Fun with electricity

HgrReefs

You know what's fun? Sticking your hand in your frag tank not realizing the maxi-jet you have running your Phosban reactor, is leaking current in the tank. You know what makes it even more fun? Make sure you are holding an open container of pellets that you intend on feeding the crabs and such. Saltwater + Electricity=FUN!

You know what's fun? Sticking your hand in your frag tank not realizing the maxi-jet you have running your Phosban reactor, is leaking current in the tank. You know what makes it even more fun? Make sure you are holding an open container of pellets that you intend on feeding the crabs and such. Saltwater + Electricity=FUN!

:laugh: Glad that you're around to write this!

:laugh: Glad that you're around to write this!

Me too!! Not really sure how I could be so stupid! Wear rubber soled shoes when working on your tank folks! That said, I will now go about heeding my own advice.

Rubber soled shoes aren't going to cut it in all circumstances. More like install a GFI and ground probe to save your life! Rubber soled shoes are optional :)

sir, I am giving you a hearty thumbs up! I have gfi's on all my tanks...except...the frag tank. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

I was testing a pump out the other day, and got a pretty hefty zap, actually burned my hand.. first time that's happened. Glad you're alright, and lesson learned.

I was testing a pump out the other day, and got a pretty hefty zap, actually burned my hand.. first time that's happened. Glad you're alright, and lesson learned.

glad you made it through to! This one grabbed me pretty good. I figured I would post the topic just as a little reminder to those out there that get a little lax in their protocols, like myself... :)

So glad you are ok. Dangerous hobby. Any of the fish get zapped or show signs of stress?

appreciate it! Fish and corals were all fine. Guess they were similar to those guys that work on high tension power lines, they just became part of the circuit and it didn't phase them a bit. Good times were had by all of us!

I think the Shockbuster is a "latching" GFCI which means when power is turned off and then turned back on the unit will remain off until you push the reset button. When adding these GFCI units make sure it is the "non-latching" type so it will remain on when power is restored.

I think the Shockbuster is a "latching" GFCI which means when power is turned off and then turned back on the unit will remain off until you push the reset button. When adding these GFCI units make sure it is the "nonlatching" type so it will remain on when power is restored.

Can you provide a link to a "nonlatiching" type.  I use http://www.lowes.com/pd_145277-33536-30338062_0__?productId=1135927&Ntt=gfci+extension+cord&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgfci%2Bextension%2Bcord&facetInfo= this one, and seems like I should swap it out...

Thank you

I'm glad you're ok!

Would a grounding probe potentially have lessened the amount of current you received? I'm thinking I would have provided a path of least resistance for the electricity, but I am not sure.

That one might be an automatic reset type, you'll have to check. If you unplug it and then plug it back in do you then have to manually reset it or does it automatically reset and stay on?

Just look for models that say "automatic reset" and you should be fine. Here are two examples.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tower-Manufacturing-Corporation-2-ft-In-Line-GFCI-Triple-Tap-Cord-Automatic-Reset-30338024/202510257

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tower_Inline_GFCI_Cord_Set_with_Single_Connector_%2818_inch%29_GFCI_Extension_Cords_Grounding_Probes_Surge_Protectors_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Tower_Manufacturing-TW38018-FIMIGF-vi.html

If you only have loads that are two wires, no ground prong, then what I do is use the GFCI off of a cheap hair dryer. See this thread for more info.

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/59766-currently-have-a-ground-probe-on-outlet-do-i-still-need-to-upgrade-it-to-gfci/?hl=gfci

Would a grounding probe potentially have lessened the amount of current you received? I'm thinking I would have provided a path of least resistance for the electricity, but I am not sure.

Depending on the situation, but most likely yes a grounding probe would have helped. Now if say a light over the tank had an issue and one hand was in the tank that was grounded by a probe and the other hand touched the light it would flow through him to the grounded tank. That's a bad situation as it flows across the heart then.

It appears everyone is taking a hard look at their systems (including myself). Exactly the type of conversation I was hoping to spark by sharing my mishap. Thanks for all the info Coral Hind! Good stuff!!