Testing Equipment

bendeng

What test kit or tools would you most recommend?

All I have so far is a cheap hydrometer. I want/need something to test my water parameters and was wondering what yall like best:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Invest in a refractometer, much more accurate, and even easier to use than the hydrometers.

+1 This is important.  

As for the rest, it's funny, because I was just talking about this with someone.  Honestly, except for the Hanna Checkers, I think they all really suck and can be easily misread.  For the most part, once your tank has cycled, you really shouldn't need to be testing for Ammonia or Nitrite (at least I don't).  I currently have the following:

Nitrate: API but I hate it and have a Red Sea Pro Kit on the way.  Haven't used the Red Sea kit yet, but I'm sure it'll be better than the API.

Phosphate: API but I also have I special digital meter that cost about $200 but I got it from my work.

pH: API and other than Ammonia and Nitrite, this is the only API kit I'm ok with.  I've tested it against my expensive pool equipment and it is accurate.

Calcium: Red Sea

Alkalinity: Red Sea

Magnesium: Red Sea

I'm considering switching over to the Hanna Checkers soon for as many as I can.

Refractometer: Milwaukee Digital Seawater Refractometer

Calcium: Red Sea

Alkalinity: Red Sea

Magnesium: Red Sea

Nitrate: Red Sea

Phosphate: Red Sea

The Red Sea stuff is great, API will cost less and is OK in a pinch, but once you switch to RS you will ditch your API

Ammonia: Salifert

I have heard some good things about the Hanna Checker digital test but haven't made the leap yet, maybe someone will chime in who has experience with them.

I use the following:

Elos for Ca

Salifert for Ak

Salifert for Nitrates

Salifert for Magnesium

Hanna for PO4

I just got a good deal on used Hanna Ca and Ak testers. I'm hoping they work well and I can get away from color changing kits.

Red Sea for cal alk mag nitrate and phosphate

I want to get the hanna for phosphorous and alk

Whats up with the calcium one? I always see it out of stock and back ordered...

I saw too they have a nitrate tester anyone ever try it?

choose your testing poison, lots of recommendations here...

just get calibration fluid for your refractometer to verify it. I know they say just use distilled or RO, don't trust.

Wow, lots of suggestions! Here I was gonna just buy the all in one kit...

If you want the all in one kit, the closest you will find is the Red Sea Reef Foundation (kh, Ca and Mg) and Red Sea Algae Control (Nitrate and Phosphates) kits. Since they bundle them, the prices are cheaper than buying individually, as you only get one set of equipment per box and if you run out of something, the refills are much cheaper than buying a full test. You may want to get the API for beginning testing to see nitrite and ammonia, but you'll hardly ever use them again (except for ph maybe) once you're cycled, provided something awful didn't happen to your tank.

I use this

Calcium - API

Alk - API

Nitrates - API

Magnesium - Salifert

Phosphates - Hanna

Salinity - Refractometer (recently replaced my hydrometer due to .05 measurement difference)

Come to the meeting! Premium Aquatics just donated a few hanna checkers to the raffle because i told them you were discussing this here. See, people listen.

Come to the meeting! Premium Aquatics just donated a few hanna checkers to the raffle because i told them you were discussing this here. See, people listen.

Doug, you should see if they can donate (or get for donation) a few Hanna calibration standards for the Checkers as well. As in other threads, if you don't have confidence in the testing device, then it's not worth much.

I've used nearly all of the test kits on the market and can honestly say that if you want REAL accurate results, you would use LaMotte, Hach, Salifert, Hanna in that order. However with that being said, I use API dip strips on nearly all of the maintenance tanks except reef.

Hydrometers are good for about 6 months of constant use and refractometers need to be calibrated about every 6 months.

Ill definitely be at the meeting :)

pH, nitrate, ammonia is enough to get by for a brand new tank with no sps corals. If you want to work proactively to prevent algae check Phoshate if you aren't worried about algae then don't worry about it. If you get into SPS or LPS corals then you need to start buying the calcium, Alk and mag. Someone please correct me I'm always wrong on here. All I know is that before starting crazy cool corals the pH ammonia and nitrate was enough for me to get by. Ammonia is #1 killer of fish in new tanks so I think that's important.

So I should be ok to start with one of those API Master Test kits right? Then creep into the specific tests for each parameter when I get my cool corals :) ?

Yup! thats what I used to get started (and still use)  I think the fish need alk, mag, calcium in the water but dont consume it. But most salts come with that pre mixed at the right proportion. . If you have little or no consumption from a few tiny corals or no corals at all then I dont see a need to test it because levels will remain the same

Alkalinity helps avoid ph fluctuating (lowering) by buffering. In short, total alkalinity is a measure of how much acid it takes to lower the pH. To dumb it down even more.... if your pH keeps dropping to a low level, do a water change then invest in a alkalinity test kit and raise alkalinity to keep the pH from lowering too low all the time. I dont have alkalinity problems now that I dose kalkwasser for calcium and alkalinity for the corals.  The fish tolerate the lower pH and alkalinity better than the corals.