I'm stumped

hawkfish01

Ive got an issue stumping me...I've got hair algae and cant figure out why xcept photo period was too long... Params are(this is where Im stumped!):

Ammonia:0

Nitrate:0

Nitrite:0

Phophate: very nearly zero

This was done with api tests(yes i know but all we have..moms gonna buy new salifert tests today,just doesnt know it!)

Feeding:3x week

Photoperiod:6-4pm(usually) need to get timer on light

Filter dumped every other change,running with purigen,chempure,phospate remover(clearmaxx)and filter pad(removes junk from water;meds,toxins,phosphate,etc)

HELP!!

Short of scrubbing(not really option)or siphoning Im stumped as to why this is happening... Thinking of a product by ultra life that goes into canister filter that gets rid of hair algae and sludge..any thoughts? See ya all at the social sunday!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hair algae is hiding your phosphate issue.  It will eat the phosphates as it grows, so you should start running some GFO and get some turbo's or maybe a foxface to eat the algae. 

The hair algae is hiding your phosphate issue. It will eat the phosphates as it grows, so you should start running some GFO and get some turbo's or maybe a foxface to eat the algae.

I think that tank is too small for a fox face.....

Good old fashioned hand pulling and husbandry and snails. Not chemicals or sludge removers is my recommendations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok ,gfo...can it b put in a media sock and put into a canister filter?? This is a 20 gal tank with no skimmer.. Live rock,2 circulation fans(biocube 500 and hydor 420)fluval 106 series filter.. Had to look up what gfo even was(lmao,duuuhhh)

Pulling is scrubbing is fine. There are also chems that work (Algaefix Marine) . But what's the source of the nutrients? What do you feed? How often do you change water? It's probably assumed, but if you scrub it off, then siphon it off as you do so. Otherwise it'll just reattach or decay, releasing nutrients and promoting algae elsewhere. The algae is cleaning your water. That's why your parameters are looking as good as they are when you test.

(Sent from my phone)

yes phosban is gfo, and you can run it in a sock.  I didnt realize the tank was so small, so I would just put 1-2 turbos into the tank and start pulling and scrubbing along with just a little bit of gfo.

Ok..I' ll do that..we picked up one turbo yesterday(small/med size) will try to pick some off..the gfo removes the "free" phospate and starves the algae I'm guessing???....yeah all our tanks r nanos..this is the only prob child right now thank goodness..the largest is my bro's 29... This algae issue came on suddenly,one day fine,next day hair algae farm!8o

(edited)

You said your feeding 3x per week. How much do u feed at a time and what kind of food is it? And how many fish are in the tank

Edited by epleeds

4small gobies..feed brine or mysis shrimp..feed amount gone in 2 mins or less(theyre fat little pigs!)everyone is in good flesh,so no ones starving...fed 2x daily,3x week.. Nothing appears to hit gravel...8/

Yeah, you need to get a handle on the real reason your having an issue and not just treat the symptoms....if you can figure out why you have so much HA and work on fixing it, then if you can't seem to knock it out use phosban or some other type of gfo....

You probably only need to feed one small feeding once a day... I think that can be a partial source of your problems....

I have a pico with 2 gobies and 3 shrimp....they get 8 pellets once a day and I end up with algae a lot in there too...so...2x a day is a lot....

Try a sea hare, it will mow it down with no problem. Skim wet and use a phosphate absorber while the sea hare is working to pull the waste out of the system.

I just read that this is a 20 gallon tank with no skimmer. What's the source of your change and top off water? Do you have much in the way of corals in the tank now? What is your water change regimen like? Have you ever measured your top off or change water for phosphates?

(edited)

I don't get involved in algae threads much because you won't like my answer. But, I would throw out all that Phosban, carbon, sea hares, ChemiPure, phosphate removers, filter pads, filter socks, underware, in other words, everything but the water. And by the way, stop changing the water.

(I told you you would not like my answer) Then wait a week or so and that algae should start to die as you said you have no nitrates, phosphates or anything else in the water. Hair algae is great for purifying water and all those expensive chemicals are not doing anything obviousely.

When the algae starts to die, you need to immediately suck it out before it rots and fuels more algae because all those chemicals you are testing for are locked up in the algae and if it dies in there, it will re grow. That is whats happening now, it is dying but you keep adding chemicals through those things you are adding and by changing water so it is still growing. The algae will die, then suck it out and you will break the cycle. With all the money you will save by not changing water and not adding all that stuff, you can go out to dinner and have a nice glass of merlot.

OK I am done, I don't want to argue with anyone because I know virtually everyone will tell you to change water and add snails, urchins, sea hares, manatees, zebra's, etc. Look at old threads and let me know how that worked out.

Have a great day, and good luck.

Edited by paul b

With all the money you will save by not changing water and not adding all that stuff, you can go out to dinner and have a nice glass of merlot.

Paul is NOT advocating underage drinking...poster needs to skip this part I believe  :tongue:

Paul is NOT advocating underage drinking...poster needs to skip this part I believe  :tongue:

Of course I don't know how old this person is. But if you are underage, just drink the water in your tank, the algae will start to grow on your head.

Of course I don't know how old this person is. But if you are underage, just drink the water in your tank, the algae will start to grow on your head.

have you tried this yet? would love to see you with green hair  :laugh:

Its live sand..argonite.. We change 3-4 gals every week. Top off and saltwater come from brk as i have no rodi unit and have VERY hard water..tank has lps and shrooms(i want to say 15-20 frags) and 2 smsll leathers..they all seem fine and r growing. I have never tested my brk water because ive never had a problem til now..phosban now in place.. Hope we can get this prob under control soon..

Dont sea hares nuke tanks if they croak or get harrassed??

That is said about many animals, never saw it happen but brk water may be your problem even though I have no idea what that is.

That is said about many animals, never saw it happen but brk water may be your problem even though I have no idea what that is.

Its a store in the area.

You can shoot john a message and ask him if he has had any issues lately and Im sure he can test for you,  But honestly I doubt their water is the problem.

BRK is a local vendor Blue Ribbon Koi. Since you have been so active on our boards lately you should stop in for the social they are having this weekend.