Ultra thin magic eraser cuts?????

steveoutlaw

I'm trying to figure out a way to the magic eraser pads ultra thin.......like 1-2mm thick.  I'm looking to use these with a mag-float to keep my tank clean.  Any ideas?

Maybe try one of those super strong magnets (hammer head or somtehing like that?) and just use a thicker magic eraser?

Find a willing willing deli with a slicer...haha. seriously though, doesn't kinkos have a paper cutter for print jobs you could pay to use

Just use a regular glass algae magnet on acrylic tanks and be careful. As long as you don't drive the magnet into the sand, you're not very likely to scratch the tank. If you do, you can polish it out easily.

Not enough of a reason to trade it in for glass.

If you end up getting the Hammerhead, or any of those other Algae Free magnets, they come with pads for Acrylic, I'm presuming that you already know that though.

That's a tough one, I've never seen one in person, so I don't know what the texture is like, a fine steel wool?

You could always go to the dollar store and get a couple of cheap temporary tattoos, and then have Jenn wear them down for you :rolleyes:

Is the magic eraser homogenous? In other words is the abrasive part NOT simply on the 6 outside surfaces? I wonder if the sliced surfaces are different...

If you end up getting the Hammerhead, or any of those other Algae Free magnets, they come with pads for Acrylic, I'm presuming that you already know that though.

That's a tough one, I've never seen one in person, so I don't know what the texture is like, a fine steel wool?

You could always go to the dollar store and get a couple of cheap temporary tattoos, and then have Jenn wear them down for you :rolleyes:

Hey I resemble that remark!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I like the deli slicer idea. I'm also very interested in this. Maybe try to wet one, then freeze it so it is firm enough to slice.

It's a good idea, but good luck finding a deli, or somebody with a slicer to let you do it!

The magic eraser is basically a plastic foam (melamine). Any sort of hot-wire cutting is likely to screw up the surface structure that you want to preserve for cleaning. Mechanical cutting is probably called for. I've tried cutting it in half lengthwise for magnet use. I would only cut it in half using a scalpel and use the flat factory machined surface for cleaning the tank panes. The other side (where my scalpel work was) was too uneven for my tastes, although it may work just fine under compression from the magnet. I never did try to find a way to get a really clean cut.

Maybe you could try a sharp fillet knife used to fillet fish. They typically have a long, thin sharp blade. Or try freezing it to see if it becomes easier to cut. Or give it a quick soak, squeezing out excess water, then freezing it.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.