So why aren't you guys talking about this here?

Origami

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/18/avast-marine-vibe-arr-reactors/

Avast Marine Vibe and ARR Reactors bring vibrator technology to reef tanks

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/18/avast-marine-vibe-arr-reactors/#ixzz2fMzUpEvz

9/25/13 UPDATE: Listed today on Avast's website, here.

Because they don't tell us anything. Never knew they where experimenting with this method. Use your old electric football field with a standard reactor for the same results. LOL  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Because they don't tell us anything.

Where's the love? :laugh:

I think that they just ought to give us that 25% off Booty Buy discount now just because...

Where's the love? :laugh:

I think that they just ought to give us that 25% off Booty Buy discount now just because...

+1

Well the plan is to have the first round of production available to wamas as part of the booty buy :)

Dan has been working hard on them all day.

I would love to see someone try one out with GFO, especially if they've had clumping problems in they past. I don't have any established/dirty GFO to try out.

I also plan to use one on a sealed kalk reactor, so it can be pumped uphill without the need for mixing pumps, which kalk tends to destroy.

sent from phone. please excuse brevity.

Well the plan is to have the first round of production available to wamas as part of the booty buy :)

I would love to see someone try one out with GFO, especially if they've had clumping problems in they past. I don't have any established/dirty GFO to try out.

I also plan to use one on a sealed kalk reactor, so it can be pumped uphill without the need for mixing pumps, which kalk tends to destroy.

I am in. LMK

GFO seems so brittle it seems like it would end up quickly vibrating into fines and heading out the output or clogging the sponges at the top of the reactor.

GFO seems so brittle it seems like it would end up quickly vibrating into fines and heading out the output or clogging the sponges at the top of the reactor.

Not really.  When you see how this moves the media (and only for 30 seconds to a minute twice a day) it will be clear that it won't grind the media to dust.  Sure, it you left it running 24/7 that might happen.  There is more risk of grinding up GFO & carbon if continuously fluidized too hard.  There is a tradeoff between correct flow rate through the media (typically, the slower the better) and having the media clump up due to not enough movement versus higher flow rate and disintegration of the media.  Detritus, calcium deposits, etc all combine to create clumping and channeling under low flow rates.  The Vibe eliminates that tradeoff and need for maintenance.

Also, it eliminates the need for sponges to contain media either at the top or bottom.  A biopellet nozzle on the end of the downtube is all you need to prevent backflow through the input.  The water will be evenly disbursed through the media even when not strongly fluidized.  When the Vibe activates, it will shift all the media around and dislodge biofilms, effectively "freshening" the media for better adsorption efficiency.

Nice.  I should take a video of the biopellet nozzle doing the MR5 full of biopellets now that they've been in for a while and are slippery.  They're tumbling like crazy.

when will we know if this indeed happens? i'd like to make my commitment to the total for the booty buy if these are available as i think it's the one thing left i need to get from you folks.

Here (raises hand). It's hard to find a balance sometimes between tumbling (and risking abrading the pellets) and having them fuse into a porous block. Instead, I find myself tipping the reactor and hitting it on the side to break it up, turning up the flow to "blow it out," opening the reactor and plunging a pvc pipe in the media to break it up, etc.. Sometimes combining it with some carbon can be a solution, but the two exhaust at different rates typically and one might abrade the other.

when will we know if this indeed happens? i'd like to make my commitment to the total for the booty buy if these are available as i think it's the one thing left i need to get from you folks.

It will certainly happen.  Dan is just about finished with the first round.  We need to get pictures, manual, website content, etc done.  But they will be available for the booty buy.  Also will figure out pricing too.

Here (raises hand). It's hard to find a balance sometimes between tumbling (and risking abrading the pellets) and having them fuse into a porous block. Instead, I find myself tipping the reactor and hitting it on the side to break it up, turning up the flow to "blow it out," opening the reactor and plunging a pvc pipe in the media to break it up, etc.. Sometimes combining it with some carbon can be a solution, but the two exhaust at different rates typically and one might abrade the other.

Yes, exactly what this will prevent.  I hate when that happens.  Dan used it on carbon and it kept it perfectly fluid.

So this will let you run slower flow through the reactor and still keep the pellets of your media from fusing into a block once a bio film grows on all of the surfaces?  Does it retro-fit onto existing MR-line reactors?

I don't know what frequency you're using, but if it's ultrasonic you might look into what freq and intensity will damage fingers that go in the water.  I know in jewelry-making when you're using an ultrasonic cleaner there are warning labels that tell you to use tongs to get the pieces out of the bath if it's running rather than sticking your fingers in there because of the risk of nerve damage.  Not sure how realistic of a risk it is, but that's what the label said.

Edited by AlanM

Me too! My GFO gets clumped up fast!

Love hearing about new AMW products here first!

Thanks,

Matt

Because they don't tell us anything. Never knew they where experimenting with this method. Use your old electric football field with a standard reactor for the same results. LOL  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Geeeez, tough crowd!

We have kept this under wraps for a while since a good portion of the industry looks at what we do as a means of their own R&D.  Plus we had to plan, test, source, test blah blah blah before we could say we were ready and then had to actually build a small production run before we could accurately price it, then test it again.  Plus, we have to allow a pretty long time to think up all these clever names, you try it, it ain't easy  :tongue:

Geeeez, tough crowd!

We have kept this under wraps for a while since a good portion of the industry looks at what we do as a means of their own R&D.  Plus we had to plan, test, source, test blah blah blah before we could say we were ready and then had to actually build a small production run before we could accurately price it, then test it again.  Plus, we have to allow a pretty long time to think up all these clever names, you try it, it ain't easy  :tongue:

You're forgiven. Love the innovation that comes out of Avast.

Now go put these on the website where we can find them for the Booty Buy.

So this will let you run slower flow through the reactor and still keep the pellets of your media from fusing into a block once a bio film grows on all of the surfaces?  Does it retro-fit onto existing MR-line reactors?

I don't know what frequency you're using, but if it's ultrasonic you might look into what freq and intensity will damage fingers that go in the water.  I know in jewelry-making when you're using an ultrasonic cleaner there are warning labels that tell you to use tongs to get the pieces out of the bath if it's running rather than sticking your fingers in there because of the risk of nerve damage.  Not sure how realistic of a risk it is, but that's what the label said.

I don't want to say the exact frequency we are using as it is one of those silly "trade secrets" but we are pretty substantially out of the ultrasonic range and there is zero risk associated with using the device.  If you need a more accurate description feel free to PM me and I can disclose more.

As for retrofit options, yes.  Not today but withing the next few months it will be an option.

You're forgiven. Love the innovation that comes out of Avast.

Now go put these on the website where we can find them for the Booty Buy.

Your talking to the wrong Captain :)  He is working on it though.....

Your talking to the wrong Captain :)  He is working on it though.....

Aarrrgh. Oh, wait, that was two days ago...