Avast Power Buy

DCReefer1964

How about a fastest skimmer build contest?

Ha. I know somebody who's built a lot of their skimmers... and even modified a few. :ph34r:

Hardest part for me was getting the cone sealed up, but it got easier the more weldon I used. 8). I did do the slight mod on the effluent pipe bottom piece that Rob showed me to get it to sit closer in to the skimmer along the Sicce pump.

Oh, the other hard part was accidentally using the bubble chamber pvc in the collection cup. They are the same diameter, but one is longer. Doh!

Mine is now pulling out goop officially.

What else should I buy from Avast?  I want to get in on this, but I already almost have a sump full of equipment with Avast stickers:

2 MR5

1 CS1 Skimmer

1 Swabbie

1 Skimmate locker

1 Deluxe ATO

I'd basically decided to do 2 part dosing for the LPS I have planned rather than a calcium reactor, so the seabones thing is kind of out.  The kalk stirrer looks nice, but also redundant if I'm doing 2 part.

Let's see... biopellet reactor and biopellets, dosing barrels for your two-part, dosing tube holder for those two-part tubes,  top-down porthole for all of those pictures that you're going to be taking, or maybe a probe holder for your pH and other probes.

Here's their product list on one page.

Let's see... biopellet reactor and biopellets, dosing barrels for your two-part, dosing tube holder for those two-part tubes,  top-down porthole for all of those pictures that you're going to be taking, or maybe a probe holder for your pH and other probes.

think those magnetic tube holders and dosing holders will hold on a 100 G rubbermaid?

Edited by sachabballi reef

think those magnetic tube holders and dosing holders will hold on a 100 G rubbermaid?

Yes, they do. I use them on mine.

Nice.  Dosing barrels look nice for sure.  Those are a good possibility.  I have a tube holder from them for my apex probes and DI water, but it would be nice for dosing tubes once I start dosing. 

I already have the nozzle for the new, taller MR5 to turn it into a biopellet reactor and am using their ATB biopellets in it.  Strangely, they were real sticky and just rose in a big lump until I tilted the reactor to the side.  Now they tumble nicely.  The biopellets feed into the skimmer which drains into the locker. 

The smaller, older MR5 I have with some aluminum oxide phosphate beads in it that I had laying around, phosguard or something like that.  I'll put GFO and carbon in it eventually or maybe fill it with filter floss and carbon and drip teensy drops of LaCl3 into it.

I think that some people soak their biopellets for a day or two before putting them in the reactor. I did like you did, though, just turned the reactor up on it's side and gave it a few taps to get the beads separated.