Bendeng's 20g xH (First SW Build)

bendeng

Hello all! First of all, this is my first build thread and my first personal SW build. I've done immense research over the last decade of my life and well, I've always been scared to dive in because of financial availability (and its like Pringles, once you pop you just can't stop).

After convincing my bf to use his 46g bowfront and start a SW tank (which was just collecting dust in his basement) and sharing with him was info I had gather, he set up a pretty awesome tank for a noob. I personally funded most of it and it made me feel more confident to start my own.

While looking for the perfect tank to fit in my tiny room I went to check out QR, where I met Vince. Right in the front walkway were a stack of these: http://www.jetpetsupplies.com/product_info.php/tank-black-20x10x24-20xh-p-5250 Snagged one for $60 :):):)

*cue angels singing*

Small footprint but still a decent size for me. Yay!!!

Ok, so far I have the DT, a 10g which I got at Pet Supplies Plus during the $1pg sale. Bought a sheet of Plexiglas from lowes and had it cut to size for $2 and ordered some equipment. Bought some LR off of Craigslist at $2/lb. It was covered in bubble algae so I stuck it in a plastic tub and doused it with bleach and water after scrubbing a majority of the BA off. Changed the water twice (more bleach) and after a week of soaking I found a nice sunny day to lay them all out to dry. Now, the LR is back in the tub with a powerhead running and I poured some Purple Up in there for good measure :)

I will post photos of the sump and DT this weekend.

I've got an SCA skimmer on order and I have a chinese 120w LED fixture.

Not sure as far as stock list goes. I wish I had room for a bigger tank because I'd love to just get everything haha. If anyone has any recommendations, that'd be great. I would really love to have a clam (maxima or crocea) and as far as corals go Im gonna invest in some nice stuff (super bright colors :D) but haven't decided on specifics. I would love a little bit of everything but I know I'm limited...

Things still considering:

-A chiller or a diy chiller of some sort. My room gets tropical rainforest hot all year long.

-Controller. I'm really into DIYs and I recently stumbled upon some arduino controller threads on other forums.

-???

Next step:

Monday, drill and plumb DT. Begin cycling if possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

You should look at the chiller paul b has made. From what I've read the chillers that use small fridges are not efficient. Paul's used evaporation which really is the best method IMO. :)

You should look at the chiller paul b has made. From what I've read the chillers that use small fridges are not efficient. Paul's used evaporation which really is the best method IMO. :)

Awesome! I'll check it out!

Controller - if you really are into the technical aspects of a controller, look up the Reef Angel which is Arduino-based, I believe.

Regarding a chiller: The simplest way to approach this is to put a fan over your sump to increase evaporation. Evaporative cooling is the physical principal. Paul's contraption increases the surface area for cooling with the panels. It's the same principal used in the evaporative coolers used on many office buildings. Keep in mind that it does increase evaporation and that water has to go somewhere. So the air conditioner in your house may work harder to get it out.

A conventional chiller will transfer heat from the tank to the coils, but if the unit is in your room, it will just heat up your room. Keep that in mind if you use that approach.

I'm not much of a believer in the value of purple up. It's nothing more than a calcium supplement with iodine, and expensive for what it is. For it to "purple up" your coralline algae, you first need to have coralline algae. These probably didn't survive the bleach dip process, but will re-establish later in your tank if the conditions are right. To supplement calcium, you can use calcium chloride (a pretty common ice melter). Most of us don't supplement iodine, but if we do, you can do so with a few drops of Lugol's solution. These are by far more economical than Purple Up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I would do a couple soaks in fresh water with dechlorinator to make sure you get rid of it all. Then dry it again, and do a saltwater soak. This worked well for my rock. No ill affects from the bleach at all.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I actually do plan on rinsing and drying again. If I throw a LR in the tub to seed along with all my dry rock, would that be better?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been advised that for my 20xH tank, I will need lots of flow. I would like to have as little equipment as possible in the display tank since its so small. I'm thinking of a Tunze Nanostream and one of them rocks to cover it near the bottom so it points kind of upwards. Idk. Suggestions?

That's an odd sized tank. Have you thought about using the returns as your powerheads? Maybe do a seahorse tank??

I suggested seahorse tank too, but her room is apparently really warm.

A small controllable nano stream on the bottom with one of those covers would be interesting. I would be really worried about it on the bottom if you were ever thinking about an anemone in it, though.

Two returns with a good pump may work too. If you had a powerful enough pump you could put an eductor on one of them to increase the total flow and even maybe a spinstream or whatever those rotating outputs are called on the other and get lots of flow and randomness from just one pump with no powerhead. This way you wouldnt ever need to worry about keeping a powerhead clean or it shredding any fish friends.

Yea that's a big fear of mine is fish swimming behind a powerhead and getting made into sashimi... seahorses I'd consider once I can figure out a way to chill the tank during warmer weather. I've noticed on these colder nights if I keep my leds at low intensity, the temp drops to 74º... and up to 79º on high intensity

You could also drill the tank in each corner on the upper back pane and put in a SCWD on a return pump like Alan suggested.  This would give you some random current with no powerheads.  Or you could even come over the top without having to drill the tank. 

Don't worry about the sashimi factor........anything powerful enough to grind a fish would blow the water right out of your tank!  lol

Posted Image

Sump is ready to go :)

10g with acrylic baffles. SCA-301 skimmer and a Mag Drive 5 return pump :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

(edited)

OH also, I am heavily considering seahorses for this tank set up. I'm having difficulty finding reliable seahorse breeders. Anyone have experience, wanna throw some tips/advice my way? I will be looking into DIY chillers like the evaporative system that was posted earlier in this thread so the temperature will stay cool enough for them."

Current concerns:

-I still want a pair of clowns and an anemone. Compatibility with seahorses? nvm, apparently not compatible at all. boo. back to the drawing board.

I will begin some research as well but I always love to hear y'alls opinions  :happy:

Edited by bendeng

OH also, I am heavily considering seahorses for this tank set up. I'm having difficulty finding reliable seahorse breeders. Anyone have experience, wanna throw some tips/advice my way? I will be looking into DIY chillers like the evaporative system that was posted earlier in this thread so the temperature will stay cool enough for them."

Current concerns:-I still want a pair of clowns and an anemone. Compatibility with seahorses? nvm, apparently not compatible at all. boo. back to the drawing board.

I will begin some research as well but I always love to hear y'alls opinions  :happy:

Everyone on the reef central seahorse forums and the folks at seahorse.org swears by http://www.seahorsesource.com/

Your tank is really coming along nicely! I can't wait to see what you stock with. I saw the tanks at QR.

As for seahorses, it's easy to say that because of the height, but seahorses are 29 gallon minimum. That tank will need lots of active flow because it's so deep and, while seahorses need flow, they also need to be able to escape to a quieter part of the tank. I'm not sure that would work.

It would be cool if you could fit a tall rock wall and stock it with fish that are found there, barnacle bennies, wrasse, etc.

Here's the sump in action!

Looks great! But...

I would caution you in regard to keeping your sump directly by your outlet like that, I would move it if possible.

• 1 month later...

Just got the tank drilled!

1/2" supply 1" drain

magy9e2u.jpgpy7yguge.jpg

Thank you Vince for letting me use your drill at quantum!

Edited by Duke

Just got the tank drilled!1/2" supply 1" drain Posted ImagePosted ImageThank you Vince for letting me use your drill at quantum!

Yay! Thanks hun!! Can't wait to get this plumbed up :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2