint the outside bottom of the tank white (amazing how much more light it reflects vs unpainted

so much easier to control nutrient export...just syphon what you can reach and use a power head and blow it up into the water column

keep in mind the fish you want....some fish ..mainly wrasse's should have a sand bad to sleep/hide in....may not be necessary but they do like it (ive put a piece of tupperware with some sand in it for a wrasse before and he went right for it)

but as others have said its more of personal preferance

I have a bare bottom mixed reef in an 85 gallon that started as a deep (4") sandbed. I couldn't be happier. I have two variable speed Tunze 6095's that do a constant wave with random bursts and flushes to keep the poop and junk in the water colum. I do an 8 gallon water change every weekend. With the sandbed, i used to have to blow the rocks off with a turkey baster to get the junk off of them. With the Tunze's and bare bottom, I only do that every month or so.

It seems bare is easiest maintenance. Cleaner. But I can't help but love the look of natural sand. Maybe some sort of sand glued to a board? I think someone mentioned this sort of idea somewhere.

In post #3 of this very thread, in fact.  If you search for "starboard" or cutting board on WAMAS forums you will see some good examples.  I think OldReefer has an awesome tank with cutting board bottom.

1-2" of caribsea special grade or tropic Eden reef flakes. I have a 90 gallon with a wp40 and wp25 at full blast and no sand storms. Sand looks nicer and my yasha goby, pistol shrimp, and fairy wrasses like the sand.

--

Warren

1-2" of caribsea special grade or tropic Eden reef flakes. I have a 90 gallon with a wp40 and wp25 at full blast and no sand storms. Sand looks nicer and my yasha goby, pistol shrimp, and fairy wrasses like the sand.

--

Warren

+1 to the caribsea special grade..It's courser making it easier for maintenance in that you don't loose a lot, if at all, when siphoning the detritus out of your sandbed. Goby and pistol love it too. I agree BB is the best but I prefer the aesthetics of sand and want livestock that prefer it too.