monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when i saw the clarion on the list to go up tonight, i thought just maybe it'll be within reach because of the years it has been since the initial batch came in and excitement has perhaps died down and then they were selling for $2400-2700 and now it'll have to be much less. NOPE. needless to say, i am without a clarion, haha. there are some fanatics for this fish and surprisingly it did take a couple hours before it was gone

clarion_zps8253fefa.jpg

when i saw the clarion on the list to go up tonight, i thought just maybe it'll be within reach because of the years it has been since the initial batch came in and excitement has perhaps died down and then they were selling for $2400-2700 and now it'll have to be much less. NOPE. needless to say, i am without a clarion, haha. there are some fanatics for this fish and surprisingly it did take a couple hours before it was gone

clarion_zps8253fefa.jpg

Awesome that its tank bred though.  I can't imagine how much work goes into raising one to the point that it gets to be this size.  Beautiful fish.  Having said that, I can think of better ways to spend 5 grand.  Like a down payment on a car, my mortgage for three months, or my entire new build lol.

i've been so tired lately with long nights and busy days so posting has been non-existent lately, sorry. i did pick up a 4x8 block of the marine pure ceramic media to try out. going to raise off the bottom and put a bunch of these in my sump and a couple in the nem propagation tank as it's really easy to peel nems off of it if they decide to attach their foot on them.

had very little dust but it is suggested to rinse over tap then with RODI prior to adding to your system. i swished it around in some water headed to the drain from the last water change and looked good to go. these things hold an immense amount of water which led me to believe it's "pore network" must be equally impressive so hopefully great result but that will be near impossible to quantify.

7d535bb4-9ab4-4d4e-9822-a058b446a313_zps

55102405-0650-43a2-b59a-1837963876aa_zps

my tank build was posted up by the r2r folks on their fbook page and within just a few minutes i had over 300 folks reading my build thread which i thought was really neat. thankfully a couple folks from this forum let me know (thanks jack and jack) otherwise i would never have put that together, haha. numbers were much less later in the night but still 135 folks 8 or so hours later was really cool to see.

ab317b2b-bdd4-4903-a734-db52007153b1_zps

my tank build was posted up by the r2r folks on their fbook page and within just a few minutes i had over 300 folks reading my build thread which i thought was really neat. thankfully a couple folks from this forum let me know (thanks jack and jack) otherwise i would never have put that together, haha. numbers were much less later in the night but still 135 folks 8 or so hours later was really cool to see.

ab317b2b-bdd4-4903-a734-db52007153b1_zps

Congrats again! Your build certainly deserves getting some traffic. Just don't forget to post updates here, the little forum called WAMAS before you get too big. :laugh:

Lol... I may have seen it on there also...

i'm not plugged into all these social media thingamajigs - you got to reach out! now back to posting your plumbing updates!

Congrats again! Your build certainly deserves getting some traffic. Just don't forget to post updates here, the little forum called WAMAS before you get too big. :laugh:

Seriously don't forget about us little people Mr. famous!

:rolleyes: you guys are ridiculous. wamas = home. besides out of all those people that visited, not a single person posted anything so i dont think they were very impressed, haha.

got a sweet fish update coming up!

:rolleyes: you guys are ridiculous. wamas = home. besides out of all those people that visited, not a single person posted anything so i dont think they were very impressed, haha.

got a sweet fish update coming up!

Because they were at a loss for words. Probably because you haven't stocked it yet, haha. Lets hear about those fish!

Is the marine pure ceramic media a replacement for live rock? Can it be used in a sump to supplement live rock?

Any risk for becoming a nitrate factory like bioballs?

Awesome tank thread!

(edited)

was replacing the filter socks today and thought i'd grab a quick video of how pods are freaking taking over my tank, haha.

i removed the filter sock from my sump and tossed it into a bucket and when i went to toss the filter sock in the washer, i shake it a bit and this is what gets left behind :ohmy:

Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

Is the marine pure ceramic media a replacement for live rock? Can it be used in a sump to supplement live rock?

Any risk for becoming a nitrate factory like bioballs?

Awesome tank thread!

it's simply a way to add a very large amount of surface area for biological filtration. yes, it can be used anywhere in your system to supplement liverock. read/watch more about it here. pretty awesome review so thought i'd give it a go since my custom ceramic structures might put me on the "minimalist" design list and i plan to have a very high bio-load when all said and done and need to support that as best i can within my aesthetic desires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByTzKjqYA2

Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

Thats insane. Not sure what youre doing right, but I dont have nearly that many pods.

put a filter sock on your drain and see how many guys you pull out after three days - you'll be surprised!

wowza!

yeah the first time it surprised me too but that pales in comparison to the pod activity in my fuge/macro tank. this is after harvesting a couple weeks ago :blink:

Edited by monkiboy

Hey I think you mentioned somewere. I know sublime did, about achilles tangs wasnt sure if you were going to get one.I went by roozen today and saw two Achilles tangs there. Didnt ask how much but his fish are usually cheaper than most others.

(edited)

Man I would love to have some of those guys for my tank. Help feed various critters. :bounce:

i saw some folks get in on a reefs2go order not long ago and i think you get a good value especially when they do their bogo sales. just keep your eyes peeled!

Hey I think you mentioned somewere. I know sublime did, about achilles tangs wasnt sure if you were going to get one.I went by roozen today and saw two Achilles tangs there. Didnt ask how much but his fish are usually cheaper than most others.

thanks for the heads up. check out the page before in this thread. i posted up an achilles goldrim hybird tang. now that i've seen that guy, i've got to have the hybrid, haha. i'm also going to have to wait until i'm much further down the fish list before adding some of the more aggressive and bigger guys like the achilles.

i wish i was further along and had everything going with my wires organized, equipment panel, and water station and my fish list but it just takes so much time between organizing, researching, quarantine and treating, etc. but i'm getting there...

O yea the by the way greatest build ever with the best guy you could ever meet haha

thanks man, i'm glad you finally posted up!

Edited by monkiboy

it's simply a way to add a very large amount of surface area for biological filtration. yes, it can be used anywhere in your system to supplement liverock. read/watch more about it here. pretty awesome review so thought i'd give it a go since my custom ceramic structures might put me on the "minimalist" design list and i plan to have a very high bio-load when all said and done and need to support that as best i can within my aesthetic desires.

Link didn't work :(