Protein skimmer cleaning

Djplus1

How often does everyone clean their protein skimmers? I pull my unit weekly with water change and hose spray the gunk out of the body and wipe the neck and collection cup. I vinegar everything about every 3 months.

I skim as dry as possible, and do once a week like you with water changes. Unless it stinks earlier. I clean in my sink with tap water, and let it dry.

Here is what my reef octopus directions say. Collection Cup: It should be cleaned at least once a week, depending on the organic load.

Cleaning will enhance the extraction substantially.

Reaction Chamber: Take apart skimmer and clean every 6 months recommended.

Pump: Take apart pump and clean every 4 months recommended. Use a vinegar/water

solution for cleaning off excess build up. The parts included with the pump are the venturi,

volute cover, pinwheel impeller, and shaft with 2 rubber grommets.

(edited)

i clean my collection cup and skimmer body once every 2-3 days which is when gunk starts building up on the neck. i dont use any chemicals, just use my fingers and running water, wipe dry.

Edited by jimlin

(edited)

The skimmer neck needs to be cleaned at least once a week. More is better. That is why neck cleaners like Swabbies are so popular. It makes a big difference.

The big strip-down and cleaning is only required when you start getting coralline and such building up in the reactor chamber.

Most skimmers will fit in a 5 gallon bucket with the pumps removed. So about two or three times a year, I will fill a bucket with about 3 gallons of water and 3 ounces of Muriatic acid (lifetime supply purchased from Lowes paint dept. for $15). I stick the skimmer in the bucket for an hour. I flip it over for an another hour, and then I hose it off and put it back in the sump.

It seems much easier than taking the thing apart. The game-changer for me was the Muriatic acid. You can make gallons of cleaning solution for pennies. It is much more effective than vinegar. Be careful with the stuff though....

Edited by OldReefer

I clean the collection cup and neck when needed - that is, typically weekly.

I hardly ever clean the body unless I feel it really needs it. Once a year if I'm feeling ambitious. Once every couple of years if the mood hits.... In reality, it stays pretty clean, though sometimes, if the intake is not filtered, you can get sediment settling in the bottom.

I run a swabbie so the neck stays pretty clean.  However, I try to take the cup off and clean completely about every 2 weeks, simply because skimmate collects on the top of lid and on the swabbie blade.  I think the higher dollar neck cleaners do a wash down and/or you can build your own but I haven't found the need.  I try to clean the pump once every 3 months or so.  

I don't think I've ever cleaned the body of my skimmer, but for the most part, I don't really see the need since it should stay pretty clean unless you have light and coralline grows. 

I clean the cup and neck every time I empty. Usually every other day. I clean the reaction chamber every 4 to 6 months. 

Is it bad to have coraline growth in the body really? What affect does it have?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The reaction tube comes off and I clean that maybe every 3 weeks, the body I think I cleaned in the 90s. I never opened the pump which is from the 90s also.  It drains into a 5 gallon bucket.

IMG_0460.jpg

The reaction tube comes off and I clean that maybe every 3 weeks, the body I think I cleaned in the 90s. I never opened the pump which is from the 90s also.  It drains into a 5 gallon bucket.

IMG_0460.jpg

wow, that thing looks crazy old. how much skimmate do you get with that?

how much skimmate do you get with that?

It depends on what is going on in the tank.  I used to have a sea urchin business and I collected sea urchins, I didn't have enough room for them so I put 24 of them in my tank, they all decided to spawn at the same time and that five gallon bucket overflowed about 10 gallons.  Now I have an auto shut off if it fills.

It depends on what is going on in the tank. I used to have a sea urchin business and I collected sea urchins, I didn't have enough room for them so I put 24 of them in my tank, they all decided to spawn at the same time and that five gallon bucket overflowed about 10 gallons. Now I have an auto shut off if it fills.

Lol I LOVE Paul stories.....you never know what innocent question will "spawn" one

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

My Cleaning schedule:

Every week (with water change),

- Clean bubble trap/mecahnical filters

- Scrub protein skimmer (the entire thing)

- Vacuum sump

Every 3-4 weeks (based upon how things are looking:

- Scrub all pumps (take them apart)

- Scrub all hoses & outputs that connect to pumps

- Scrub sump & vacuum

Every 2nd one of the big cleanings, I run my pumps in vinegar for about an hour.

I am a little mental about things in my tank being clean, particularly since I have a habit of over feeding every now & then.

Edited by netpez

Empty the cup every three or four days. Clean the whole skimmer every other month.

My Cleaning schedule:

Every week (with water change),

- Vacuum sump

Every 3-4 weeks (based upon how things are looking:

- Scrub all pumps (take them apart)

- Scrub all hoses & outputs that connect to pumps

- Scrub sump & vacuum

Every 2nd one of the big cleanings, I run my pumps in vinegar for about an hour.

I am a little mental about things in my tank being clean, particularly since I have a habit of over feeding every now & then.

you need to add another hobby to make you less anal of your hobby LOL

You are supposed to clean those things!? :P

once a week when I do all my other maintenance, fill top off tank, check two part levels, that sorta stuff.

I empty the cup every two or three days. I skim a little wet so I only need to wipe the neck out about once a month. About once a year, normally on a snow day I completely remove the skimmer and clean it out. I use that time to inspect the pumps and vinegar soak them if needed.

you need to add another hobby to make you less anal of your hobby LOL

LOL LOL LOL

I can not count how many times we have told him he cleans too much!

I clean my cup and neck every 2-3 weeks. I'm having a bit of an algae problem at the moment....likley because I once cleaned the cup and neck weekly and that was better. I'll probably go back to weekly now.