ricordia yuma meltdown any ideas?????

pizzaguy

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening. I have a full blown mixed reef with a little of everything. A lot of lps, sps, and Zoas. I put in 15 ricordia Yuma and had 2 in the tank for 6 months doing very good prior to adding the 15. All 15 have melted away and the 2 that were in the tank for a while are melting away also. Everything else in the tank is doing good.

All parameters good except for calcium was a little high at 510 but is down now and nitrates are around 20. 0 phosphates per Hanna checker.Alk 7.8 mg. 1350

Did they have a brown jelly look to them as they were melting? Were they all near the same spot? Could have been a bacterial infection refered to as Brown Jelly Syndrome (BJS). One of the new ricordia might have gotten damaged which allowed the BJS ciliate to get a foot hold and multiply. As soon as you see a sign of BJS you should do a dip in iodine. I have also used Cipro and Doxycycline which worked.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening. I have a full blown mixed reef with a little of everything. A lot of lps, sps, and Zoas. I put in 15 ricordia Yuma and had 2 in the tank for 6 months doing very good prior to adding the 15. All 15 have melted away and the 2 that were in the tank for a while are melting away also. Everything else in the tank is doing good.

All parameters good except for calcium was a little high at 510 but is down now and nitrates are around 20. 0 phosphates per Hanna checker.Alk 7.8 mg. 1350

Are these from the ERC group buy by any chance?

Following along, since I also had a yuma melt away last week after having it for about 2 or 3 weeks (from ERC, not part of group buy).  I thought it was because i didn't acclimate it to my LEDs slowly enough or because I didn't target feed it since everything else is doing great.  I did dips in CoralRx and Melafix, but no Iodine and I didn't notice any brown jelly (although wasn't really looking for it either).  

How did it look before melting away, did it lose color or shrink really small? That would be a sign of too much light.

Started after a week or so.  Not much loss of color (at least until its final day or 2), but did shrink, eventually really small.  I did move it to a shadier spot, but it was already past the point of no return. 

ricordias are fairly hardy though they like dirtier water...was anyone by chance been running GFO or another nitrate or phosphate reducer? I have noticed when I added chemipure they have a tendency to shrink..

I have never target fed ricorida or other mushrooms...

I have several gigantic shrooms and ricordia in my tank, but that last batch of yuma/ricordia from the group buy literally just shriveled up. I think out of the 6, MAYBE 2 are going to make it. I moved the 4 not dissolved ones to my frag tank,  but I fear it was too late for all but 2 and probably too late for the 2 that are hanging on.

I have heard that the Yumas are much more sensitive to water temperature and need to be kept in tanks that run cooler than what we typically keep them at. 75 degrees.

The 5 that I bought from the GB are all gone.  They did well the first 2 weeks in moderate flow, moderate light.  They were expanding and growing under the LED fixture but when I saw them going downhill, I moved them to a moderate flow, low light area and they just crashed.  So they are all gone. :(  This is the 2nd time i've tried to keep Rics.  I guess it's just not meant to be.

I have heard that the Yumas are much more sensitive to water temperature and need to be kept in tanks that run cooler than what we typically keep them at. 75 degrees.

that's very interesting rob...I run my tank around 76 normally...

Sounds like there is a common trend here.... How long did ERC have them before you all got them.? I would be talking to them, as more than one person is having an issue. Also, I thought the GB was for Florida Rics, not yumas.?  Things to consider, rics dont like super bright light, they dont like lots of flow and they do like dirtier water... 

Lol, so ric = anti-SPS.

No... But certain corals dont do nearly as well in the ideal SPS system. SPS prefer to have a ULNS and high flow, LPS /Softies dont like the flow and like it a little bit dirtier. Many people keep fully mixed reefs with great success..  Personally the issue seems to be the rics themselves... When several people who all got them at the same time from the same place would lead me to believe thats the origin of your problems. Who knows what there transport was like, how long they sat in a bag/box etc...  I just find it strange that with all those similar factors its anything other than that batch of rics.

Edited by trockafella

I would definitely say it was the jelly disease coral hind was referring to.

Rics hate LED was my experience.  They are easy corals if kept under PC's or like a 150w halide ime.

I have had them melt under diy leds' in the past.

Yeah I have mine in the corner away from the light, doing just fine, actually noticed a baby one growing..

Rics hate LED was my experience.  They are easy corals if kept under PC's or like a 150w halide ime.

I have had them melt under diy leds' in the past.

I've got about 35 under LEDs for over a year...no problems...

Another reason you're a good vendor.!!!! Good for you.!

+2

I can't say enough about erc. Never had an issue there and doubt I ever will. Richard is a stand up guy. This is by no means his fault I was trying to figure out if I was doing something wrong. That's all.