Sam (and his mom's) 57G Rimless

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting plumbing modification, you'll achieve a higher water level than the stock setup for sure.  Nice work! 

Check out the Coral+.  It is an amazing bulb imo.  MUCH better than Aquablue specials.  Either way, great tank!

Will do, thanks!  

Ohh I like it!

The rocks seem like they are floating...very very nice......

Thank you!  I'm a little worried it looks unnatural with them floating like that, but hopefully it'll be better with coral.  Not sure.

Sam. That looks awesome.

Thanks eric!

Dude, really nice. This is going to be a killer dt.

I hope so, super excited to see it grow and evolve.

Wow what an amazing build and aquascape. Really beautiful.

Thanks!

Interesting plumbing modification, you'll achieve a higher water level than the stock setup for sure.  Nice work! 

I'm definitely getting a higher water level, but I'm getting next to no surface skimming and that is driving me crazy.  I'll have to figure something out.  I HATE the Deep Blue overflow.

Nice job Sam...  Whats the plan for stocking the tank, other than whats in the nano.?

Also, what sand did you use.?

Planned stocking list is on the first post.  Aside from fish/inverts, I want the tank to slowly become almost exclusively sps, but that will take time for the frags to grow and I don't want to be looking at a tank of frags for years while I wait.  I'll start with it as a mixed reef and grow from there...

Awesome! Great looking rock work, good job!

Thank you!

A little update to the water making set up:

I ordered some barrel "shower caps" (not really sure what they're called) from US plastics.  Was going to go with a hard cover, but those were about $60 a pop, versus $4.  This keeps crud from getting into the barrels.  It'll also allow us to mix salt water in the big barrel, then shut off the valve for RO/DI water, thus keeping the salinity in the barrel constant until we decide to fill it up again.

null_zps03b7b260.jpg

In the salt water barrel I have two pumps.  A mag 9.5 for mixing and heating the water (gotta love mag pumps), and a mag 12 for pushing the water upstairs when I hit the switch.  This means that, in theory, we'll only have to go downstairs to pour in salt for a new batch of salt water and not have to mess with anything else at any other time.  
null_zps49171bed.jpg

Super clean looking build so far! 

How much space did you save trimming down the overflow? It looks like you went from 7 slots down to 3. Sorry I thought someone asked this before but I couldn't find it. I might plan on doing something similar if my upgrade plans work out.

Based on your pics, it looks like you went with the herbie style drain. I'm in no means an expert on this, so take my obversation how you will. Not meaning to offend or anything. It looks like you have your full siphon water level too high.  Maybe thats why you're not getting the skimming you're looking for? I always thought the water level in your overflow should be slightly lower than the teeth of your overflow to allow the skimming to happen. 

Check out this link: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ maybe it can help with your issue.

and a mag 12 for pushing the water upstairs when I hit the switch.

Can you explain this a bit more? I'm trying to simply my wc's too and I have my water 1 level below the tank floor. What do you do w/ the water outlet? Do you keep it clipped on the tank/sump while you turn on the pump from the basement? Or do you turn on the pump and hold the water back w/ a ball valve while you run upstairs to let the water start running? Thanks.

Super clean looking build so far! 

How much space did you save trimming down the overflow? It looks like you went from 7 slots down to 3. Sorry I thought someone asked this before but I couldn't find it. I might plan on doing something similar if my upgrade plans work out.

Based on your pics, it looks like you went with the herbie style drain. I'm in no means an expert on this, so take my obversation how you will. Not meaning to offend or anything. It looks like you have your full siphon water level too high.  Maybe thats why you're not getting the skimming you're looking for? I always thought the water level in your overflow should be slightly lower than the teeth of your overflow to allow the skimming to happen. 

Check out this link: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ maybe it can help with your issue.

It took about 2.5 inches off the overflow.  That doesn't sound like much, but the amount of space saved is huge.  The overflow used to come out literally half way into the tank, now it's about 1/4 of the way.  

Yes, I'm doing a herbie overflow.  You're right about how it's not running right, but the reason for that (and the reason I said I hate deep blue overflows so much), is because the teeth for the deep blue overflow go way too low and the adjustable overflow height doesn't work.  If I didn't have the overflow pipe up so high, the water level would drop to the bottom of the overflow teeth which is about 3 inches below the top of the tank.  I will probably end up siliconing the teeth mostly closed, which will keep the water level up.

Can you explain this a bit more? I'm trying to simply my wc's too and I have my water 1 level below the tank floor. What do you do w/ the water outlet? Do you keep it clipped on the tank/sump while you turn on the pump from the basement? Or do you turn on the pump and hold the water back w/ a ball valve while you run upstairs to let the water start running? Thanks.

Check out post #19, that should explain it pretty well with pics.

The water outlet comes through one of the holes in the back of the tank and straight into the sump.  It has a ball valve on the end, just in case someone accidentally hits the switch, but it's not necessary.  I passed the water hose through the hole ALONG WITH an extension wire.  This allows me to plug in the pump in the same place that the outlet goes to.  Absolutely no going up or down stairs.

Check out post #19, that should explain it pretty well with pics.

The water outlet comes through one of the holes in the back of the tank and straight into the sump.  It has a ball valve on the end, just in case someone accidentally hits the switch, but it's not necessary.  I passed the water hose through the hole ALONG WITH an extension wire.  This allows me to plug in the pump in the same place that the outlet goes to.  Absolutely no going up or down stairs.

Thank you. I missed the part about the extension cord. This gives me some ideas.

And....back on topic. Very nice build!

It took about 2.5 inches off the overflow.  That doesn't sound like much, but the amount of space saved is huge.  The overflow used to come out literally half way into the tank, now it's about 1/4 of the way.  

Yes, I'm doing a herbie overflow.  You're right about how it's not running right, but the reason for that (and the reason I said I hate deep blue overflows so much), is because the teeth for the deep blue overflow go way too low and the adjustable overflow height doesn't work.  If I didn't have the overflow pipe up so high, the water level would drop to the bottom of the overflow teeth which is about 3 inches below the top of the tank.  I will probably end up siliconing the teeth mostly closed, which will keep the water level up.

Wow 2.5"! Thats real estate gold!

Ah thanks for clarifying. I was unware the DB tanks had their teeth set so low.

Ah thanks for clarifying. I was unware the DB tanks had their teeth set so low.

Soooooo low. 

Very nice!  Things are really coming together.  For the water change, are you going to enable a distant switch that's at your tank or just one at the barrel i.e. will you be able to see what the water is doing when it comes out?  Is the output for the pipe in your sump?  

Very nice! Things are really coming together. For the water change, are you going to enable a distant switch that's at your tank or just one at the barrel i.e. will you be able to see what the water is doing when it comes out? Is the output for the pipe in your sump?

The switch is at the tank right next to where the water comes out. So yes, I can see what the water is doing as it comes out into the sump (yes, the pipe is in my sump).

I'll try to get some better pics to explain it better!

The switch is at the tank right next to where the water comes out. So yes, I can see what the water is doing as it comes out into the sump (yes, the pipe is in my sump).

I'll try to get some better pics to explain it better!

Cool, great idea.  I have something similar but with a hose coming from my mixing pump that goes back into my mixing tank when I don't need it but can be easily transferred to the sump when I need to add water.   

Sam, thanks for your help today. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i like the floating rock look too. also very interested in your stocking list. interested to hear with your experience with the venustus and quarantine. i have a few now and wanted to share notes. :happy: