New here aqueon 8G

Joshifer

Hi all josh here. For years I kept freshwater I decided to jump in the saltwater world.

I currently have an aqueon evolve 8 I upgraded the return pump from 92 to 200gph.

I also have an aqueon fully submersible filter hidden behind my live rock roughly 12lbs)

Heater and air stone in back compartment. Using carbon stock carbon pad.

I setup a few days ago using natures ocean live water arag alive wet live sand a whole bottle of bio spira and the 12lbs of fully cured live rock. I dosed a little prime to be sure to neutralize any rock die off.

As my LFS (petland) said that was pretty much an insta cycle. I purchased a oscerillis clown. Juvinile.

What is my options on a CUC?. I don't want anything expensive that can die. And I heard snails need to be turned over I don't wanna stick my hands in there every 20 mins lol. I need something cheap and hardy. My life rock has alot of white feather dusters in them I kind like them so what won't eat them? (Their not aptasia I compared the two) thanks.

I'm not sure they were right about the insta cycle, but sounds like you got good rock and a lot of it. 

Not all snails need to be turned back over.  How about a few ceriths and a couple nassarius?  Ceriths for glass and nassarius for sandbed.  And a teensy hermit crab or two.

Also, you can probably just use a chopstick to turn them back over if they get stuck upside down.  You don't need to stick your hand in.

Also, you can probably just use a chopstick to turn them back over if they get stuck upside down.  You don't need to stick your hand in.

I'm comfortable sticking my hand in freshwater. Salt water not so much cus theirs all kinda freaky living in it lol

I'm not sure they were right about the insta cycle, but sounds like you got good rock and a lot of it. 

Not all snails need to be turned back over.  How about a few ceriths and a couple nassarius?  Ceriths for glass and nassarius for sandbed.  And a teensy hermit crab or two.

Yeah totally great rock. Fiji. So far I found some star fish. A clam I thought was dead then it stuck its snorkel out. Everyday I find new critters. I really want the red feather dusters. And some hermits. Do clean up crew add to the bioload? Totally new here

I'm comfortable sticking my hand in freshwater. Salt water not so much cus theirs all kinda freaky living in it lol

ok lesson number one...get over this ^^^^^^^^^^

Clean up crew (excluding crabs) don't increase your load any noticeable bit...and I love feathers dusters too...you will need to wait a long while before adding one of those...they are a but more finicky than what you have going on right now...

If you want a really good customized clean up crew you should send John at reefcleaners.org an email. He will come up with an amazing cleanup crew that fits your tank size, stocking, and preference. And the amazing thing is, the customization is FREE! Plus his prices are very reasonable. It's the only place I get things like snails, macro algae, or hermits.

ok lesson number one...get over this ^^^^^^^^^^

Meh...until you have an experience that makes you very aware that you need to at least be cautious. :) As you get to know your tank you will feel more comfortable with what's in it.

Invest in a 100 count box of powder free nitrile gloves and some of the long heavy duty ones. And chopsticks.

I agree with ceriths and nassarius, maybe trochus or nerite. You can always add more later if they aren't keeping up. They all have different specialties and there is tons of info on the internet. I am partial to scarlet hermits. You could also add pom pom crabs and sexy crabs to a tank that size.

Have fun and welcome! I love my pico tank! They aren't nearly as scary as they are made out to be.

Ummm no if you won't put your hand in an EMPTY tank for snails you need to get used to it or start a bonsai tree hobby.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Or goats right rib?

Jenn's phone posts are so avant garde.  They have a conceptual art quality to them.

To the OP.  I don't know if the fish store told you, but you have to be on top of water quality in a nano.  It can go south quickly when feeding a fish in there.  You'll need to do more water changes proportionally than someone with a larger tank because of things you lack like skimmers and such.  Also, the salinity can rise quickly, so top off with distilled or deionized water frequently.  Hopefully when they sold you the tank, rock, bacteria, sand and fish they also sold you a good set of test kits.

Good luck on the clean up crew. Maybe you could pick up a few ceriths or astrea. Nassarius are carnivores and are better to help clean up or scavenge meaty scraps from the bottom.

Acclimate snails very slowly. Read up on this.

There are lots of bugs (bacteria) in both fresh and saltwater. Glove up if you like. I remember very well lutz123's experience with flatworm toxins after using a dewormer product a couple of years ago.

Sent from my phone

I heard snails need to be turned over I don't wanna stick my hands in there every 20 mins lol. I need something cheap and hardy.

Find a member on here that has some stomatella snails. They normally come in free as hitchhikers and to me are the best snail type out there. I love them because they can turn themselves over. They will not bother your feather dusters. You should buy a pair of gloves like these if you don't want to get your hands wet.

Jenn's phone posts are so avant garde. They have a conceptual art quality to them.

This had me laughing pretty hard.

That being said, I am usually moving things around all the time with my hands. They make long tongs, and grabbers, or elbow deep gloves. I have tongs, they stay pretty dry.

+1 on the stomatella, especially in a pico. I had them in 2 of my previous tanks and they were my favorites. As a matter of fact I was planning on posting to see if I could get a few for the tanks I have now.

This had me laughing pretty hard.

That being said, I am usually moving things around all the time with my hands. They make long tongs, and grabbers, or elbow deep gloves. I have tongs, they stay pretty dry.

To be fair Tom is talking about eating utensils in his. ..

To be fair Tom is talking about eating utensils in his. ..

True, those flatware toxins are nasty.

Ummm no if you won't put your hand in an EMPTY tank for snails you need to get used to it or start a bonsai tree hobby. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I don't know what's in there yet I don't wanna get stung. I read a guide about hitch hikers alot of things have stingers and venom. So until I figure out what I got in there I don't really wanna touch anything. Everyday I find something new. Like these centipede looking things near the feather dusters I heard their spines get embedded in your skin.

Jenn's phone posts are so avant garde.  They have a conceptual art quality to them.

To the OP.  I don't know if the fish store told you, but you have to be on top of water quality in a nano.  It can go south quickly when feeding a fish in there.  You'll need to do more water changes proportionally than someone with a larger tank because of things you lack like skimmers and such.  Also, the salinity can rise quickly, so top off with distilled or deionized water frequently.  Hopefully when they sold you the tank, rock, bacteria, sand and fish they also sold you a good set of test kits.

Would you suggest a skimmer this early? I can get my hands on one I just read alot of people not using skimmers this early. Also my pet store does ro refills. Or pre mixed salt refills since its only 8 gallons. Actually less cus all the rock I don't need much a jug will last a while.

Find a member on here that has some stomatella snails. They normally come in free as hitchhikers and to me are the best snail type out there. I love them because they can turn themselves over. They will not bother your feather dusters. You should buy a pair of gloves like these if you don't want to get your hands wet.

Where would I post want ad at ?

I can water change with store bought distiller water ?

Meh...until you have an experience that makes you very aware that you need to at least be cautious. :) As you get to know your tank you will feel more comfortable with what's in it.

Invest in a 100 count box of powder free nitrile gloves and some of the long heavy duty ones. And chopsticks.

I agree with ceriths and nassarius, maybe trochus or nerite. You can always add more later if they aren't keeping up. They all have different specialties and there is tons of info on the internet. I am partial to scarlet hermits. You could also add pom pom crabs and sexy crabs to a tank that size.

Have fun and welcome! I love my pico tank! They aren't nearly as scary as they are made out to be.

I plan on upgrading to a much bigger tank once I get my hand in this.

My opinion is to hold off on a skimmer for an 8 gallon. You honestly should never need one. It's simple to keep the water quality up with regular water changes. I find filter floss (disposed of and replaced every few days) to be easy. Live rock and flow go a long way in a little tank. If you take it slow and enjoy you will have plenty of time to add or change as you find necessary. Don't ever add something until you need to.

The biggest challenges with picos/nanos is evaporation causing salinity to increase. I try to keep mine a little lower - 1.023 or 1.024 - so that if it does get a little high it's not as quick to reach the danger zone. Mark a line on your tank so that you always know where to add fresh ro/di water (not saltwater) for top offs. Interestingly, I find that my 16 gallon with a glass lid evaporates faster than my 3 gallon open top picotope. Go figure.

You don't have a need for an airstone, and the carbon pad will be a nitrate problem. (A little mesh bag of carbon can be added but may not be necessary except on occasion.). Test, test, test. Make sure those nitrates look good and steady for a period of time before you go crazy adding things. Then keep testing.

Have fun. Take your time. Be willing to make mistakes. Ask questions, but follow it up with your own research (NOT by asking your lfs assuming they know). Everyone in this hobby has an opinion about the best and only way to do things. :)