monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any reason you didnt use FRP board instead of the pvc?

It looked like FRP to me. Maybe it is the same stuff?

alan is right. i found out the guys bought it at home depot and when i looked it up by the SKU on the receipt, it came as as FRP wall-board not PVC panel/or sheet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836#.UiSzhD9_GNo

pardon my confusion, guys.

ok got some more pics of the final pieces of the rock structure - it's really starting to blow my mind that this will soon be showcased in my tank and i'll have such a gorgeous layout to work with and can get my cycle started!

dba95afb-309b-433b-8d7f-176877a061f8_zps

43fcfe5a-761d-4381-bbfd-5e6ba33d8b26_zps

d7690d73-0abd-4838-ac27-483d8fe28dc2_zps

one possible aquascape with three of the pieces. i've been told it's very hard to convey but there is a great sense of depth with the pieces and how they slant away from the viewer both for mounting corals and to make the tank feel deeper than it is. i can't wait to play around and put together my final pieces in my 265!
7336d03c-5e72-4a21-b9b0-1d9d92b71573_zps

Edited by monkiboy

haven't done much but the stand for the frag and refugium tank was bothering me as i never did coat/redgard the underside of it and only did one coat vs the three i did on the stand for the 265 and area above so the perfectionist in me had to fix that. did two more coats and did the underside of the whole structure and the legs for good measure, haha.

photo_zps31a2beb0.jpg

photo1_zpseb1414e7.jpg

Lol... And I thought I was the only one with OCD,lol

Good call though, never to much waterproofing can be done...

oh come on, not OCD rather meticulous. i mean, right? haha

ordered some more plumbing parts for this project from flexpvc.com to give them a try as it has been a while. i forgot that it takes freaking a week to get anything from them and they don't ship anything USPS - their sole shipper is UPS, unfortunately.

i went to them because they carry just about every unique plumbing fitting one can ever need. so when i went looking for 1.25" bulkeads, 1.25" sch80 pipe and true union gate valves they had it all and i gave it a go.

the fittings all look fine but the pipe looks janky at best. it's obviously abused and thrown around - it arrived all scraped up, scratches and small gouges in it and that just does not fly for plumbing that i am going to have exposed for oogling. if this were going in a wall somewhere that is fine but not for something that i plan to basically show off (show off plumbing, weirdo right?). the stuff i got from BRS is glossy and in mint shape but BRS doesn't carry 1.25 so i'm going to just bush up to 1.5" or down to 1" from the return's 1.25" fitting, i guess.

here's the 1.25" pipe from flexpvc.com

photo_zps60c2e849.jpg

and the whole package that arrived today:

167e50de-6f7b-4d46-8903-06bfd07f0db3_zps

Wow..very interesting, not only does the time factor give them a negative, but I'm kinda the same way with my plumbing...I like it to look new...not used and recycled,lol

Call and complain! Ina nice way of course :)

It does wonders..atleast they should send you new pipe..and not charge you to send back the junk they sent to begin with,lol

Edited by smallreef

Wow..very interesting, not only does the time factor give them a negative, but I'm kinda the same way with my plumbing...I like it to look new...not used and recycled,lol

Call and complain! Ina nice way of course :)

It does wonders..atleast they should send you new pipe..and not charge you to send back the junk they sent to begin with,lol

recycled, yes - that is a good word for it :happy:

yeah, i'll get a call or email out to them and see if they can do anything about it. it is pipe after all but if it's going to look like crap, then they need to post pictures of it or make mention, perhaps? i don't know if that's unreasonable for this item but i'll make my request and see what they want to do it about it and i'll never buy pipe from them or fittings that i need in a hurry.

Edited by monkiboy

I just bought 100' of 1/2" tubing from them. No issues. It did take a bit, but couldn't beat the price. BRS knows what their customers are using it for...i doubt 5% of flexpvc customers are showing off their pipes...

I just bought 100' of 1/2" tubing from them. No issues. It did take a bit, but couldn't beat the price. BRS knows what their customers are using it for...i doubt 5% of flexpvc customers are showing off their pipes...

yeah, i doubt it as well which is why i'll ask and if perhaps this isn't the norm then he might be inclined to do something about it. just wasn't expecting it is all.

yeah, i doubt it as well which is why i'll ask and if perhaps this isn't the norm then he might be inclined to do something about it. just wasn't expecting it is all.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but could you paint it? Would that be too much unnecessary work? I think this is what you're looking for ;) The price is a bit steep though.

The white PVC I get from Lowes is always all beat up like that.  Like someone just rolls it around on the asphalt behind the store before putting it on the shelves.  Which it turns out is pretty much what they do with it.

I got a box of fittings from FlexPVC a while ago which were all good, but never got pipe from them.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but could you paint it? Would that be too much unnecessary work? I think this is what you're looking for ;) The price is a bit steep though.

+1

Go with blue. With the red white you have on the stand and walls it would be soo patriotic :)

Edited by lnevo

shhh - i'm working on it ;)

The white PVC I get from Lowes is always all beat up like that.  Like someone just rolls it around on the asphalt behind the store before putting it on the shelves.  Which it turns out is pretty much what they do with it.

I got a box of fittings from FlexPVC a while ago which were all good, but never got pipe from them.

:chuckles: i wouldn't doubt it - i've seen a lot more odd things happen at a home depot

+1 Go with blue. With the red white you have on the stand and walls it would be soo patriotic :)

just wait you see!

Check with NAGA for cool colored pipe.  I beleive he carries different colors.

pimped out aqariums = NAGA, actually. check out his site!

Update Sir. Stuck in Norfolk. Need some inspiring reading.

i know, i know. i'm slacking. i'll definitely have exciting news by saturday though ;)

So now I'm totally hooked on the cerameco pieces...just ordered a grotto and frag rock!

Can't wait till you get water in your tank to see it in all of its splendor!

i'm excited to see our piece in your tank with water and corals and fish in the barnacles, haha. did you order the grotto and frag rock through aquatecture?

Yep...can't wait! My husband loves the bonsai piece...he doesn't usually TELL me to buy things for the tank,lol

And Mattiejay.... I was there last week, so I looked at their pieces first...but not what I was looking for...