Sam (and his mom's) 57G Rimless

I'm sorry for the lack of updates guys.  I'm back at school now, but I'll see if my mom has some time to get some good pics.  Tanks is doing well, we just don't put a whole lot of money into it, so it's not very full.  It got better over the Summer and I think I'd just like to add 2-3 more nice sps and then let it grow out.  

Current fish list:

- White Tail Tang (incredible fish!)

- Ruby Red Dragonette Male (still looking for a healthy female!)

- African Flame Back Angel

- Clownfish Pair (I decided I didn't like the domino's anymore so switched to these guys, which are hosting the elegance coral.  Eventually I'll get some nice Picasso's or a pair of those Peace Keeper Clownfish that were recently released, if I can ever find any).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the floating rock look too. also very interested in your stocking list. interested to hear with your experience with the venustus and quarantine. i have a few now and wanted to share notes. :happy:

Sent you a PM, I've put several through quarantine and only one has made it, but then I made a stupid mistake and it passed away.  I was furious with myself for that one.

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Sorry for the lack of updates to this.  I'm home for break now and had knee surgery last week so it's given me a lot of time to do stuff around the house/with the fish tank.  So here's an update:

I tried the time lapse feature on the gopro, one photo every 60 seconds for one light cycle.  Here's what I got: Time Lapse VideoI'm not too happy with the location of the camera as it doesn't show a lot of my corals in the back, but still pretty cool.  I got some sweet stills out of this, still going through them, but will post that later.

I posted a thread/novel yesterday here about my Ruby Red Dragonets.  Finally picked up a female this week, and 72 hours later they did their first mating dance!  It's hard to see, but they rise up behind the birdsnest.  

The tank has been doing well in general.  SPS doesn't grow too fast because conditions aren't perfect (no filtration, water changes only once every 3ish weeks, and I don't want my Mom to have to deal with dosing, so nothing is really tested).  I have noticed the my LPS has been growing fairly quickly, especially my elegance coral which is now relegated to a corner because I have no room for it.

I decided to ditch the domino clowns and go with regular ocellaris for a while instead- Just wanted a change.  The male ended up dying this last semester from what I think was a bacteria infection, so I just added a juvi a couple weeks ago and the pair are doing incredibly together- hosting my elegance and RBTA.  

There have been some aptasia issues so I added three peppermint shrimp over Thanksgiving.  It seems to have helped and now two of the peppermints are bearing eggs along with both of my cleaner shrimp.  The cleaners release babies about every two weeks and shed about once a month.  They are huge and love stealing food from everyone.  

I added a trio of female Lyretail Anthias over this break too.  The problem is they are ALL showing the extended first dorsal spine which makes me wonder what will end up happening and if any of them will turn male.  Thoughts?

Current fish/invert list is:

-Clown Pair and RBTA (Female and juvi)

-Flameback Angelfish

-White Tail Tang

-Goby/pistol shrimp pair

-Lyretail Anthias Trio (3 females all showing extended 1st dorsal spines)

-Ruby Red Dragonet Pair (mating dances, no eggs yet)

-Cleaner Shrimp Pair (both bearing eggs)

-3x Peppermint Shrimp (two bearing eggs)

-Various CUC

In QT now, to add in a couple weeks:

-yellow banded possum wrasse

-orange spotted blenny

-yellow candy hog

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Tanks looking great. I love the time lapse video. The biggest thing that stands out to me is that cleaner shrimp jostling all over the place. They are some of my favorite parts of my reef tank, and on my part added on whim. GoPro is another expensive toy to add to my list of wants.

It went well, I was able to go back to work today so that's good!  Thanks for asking.

Yeah! Glad you're doing well.

I was going to stop by tomorrow for the corals we discussed via PM, but my bank account is telling me I should push this back. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to editing a better video of the Ruby Reds Mating.  While I was home they did their dance almost every night.  Jan 14 was the first time I saw them release eggs, which were quickly gobbled up by the anthias.  

This was my first time editing together a gopro video, let me know what you think!

https://vimeo.com/118376191

Thanks!  I go into a lot of discussion on this thread here: http://wamas.org/forums/topic/70866-ruby-red-dragonets-mating-dance/ about the process I went through to get these fish.  I have had the male for over a year, and at the time of this video I had only had the female for 10 days.  So, no, it wasn't hard to get them to pair.  The hard part is getting them healthy enough that they are capable of surviving by the time you get them in your fish tank.  The females are especially hard to find healthy- hence it being over a year before I finally found a female.

• 3 months later...

Looking great! In love with the scape all over again! Your mom is doing a wonderful job!

How has the temperment been on the candy hog? Love it the look of those, maybe better than peppermint

Thanks!  They are Lyretail Anthias.  Added all three as females and one changed to male, pretty cool!  

The hog is ok.  He isn't aggressive to the other fish, but ate my cleaner shrimps and stresses my pistol/goby pair out (the goby is now SUPER protective).  He's pretty interesting though, fun to watch, and if we forget to feed for a couple of days or he gets bored he'll blow sand and move anything that isn't glued.  

We're actually going to try to remove him at some point. He's a fish that I have wanted for a long time, I've always liked the look of them, but he is the same color as the anthias and is a problem for the reasons above....

Thanks!  They are Lyretail Anthias.  Added all three as females and one changed to male, pretty cool!  

The hog is ok.  He isn't aggressive to the other fish, but ate my cleaner shrimps and stresses my pistol/goby pair out (the goby is now SUPER protective).  He's pretty interesting though, fun to watch, and if we forget to feed for a couple of days or he gets bored he'll blow sand and move anything that isn't glued.  

We're actually going to try to remove him at some point. He's a fish that I have wanted for a long time, I've always liked the look of them, but he is the same color as the anthias and is a problem for the reasons above....

Thanks for the observation. I was hoping for better news, but I was worried of similar. Really dig this tank, impressive it's in such good shape with you away at school and all

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dang!  They are mischievous!

I was out of the country for my whole summer and now I'm back at school, so not much has changed.  One thing that's especially not changing is the water....  I need to find a way to make water out a flip switch just like water in is.  I have it in my head but haven't had a chance to do it.  Rolling out the long hose and starting a siphon is not my moms favorite activity so WCs don't get done too often.  Surprisingly, this hasn't caused any negative effects.  Everything is growing pretty fast and is at the point where I have to trim stuff every time I'm home.  

We did lose the flowerpot monti while I was out of the country.  I suspect due to alk swings as we don't test or dose.  I've noticed monti caps become very sensitive to these swings as they get larger.  Has anyone else noticed this?  

In May we also lost the Ruby Reds which was very disappointing.  I think having two of them in this size tank, plus how active they were with mating, led them to deplete the pods pretty fast, so the male disappeared and the female about a week later.  The female always looked great, but the male started getting skinny.  It's possible that it was natural given that he had grown to by by far the biggest ruby red I've ever seen, but not sure.

We also won TOTM for July if you guys haven't had a chance to check that out! http://wamas.org/totm_previous.php?prev=totm-2015-07

• 2 months later...

Quick growth/picture update!  Top picture is from January of this year, bottom is from today, both quick cell pics but the growth has been awesome!  No dosing, no testing, just water changes every 3-4 weeks.  I'm blown away that it's doing so well (though my monti caps haven't fared the best, penning it down to likely alkalinity issues, but I don't test so don't know!).  

FullSizeRender_zpsxmtmmhsn.jpg

IMG_9073_zpse9mmfc9c.jpg